Switchers Stories - Page 9 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 AM

Reclined Lounger

I think I started with a 128MB Apacer MP3 player (which I happen to still have) a few years ago, went to a 1GB Apacer (they were so reliable!) and then the 20GB iPod U2 photo edition which the mainboard died - and it was hellishly expensive to replace.

I went back to using the second Apacer (which I have working STILL), still working as we speak and eventually the 80GB classic came out which I was sorely disappointed with (sold it off), and then found a touch pretty cheap and that's pretty much my sole player now. So there you go.

I think I've stayed iPod because they're usually reliable, but this latest batch has made me think twice.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

Started off with cassette players since CDs were insanely expensive back then.
Moved on to my first CD player around 2001 which was a Sony with no shock protection. That made for an unpleasant listening experience during my 1 hour bus rides to school. After that I got a Casio player with mp3 support but a fellow classmate of mine smashed it to pieces when he dropped it (thanks Joe).
I started off my mp3 player experience with a 40mb player which doubled as a cassette. Forgot the exact brand but it had about 8 mb of internal memory and supported SD cards.
Then I moved on to a generic 256mb player which had a display screen :O.

I finally moved to iPods a few years ago when a friend of mine sold me his 1G 4 gig nano for 100$. Then I gave that to my brother. Went back to a mini for a few months then gave that to my other brother as well.
And now I have the 4G nano; my first iPod with video support.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:09 AM

Geek

From 2002-4 I used a Sony Discman. That was my first foray into portable audio in a long time. Not bad, but the 1 disc at a time is quite lame today of course. I had a few boom boxes in the '80's I guess (cassette + FM).

My first MP3 player was an iPAQ 5555, a Windows Mobile (2003) device. I'd been programming for them since 1999 but only in late 2003/early 2004 did I embrace the digital music revolution and try using Windows Media Player (WMP) on the iPAQ for digital music. Talk about painful, when I'd add an album (a folder of MP3's) to a playlist on the device, the playlist would be built in reverse alphabetical order. Since WMP on the desktop ripped tracks with track #s in the names, that means track 12 is first, track 11 is second and track 01 is dead last. So to reorder them I would have to highlight track 12, and press the down button 11 times. Then highlight track 11 and press the down button 10 (or was it 9?) times, and so on. Or you could go to the bottom and highlight track 1 and press up 11 times if you were bored with down. Argh! And this was for every album you wanted to add a playlist for so that you could play the album in the correct sequence. (And I was trying to swap out different groups of albums on a 256 MB SD card.) Talk about frustration.

My 2nd MP3 player was a Toshiba e800 Windows Mobile PDA. A much better device than the iPAQ but still saddled with WMP. I tried some free alternatives like the populate Beta Player (later TCPMP), but they weren't much better.

Then in early 2005 my wife got a free 1st gen iPod mini from some convention at work and gave it to me. On the surface it seemed so limited since "all" it would do was play music and it had this dinky little black & white screen compared to the gorgeous full color 640x480 screen on my Toshiba. But guess what? It was simple to fill, simple to manage my music on the desktop (I much preferred iTunes to Windows Media Player), simple to make playlists (with no manual reordering necessary), simple to use the device, and it's a much sturdier (less fragile) device than a PDA so no trouble taking it to the gym for a workout. I was hooked.

In the Fall of 2005 I decided to get a full-sized iPod (4G) and a Klipsch iFi 2.1 speaker dock to serve as a minimalist home stereo system. The whole thing (aside from the subwoofer) fit on our fireplace mantel- perfect! I also couldn't resist getting the new 1st gen nano to replace the mini as my portable player of choice (no real need to, but I couldn't resist that gorgeous color screen and über-thin design).

I still used my PDA for listening to music IF I needed to take my PDA with me for other reasons, but if I only needed music I would take either the mini (or later the nano). This continued until last Fall when I finally got myself an iPhone. Bye, bye PDA's. After a several year love affair, I no longer loved any Windows Mobile PDA; I only had eyes for the iPhone. Now that's the device that goes everywhere with me. My nano and mini don't get to go anywhere any more. I should probably sell them off. I still have the 4G (and now a new Classic) in a speaker dock for music at home, so those get used all the time.

32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad WiFi
160 GB AppleTV, 120 GB iPod classic (silver), 16 GB iPhone (deactivated) + 3 Macs
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

I was a creative girl right from the start. When I was around 15/16 I got my first mp3 player, a creative zen micro in purple. It was tiny and I loved it! It did the job and fit my very small amount of music at the time on with ease. I then got a 30gb Zen Vision M for passing my driving test, I loved it, especially the way I could put videos and films onto it with ease. Then it broke and I inherited my dads old Zen Vision same as mine...managed to break that too...woops!

Then came the turn of the ipod! My mum was getting a new car which was ipod compatible so she wanted to get one (she had a really old zen touch before) but she didn't really know how to use or setup an ipod. So i managed to persuade her to get me one too so we could help each other...sneaky! Anyways thats how I got my new Ipod Classic 80gb. Which I immediately fell in love with. Creative just couldn't compare. I don't know what exactly it is about an ipod but its just so swish and nice and irresistable haha!

My whole family had always been against ipods but after seeing our shiny new ipods my dad and brother were convinced to move away from their 60gb zen visions to much bigger 160gb ipods! From being a family completly against the whole ipod craze we switched to avid fans within a week!

Since then (which was about 2months ago) My ipod classic 80gb broke....not a good sign, the screen got two weird white lines across it. But I sent it back just in time to get a full refund and have got myself a snazzy new Ipod Classic 120gb. The genius feature is awesome and im kind of glad my old 80gb broke! Overall my ipod is my lifeline now! I couldn't live without it!! Go team Ipod

Anyways I should stop writting now but thats just the story of our Creative-->Ipod switch
Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 PM

Junior Lounger

I started with a zune. I think ipods are better. Itunes is way easier to use than zune.

Silver iPod classic 120gb||Griffin iClear case
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

my mp3 history

Simple, I got into portable audio in 2001, with the advent of the intel Pocket Concert. It was good, and once I learned about how everything all worked I wanted something with more substance. In 2003 I picked up an iPod 40GB/3g. I immediately returned it since Best Buy had sold me a used one for the price of a new one. It was so well (re)packaged that I didn't know it was used till I turned it on and found it was thoroughly pre-loaded with all sorts of grunge rock and other assorted noises. So, that wasn't Apple's fault. Anyways I used that 3g unit till I bonked it real good and busted the hard disk. Apple repaired (replaced) it for a fixed fee. In 2005, with my listening habits defined I found that the new nano 1st gen would be my favorite. So I got one, and am still using it. A great little device. I've bonked this one many times, but it being flash-based that is a non-issue. Going on what, now 4 years? I don't see a need to replace this as it has the right feature set (4me) and is sized right.

I also recently, 2 years ago, discovered the merits of iTunes. Previously I'd use winamp and other various 3rd party applications to load my 40GB/3g. But starting with iTunes 6 got a lot of things right and that's what I use now. No need to use anything else, it simply works and that's good enough for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:58 AM

Junior Lounger

I was pretty reluctant to go in for an iPod initially as I was pretty happy with my CD player, had loads of mp3 collection.
But I saw few of my friends totally into it, they used to talk and discuss about it a lot and they all were happy..
So, I finally gave in to this desire and bought my 1st iPod 2 years ago... and I am pretty happy with this SWITCH
Old 10-18-2009, 12:01 AM

I started way back in the year 2000. I had been ripping CDs to mp3s and downloading music off of Napster since about 1998 but I was content with burning audio CDs and using my Walkman to listen to them (yes, I had a CD-RW drive back then, it was an external SCSI drive that set me back by about $500). My collection then grew to include over 100 songs. I got tired of burning 60 minutes of audio to CDs and blank CDs were pretty expensive back then. I would spend about $50 on a 50 pack, not really that cost effective to keep spending $50 to burn my mp3 files to audio CDs.

That is when I purchased the Rio 600. I was going to purchase the first RCA Lyra or the Rio 500 but the Rio 600 was just released. It featured a 12 hour operating time (those other ones would go for 10 hours), a more stylish looking player, a display featuring more lines, and Rio already had a bunch of accessories out for it. I spent $300 on the player and it came with 32MB of built-in storage. That allowed me to carry around over 20 songs (compressed at 64kbps, I didn't know any better back then) so I was always cycling them out. The display was nice as it would show the ID3 tag content for my mp3 files. Pretty much every field was visible. I then spent an additional $250 to get a 65MB memory backpack that came with a built-in rechargeable battery pushing the Rio 600 to the 15 hour mark. 96MB of storage seemed like everything back then. I could sync over 60 songs which meant that I could carry around half of my collection.

That worked until 2002 when the battery in the backpack stopped holding a charge. I then purchased an RCA Lyra for $75 from Wal-Mart. It had 96MB of built-in storage and it also had an SD car expansion slot handling cards up to 512MB in size. The only bad thing about the Lyra is that it didn't have a screen backlight and it would now show song information. It would only display track numbers (as they were stored on the player, the first track copied to it would be assigned track #1), track playtime, and the current time. A great little player that ran on two AAA batteries getting about 17 hours. I used a few rechargeable AAA batteries and that was fine for a while. I then decided to switch from 64kbps Xing mp3 files to 64kbps WMA files.

That worked for a while until my music collection was over 1GB. I grew tired of cycling songs out, not having a backlight (I used to lay in bed listening to the player, college dorms are noisy), and not seeing the song information. That is when I purchased a 1.5GB Rio Carbon. The device was about as big as a 3G iPod nano (only a little thicker), had a 1.5GB micro drive, came with a built-in rechargeable battery that pushed it for 20 hours of usage, and the exterior was made of a black piano finish (ie black glossy finish) that resisted scratches quite nicely. The PC software sucked but I could fit my entire library on that drive. The player was relatively expensive though coming in at $200.

Everything worked fine until the microdrive gave out one day. The technology was new so I wasn't really surprised that it gave out. I then saved up an extra $50, took it into Best Buy, and upgraded to the 20GB Rio Karma (I had Best Buy's replacement warranty). I contemplated getting the 3G iPod but the 8 hour listed battery life wasn't great and the player looked huge in the box (it was the biggest DAP box there and all I could see was the pictures on it). The Rio Karma was known for having bad hard drives and mine eventually failed after only a few weeks of usage. I took it back to Best Buy and tried a 30GB Archos player. Same price, more features (like a built-in line-out port, something that I still miss), and 10GB more storage. The thing was freaking huge but I got used to it. Unfortunately, the hard drive went out as well. That is when I finally decided to get the 3G 10GB iPod.

I figured that I could live with having a large portable player since the 30GB Archos was a little bigger than a 3.5" desktop drive. I took the 10GB iPod home, took it out of the box, and was amazed by the small size. It was a lot smaller than what I was expecting and it was the best looking player I had ever seen. I then downloaded iTunes and saw that it would not work with my 64kbps WMA files (though my downloaded mp3 files worked fine). That is when I deleted all of my WMA files and started ripping my CDs. I chose iTunes and the 128kbps AAC setting, that was the default and I didn't know any better. I started something new: I was ripping entire CDs. I would pick and chose the songs that I liked from my CDs so I would never rip the entire album. I started doing that now and my library grew to 15GB in size. I then gave my 3G 10GB iPod to my Dad and purchased the 3G 40GB iPod. I figured that my collection would grow a lot over time and it did.

I purchased the 4G 40GB iPod when it came out and had about 7GB of free space left. I then upgraded to the 5G 60GB iPod when it came out, the 1G 16GB iPod touch (I got tired of having to always shuffle my songs around), and the 120GB iPod classic. It didn't take long for me to realize that Apple offered the best all around experience. I would normally get about 6 hours of usage with my 3G 40GB iPod but I felt that those 6 hours were a better experience than 15 hours with other players. iTunes was simple and easy to use, the 3G had the best user interface, and I could purchase accessories for it at stores such as Best Buy. The 4G iPod completely upgraded everything with a single clickwheel for navigation yet I was getting about 12-13 hours of usage.

I still think that Apple offers the best all around experience. The iPod UI, iTunes, availability of accessories, features that I use, etc. I feel that the whole package is better than what other companies are offering. Sure, they players might have more features or cost less but they don't have iTunes or they won't have that many accessories or they... I won a Halo 3 Zune at a Halo 3 midnight release party at GameStop. Even when using the latest Zune software, I felt that it was needlessly more complex than it needed to be. I don't like the "new" interface that iTunes 8 and 9 offers as I feel like it is a direct rip-off of what Microsoft did with the Zune software. I also think it is more complex as I have to click on a big picture first just to see all the songs from that artist or on that album. I prefer just seeing everything in a list. Nice, simple, clean, and it contain the most information without having to click through a million things.

So that is my story. I started back before Apple was in the portable mp3 player business and I initially didn't like iPods. After all, they were expensive and only worked with Apple computers. I then learned to get over the high prices and my Apple bigotry (I really didn't like Apple especially since everyone I knew had an Apple computer yet they were always asking me to do things for them such as burn an audio CD, scan a photo, etc. I would ask them why they couldn't use their computer and they would always reply that they either didn't know how to use it or they didn't have the appropriate software). Now I can't stop purchasing iPods. I am now kind of tied to iPods as I have approximately $300 worth of purchased material that contains DRM. I don't mind though so long as Apple continues to make affordable players that I like.

The Zune HD is kind of tempting me but I don't like the Zune PC software. That and 32GB of storage isn't really anything.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

My first MP3 player was actually a fake imitation iPod I bought off eBay. Soon I actually wanted a genuine iPod so I bought the iPod Mini. I soon wanted more space so I sold the Mini and bought the 40gb 3rd Generation iPod. Soon I wanted the feature of video on my iPod so I bought an iPod Video 30Gb. I accidently broke that one days later so I sold it and bought a 60gb Video. Due to financial issues I had to sell the 60gb Video but later I bought a 80gb Classic which is my current iPod.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM

The Best Of The Best!

Well lets see, My first player was the 1st gen 512mb Ipod shuffle. I had this for maybe 3 months but since i had no computer at the time, i was charging and syncing it at my neighbors. So one day i left it glistening in the USB port to charge because I was going on a trip and needed to charge it. So I came back to get it and the ribbon cord the came from the usb to the unit was ripped up. It no longer worked. Then I was going to buy an ipod nano, but I was impatiant so I caved and bought a sansa e100 and used it for about 2 months. After having many issues, i upgraded to a way nicer sansa but I slept on it and crushed the buttons in so it was no longer functional. I went to exchange it because i did really like it, but since they had none in stock i was given the option to swap for a 2nd gen nano. I took that choice and used my nano for over 2 years. Later on I sold it for 40$ and it still works today in the hands of someone else although. After that, i decided to get a 20gb U2 ipod of ebay. I got it, and rockboxed it, and it worked for maybe 7 months. I was pretty happy with it though. After the u2 my grandparents gave me the sansa clip. I used this for maybe 3 weeks and then my parents went to vegas and came home with the 3rd gen nano. I was thrilled. The nano lasted me all thru the summer and then it busted so i went to return it but the only color they had was pink. So my dad shelled out another 70$ dollars so i could get the black ipod classic. It was the 80gb and it lasted me until the 120gb came out and I exchanged for it. After growing tired of that ipod for maybe 2 years, i decided to sell it on craigslist and get a touch. A lady offered me a trade and I took it no questions asked. Now I have my jailbroken ipod touch and have never been happoer with an ipod. but i plan to buy a 3rd gen shuffle to screw around with.

Computers: HP G60T, Ibook Snow G3, HP Slimline.
Ipods: 4.1 2nd GEN MC Ipod Touch 8gb, 2nd gen 4gb nano (awaiting its new clickwheel.)
Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

I started with a Toshiba cassette player a hand-me-down However it died after a while and I just went without my music.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Well, I'm a new member, but I've been lurking around iLounge for quite some time now; usually through Google. I'll share my stories for you guys.

iPod #1 - The Touch: After watching Apple's 2009 keynote address about 10 times, I had the itch for an iPod touch. Of course, I was sold on the iPod touch 2nd generation, as it was the latest and greatest thing and it definitely outdid my mp3 player. I had a Creative Zen Vision:M at the time as my primary player. I still have it, although it doesn't get much use anymore. It's a fantastic player and smokes the iPod Video, but the iPod touch was a whole new animal. I had sworn off the iPods, as I felt they were inferior to Creative's Zen players. (Yeah, I was a fanboy and in some ways, I still am.) But, when I saw that iPod touch for the first time, I wanted it. Bad.

After a couple of weeks of research, I had decided to order a refurbished 1st Generation iPod touch. It didn't have a speaker or volume controls, but a 32GB model was cheaper than a 16GB 2nd Gen. iPod touch. It only made sense to me to order the cheaper one with the higher capacity. I still don't regret my decision. About a week later, it showed up at my door and I have used it every day since then. It's been jailbroken and restored numerous times, but it hasn't been restored in about a year and a half. And yes, it's jailbroken. I still use it and still love it.

iPod #2 - The Classic: My music library had tripled in size since I had gotten my iPod touch in 2009. I had ripped my CD collection, my parents' cd's, and my friends' cd's and downloaded quite a bit of music. It got to the point where I was having to delete albums off of my iPod in order to get new albums on it. That started around February. Around April, I decided it was time to buy my second iPod.

My first thought was a new 4th gen. iPod touch, but the biggest size was 64GB. That's a lot of memory, but there was no reason to buy another iPod touch. My old 32GB was still working flawlessly. That means that I'd have two iPod touch's, and that just didn't make sense to me. I didn't need another player that could surf the web or browse YouTube. I looked at it this way... The problem? Not enough space. The solution? More space. What iPod on the market has the most space? The iPod classic.

Why did it have to be another iPod? Why couldn't it be, say, a Zune? Well, all of my music was already formatted for iTunes. When I priced it all out, a new 64GB iPod touch would cost me $400 shipped. A new 160GB iPod classic costs $228 shipped. As soon as I crunched the numbers, I ordered a black 160GB iPod Classic from Amazon. Two weeks, and an ugly call or two to Amazon later, it finally showed up. My music library is now 9,510 songs strong and growing. With this iPod handling all of my music, I can now let my iPod touch handle my apps, videos. and pictures.

iPod #3 - The Nano: I got a call last week from a good friend of mine saying that he has two iPod Nanos that he wants to sell/trade. They are both 2nd generation iPod Nanos. However, one is a 4GB in blue and the other is an 8GB in black. I told him that I was interested in the blue one, as I figured it would be cheaper than the 8GB. He and I came to an agreement that the black iPod would be a better one to sell than the blue one, so I set my interests for the blue one. Coincidentally enough, I was in the market for an iPod nano, but I didn't want one of those goofy new ones with the touch screen. I wanted an older one with a scroll wheel. Also by coincidence, I liked the blue color better than the black color on the 2nd gen. iPod nano. The black looked really good, but I like the blue better. Besides, I wanted an iPod with some color. My iPod touch and classic are both black. A little color would be a nice change of pace.

So we met up and ended up trading. I traded him a video game (worth about $20 new. It was in brand new condition.) and he traded me the iPod. It was a good deal to me, because the iPod, if he were to sell it, would go about 30-40 bucks without cable or headphones. He gave me the "buddy discount" and eased up on the price, making me a deal I just couldn't turn down. I put about 20 songs on the iPod nano today and it works flawlessly.

These are the stories of my iPods' and how they turned an anti-iPod hardhead into an iPod nut.

P.S. The iPod Classic and touch are both protected by Griffin Reflect cases. They look good and protect well, but the one for the Classic covers the screen, making it difficult to see and operate outdoors. It will most likely get replaced by a Griffin Elan-Form case. The iPod Nano is cased by a Belkin flip case of some sort. It was included with the iPod when I got it.

Last edited by FlyingAce39; 09-04-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquare View Post
I was a creative girl right from the start. When I was around 15/16 I got my first mp3 player, a creative zen micro in purple. It was tiny and I loved it! It did the job and fit my very small amount of music at the time on with ease. I then got a 30gb Zen Vision M for passing my driving test, I loved it, especially the way I could put videos and films onto it with ease. Then it broke and I inherited my dads old Zen Vision same as mine...managed to break that too...woops!

Then came the turn of the ipod! My mum was getting a new car which was ipod compatible so she wanted to get one (she had a really old zen touch before) but she didn't really know how to use or setup an ipod. So i managed to persuade her to get me one too so we could help each other...sneaky! Anyways thats how I got my new Ipod Classic 80gb. Which I immediately fell in love with. Creative just couldn't compare. I don't know what exactly it is about an ipod but its just so swish and nice and irresistable haha!

My whole family had always been against ipods but after seeing our shiny new ipods my dad and brother were convinced to move away from their 60gb zen visions to much bigger 160gb ipods! From being a family completly against the whole ipod craze we switched to avid fans within a week!

Since then (which was about 2months ago) My ipod classic 80gb broke....not a good sign, the screen got two weird white lines across it. But I sent it back just in time to get a full refund and have got myself a snazzy new Ipod Classic 120gb. The genius feature is awesome and im kind of glad my old 80gb broke! Overall my ipod is my lifeline now! I couldn't live without it!! Go team Ipod

Anyways I should stop writting now but thats just the story of our Creative-->Ipod switch
My first mp3 player was a Creative Zen Micro as well, but mine was red. I miss that old thing. It was a heck of a good player. It took one too many drops to the hardwood floor. Operator error. My Zen Vision: M was given to me for Christmas in '07. I still have it and the crappy cheap "leather" case that it's in. Stupid case scratched the crap out of my player. I would have probably been better off without the case. It still works great, though.

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.