Switchers Stories - Page 5 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-05-2006, 01:33 AM

I've been through a lot of mp3 players I must say. The very first one was a Samsung Yepp given to me as a gift. It only heald 64mb and the proprietary software was like hanging myself because it was so damn restrictive and slow, after all it did run off the parallel port... yes that's right parallel.

:shutter: Wow, that was a different time. Anyway, the last mp3 player I had was a 5gb Creative Zen Neeon. It was the size of a Nano with different porportions. The reason I loved that player was the amount of features and the "drag and drop" transfer. I still believe drag and drop is superior to any proprietary software but I suppose iBoons isn't as bad as I first thought.

This last X-mas I got a 5G iPoo and it's rather odd because I didn't ask for one and the person that gave it to me specifically heard me say "I don't like iPoos". The only reason I gave it a chance was because of the Video capability which I've absolutely loved. The 5G has been a great VIDEO experience because I use it more for a video player than an mp3 player since at this point I have wayyyyyyyy more video files than actual songs on it at this point. It's been so good that for work I've substituted my laptop in favor of watching movies on my iPoo. That's crazy talk if you ask me. Also, amazingly is I believe this is a better portable product than the PSP because of so many reasons.

The only thing I haven't liked and have been real frustrated with is the damn batt life during videos. I still don't understand why this thing can't just be run directly off the wall outlet. People say it does but it hasn't for me.

Mp3 players are just about organization and with that said the previous players I've had didn't do too well but it didn't do too bad either. This iPoo is just different from them not better and there is much more hype around the iPoo than it deserves.

See This Before Posting!

Old 03-13-2006, 02:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

My affair with Apple started in 1987 when my father brought home one of the first, number 67 of the 100 Apple IIGS's off the assembly line. It even had a PC transporter and I was the one who used it the most. I kept that computer until 1993 when my mother donated it. It never had a CD-ROM but an old midi-synthesizer. Yes, I did have better computers and still do, though none by Apple.

Between 1987 and 2000 I went through over 30 portable cassette tape decks, about portable CD players and one very abused stereo. The various CD players and tape decks died from falls, dropping via bicycle on my ride to school which was over 7 miles and then work and then back. I and the bike survived but they rarely did. When I had no portable I did once give up all else in my backpack one year to take with me from Chicago to North Carolina via car so I could have both tape deck and CD player.

From 2000 to 2003 I had nothing until later 2002 and that old Rio 300 32mb died quickly due to overuse. The first one lasted less than 2 weeks and the second one lasted 18 months then died dramatically while playing Metallica's Wherever I May Roam. I found it appropriate.

2005 comes around I get a replacement Palm, a Palm Tungsten and buy extra storage to use it as a mini MP3 player. It hated it and Palm software loves Realplayer and I love Winamp...it works well as a PDA and not as a MP3 player so come one day last week when I happen to open my gift and find my little baby, Sonata -- a white 2G nano with a belkin case. And my father seems to like it so much he might get one to replace his Lyca. So in the end my affair with Apple which began with a lowly Apple IIGS and gradually went on hiatus due to better technology comes full circle to me and my iPod Nano, Sonata.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 AM

Reclined Lounger

I got my feet wet with some Flash based players, one with a somewhat hackable firmware.

iPod Video 60 GB - Centrios 4G silicone skin (hole cut bigger for 5G screen), dock connector hacking.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM

I Know You Love Me

It was, I think, an etrio thing quite ugly it was in this very industrial white casing and had a 15GB hard drive from advancedmp3players.co.uk.

I had to buy this because iPods were only firewire and mac only so I used this along for about a year and then it just randomly died on me at the train station so again I went looking and got offered a choice to upgrade to the iRiver iHP110 since I was still in my 1 year warranty and the iHP series had just came out and was making big news with good reviews everywhere. Although I was downgrading to 10GB's in storage space it didnt really bother me since then I had about 480 songs.

Soo, 3 years later on my music grew a lot and I was watching the release of the new 5th gen on a few rumor sites and got the 5th gen iPod day it came out in Apple stores (28th october) and need space so I jumped for 60GB. One of the main reasons was that over the years I was ripping at 192kps and now have started to rip at 320kps these days. Im hoping that this iPod shall last me long and I used to say iTunes suxx0r but now I find it very useful for uploading things automatically and encourages me to correct my tags for files. Heck even my sister who has not had any kind of music player just got her first iPod nano 2gb this year. I now use my PowerMac G4 as my main music hub too.

edit: Just found the bastid of an mp3 player treo thing I had:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Doc Evils; 06-21-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:17 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Chahk
I hope everyoen realizes, I was only joking with my "fanboi" comment. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and far be it for me to bash someone for having one that differs from mine.

Anyways, I'll save my "switch" story for another, non "iPod > *" thread. j/k
I'd like to hear it.... pm when you post it.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:37 PM

Senior Lounger

i don't know if i posted before, but the ipod video 5g 60GB is my very first mp3 player. before i have had various Walkmans and CD players and i grew tired of changing the CD to listen to one particular song on the bus so i invested in a ipod. i was very close to buying a creative zen vision M but changed my mind, and i glad i made the right choice. the ipod is such a great invention music wise, it will evolve the term 'CD Walkman' to 'digital player' i am just imagining what designs we will have 10 years from now, because the ipod is such a diamond to look at .

the really cool thing about the ipod is that it can be your HI FI as well as a digital player. just plug in your RCA cable and you can listen to your songs on one device, i haven't got a remote yet but i will get one eventually. but overall it has been a amazing experience for me.

my last FM

iPod classic 6G 80GB Black
iSkin Evo3 Blue with Sennheiser CX300 headphones
28.09 GB of music.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 AM

Dont touch me, I am EVIL!

well..
i had a Rio Volt SP90 Mp3/CD player since like 6 years ago...i simply loved it cos i had a lot of good memories with it...god bless its soul , it worked for like 4.5 years and it went dead - it cant read CDs any more...not to mention the grief i was in...any who..then i borrowed my brother's MP3 player, a 64MB Diva (with the capability of memory expansion by the luxury of CF - yep, that huge memory card!!!! )...6 months and i threw it away due to bad sectors..or sth like that...then...last year i bought my mini..and i am - thank goodness - extremely happy with it...i wonder if once upon a time there will be a 30 GB 5G ipod...?...probably not....not enough money...

S!lver 2G 4GB Mini with 400 tracks!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Reclined Lounger

i had a crappy 256mb creative nomad, now i have a 30gig 5th gen...
end of story? i think so.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM

Junior Lounger

I can't remember if I posted here or not...

At the end of my eighth grade year (June 2005), my parents decided to let me get a DAP of my choice for bringing up my grade in math that year, as well as overall good performance. I did a lot of research (initially, I wanted an iPod mini), and settled on the Creative Zen Xtra (30gb). I went out one night after getting a drastic haircut and bought the player at BestBuy for $213. I liked it a lot for a while. I soon became frustrated with its size, appearance, and button/scroll functions. I also felt that I could not possibly fill the space I had and I should have gone with a smaller, lower-capacity player.

In April, I was forced to sell my Zen Xtra to a friend for $150. My rat Lenore was sick and I needed the money to cover vet bills.

At the end of this school year (2006), after expressing my frustration to my mother at trying three times to save for an iPod, she decided to split the cost of whichever one I wanted with me. She actually decided to let me order it now (I got it last Tuesday) and pay her in installments. It was an extremely generous thing to do, and I'm very, very happy with my player. My 20gb 4th gen (b/w screen) will probably be my primary DAP for the next 2 years or so, by which time I may want to move up to what is then the latest iPod, or perhaps another brand.

All in all, I think the iPod is far superior to the Zen Xtra in many ways and am extremely happy with my 4th gen. Long live the Black Mamba!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:30 AM

Junior Lounger

My first DAP was a Diamond Rio (pmp300), which was given to me by a friend. After having it
for awhile, back then, I was wanting something more without spending alot. So...I went with a Creative
Nomad IIc and even bought a 128mb SmartMedia card for it, to bring it up to 256mb. After
having that one for a long while, I wanted yet again, more without spending too much. This
brings in the iPod Shuffle that I won from a local radio station. The shuffle worked out just
fine for me, untill I won a 30gig Video iPod. The Shuffle has been handed down to my wife now.
She just loves it.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 AM

Reclined Lounger

had a CD player, bought a 512 MB Memorex mp3 player that was like $110, it was like this round shape, now it is my little brother's.

bought my 5G 30 gig ipod from my last birthday with the money I got and I was like wow I don't have to switch songs off and on my old mp3 player anymore! plus you can watch videos on it...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:35 PM

Junior Lounger

I had an iRiver H140, but eventually got fed up with its very slow startup times and inabiliy to load all my files or play albums in the correct order.
I eventually realised I was spending way too much time looking for 3rd party software to make it work properly!

The move to the iPod has also freed me from MusicMatch, hooray!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 PM

Poolside Lounger

Well here it goes. I started out with an old Sony Walkman. But my dad got fed up with it and threw it out of his bedroom window (2nd floor). Next was a, I think it was an old Sony Discman I got at Cosco's for $5. My dad thought it was broken and jumped on it. It still wouldn't work so he ripped the cover off. It was running but he couldn't change the song. I later found out the hold button was on. Seeing as my dad had already destroyed two of my music playing devices he promised me a new discman with all the "bells and whistles". He got me the Panasonic SL-SX420.

After about a year of burning CDs I got fed up and bought a Creative Muvo TX-FM. $160 that thing was! Shoulda just got an iPod. That was my baby, wherever I was, it was. Then one day I was at Future Shop and I was checking out the iPod nanos and all their features. I fell in love with them instantly.

Next day I went out and bought one. Had to send it away once and used my Panasonic Discman for that week (father didn't destroy it and I sold my Creative to a friend for $30)

I'm in love with my nano and will be investing in a 80GB video as soon as I get my MacBook Pro.

"...he was never proud or vain; he could find something to value in anyone, however apparently insignificant or wretched, and I believe that his early losses endowed him with great humanity and sympathy."
|120GB White MacBook|80GB Black iPod Classic|16GB White iPhone 3G|

Last edited by habsrock13; 10-11-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 AM

Senior Lounger

XD you have one crazy dad there .

my last FM

iPod classic 6G 80GB Black
iSkin Evo3 Blue with Sennheiser CX300 headphones
28.09 GB of music.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 PM

Junior Lounger

1994: became a proud owner of a hand-me-down apple mac se30 from my brother. This was my first computer. It died 3 years later and I bought a pc laptop and became a pc user for the next decade.

5/00: purchased a teal 64mb diamond rio pmp500 for $250... these were the bomb back in the day. don't know about you, but the design and shape seemed like a precursor to the apple ipod. of course the buttons were different and the screen much smaller, but the size was very similar.

7/00: was away from home for 2 months and i forgot my mp3 player so i bought a panasonic cd player for $100.

10/01: ipod comes out. too expensive and don't have an apple mac so no point even considering it.

3/02: sold the rio pmp500 for $100

10/03: bought a samsung yepp55 256mb player for $150... didn't want to spend $$$$ on an ipod so i got this instead. had lots of nice features too.

01/06: bought my brotherinlaw's tibook g4 and i get hooked on itunes and everything mac again... i'm back to my first love.

09/06: hear rumors of new widescreen ipod coming out, start converting dvds to mpeg4 to watch on yet to own ipod.

10/06: couldn't wait for new ipod so i purchased a 5.5g 80gb white ipod yesterday

I can't wait to get it in the mail!!!

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.