Switchers Stories - Page 4 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Re: Re: Switchers Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristiano
Read man, read!
Spamming by fanbois it is then j/k

Quote:
Is iLounge, a site meant for iPod, iTunes and beyond going to publish about someone who switches away from iPod?
I don't know. I thought they might want to have a section dedicated to constructive criticism in their publication, instead of just being another "<WORSHIP>iPod</WORSHIP>" article.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 AM

Music Is Ideas

My swither story..

My first DAP was a Sony minidisc (MZ N505). Got it in 2002. I bought it mainly to record live shows, since it's very small and a single AA battery lasts a lot. Then I started using it as my mp3 player (although had to use Sony's ATRAC format, not really mp3)... but I hated the fact of having to carry many discs around. I knew eventually I'd get an iPod.

In November 2004, I finally decided to get an iPod and got a 4G 40gb (b&w). I still used the MD to record live shows (something we can't do with an iPod). Later in 2005, I upgraded my MD to a HiMD. I got the Sony MZ RH910 basically because of their 1 GB discs that can record up to 45 hrs (up to 7hrs using the same quality as I used with the old MD).

In December 2005, I got my 60gb iPod Video and sold the old 4G iPod.

I still have the 2 MDs but only use the HiMD just to be able to record live music. I'm happy with it, but I'm happier with my iPod

Ben
Old 02-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Switchers Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by Chahk

I don't know. I thought they might want to have a section dedicated to constructive criticism in their publication, instead of just being another "<WORSHIP>iPod</WORSHIP>" article.
if we want constructive criticism, then rest assured that you'll be the first on the list to be contacted

thanks for the offer though!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:26 PM

Junior Lounger

My very first MP3 player was a CD/MP3 player (don't even think it was namebrand) that only listed the directory by number and then the track number. That lasted about 6 months before the stone tiles in my entry hallway decided that it didn't like the player anymore.

My next one was an RCA CD contraption that had a 5 line display and could actually display song info. I thought it was the bomb until I discovered the ipod. It was mac only at the time, so I was kinda bummed since I had not owned a mac in over 5 years. The RCA unit lasted probably about a year or so, then I gave it to my brother when I found a Creative Nomad Jukebox 2LX from walmart (20GB capacity and the same size as a CD player) for half of what a comparable ipod cost. I had not really gotten a good hands on oppurtunity with an ipod at this point, so I wasn't hooked yet.

A coworker came into work one day toting his brand spaking new 30GB 3G and that was it. I was in love. The interface was so intuitive it made my Nomad look like a tapedeck in comparison.

I bought the 4G monochrome on my birthday the following year and haven't looked back since. I just recently got a black 60GB 5G. I'll never go to another player

5G 60GB iPod | 5G 30GB iPod (bad audio chip) | 4G 40GB iPod (Dead hd) | 1G 512MB Shuffle (sold) | 1G 40GB AppleTV w/500GB external drive attached, ssh enabled
3G iPhone 16GB
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz (cracked screen, but external monitor works )
Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sony MP3/CD -> 5G 60GB

After long prevarication I got an ipod 5G 60GB today. I had got a Sony MP3/CD player about 2 years ago b/c budget wouldn't allow an ipod at the time. One of the first things I realized is that playing MP3s makes for much safer driving -- no need to switch CDs every 45-70 minutes, can just wait until you stop for other reasons... I've been generally happy with the Sony, which has worked great (though my mom got one at my recommendation & it died after a few months...) but after I ripped my whole CD collection to mp3 wasn't thrilled with the idea of then burning it all onto CDs (though admittedly the Sony was good in this respect in that it made me backup a bit more than I have lately...using a USB HD for that but HDs aren't the most reliable...). Also the lag when reading in directories & tags when switching CDs was getting annoying.

Anyway I got the ipod and loaded it with a lot of the same music that I had on the mp3 CDs and noticed immediately when I plugged it into the car (using a cassette adapter) that the sound quality is noticeably better, playing the exact same mp3 files -- ipod has brighter treble and richer harmonics on things like solo piano, hand drums -- would need to hook them up to real audio analysis equip. to confirm this but it seems like the ipod has a larger overall dynamic range. Next step is to put some velcro on the back of the ipod case & mount it on the steering wheel...something I couldn't really do with the CD player.

df
Old 02-10-2006, 11:33 PM

Veteran Lounger

Re: Re: Re: Switchers Stories

Quote:
Read man, read!

Is iLounge, a site meant for iPod, iTunes and beyond going to publish about someone who switches away from iPod?
Relax there waterboy. The question was legit and doesn't deserve you type of response. To form an unbiased article that staff may want to include people with a different point of view than yours.

Click the image to open in full size.
What do I know about music? | there is always an objective | Flickr | ebay selling my record collection in the next few weeks, keep watch!!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:18 AM

Power Lounger

Quote:
and doesn't deserve you type of response
au contrare, mon ami. I think anybody who uses the word "fanbois" deserves whatever they get.

iPod Classic 80 GB, Black / iPod Touch 32 GB
iTunes AAC 128 VBR / Etymotic ER 6i
iMac 2.4 GHz / Macbook 2.4 GHz
Old 02-13-2006, 08:46 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by aquatika
au contrare, mon ami. I think anybody who uses the word "fanbois" deserves whatever they get.

Any other day I would agree with you 100%, but he pegged the fanatical behaviour of said person before the response was even given.

What do I know about music? | there is always an objective | Flickr | ebay selling my record collection in the next few weeks, keep watch!!
Old 02-14-2006, 12:18 AM

Junior Lounger

Bright blue Rio DAP, 64MB of Storage, it ran on a AA battery...this thing was the best invention ever to me at the time. I can't even recall what the name of the DAP was, I just know it costed me around $130 dollars and at the time was worth every penny. Quite clunky and a bit of an eye sore with the sparkly blue plastic, this thing went with me all over. I was amazed that I could carry this much music around with me in my pocket. Well during the time I had this, I started learning how to compress music and went to numerous forums on music and DAPs.

I became a real music fan thanks to this gizmo. My musical taste started to sway from bands that graced MTV countdowns to underground bands that avoided such a thing. But with my digital music library growing so large, it became a hassle to keep fresh music growing through my ears from my current DAP. I searched all around for a higher capacity player that offered the best bang for the buck. And every time I found one, it went back to the newly released iPod, something at the time not many people in my area had I never even seen one in person. But by the look of it, it beat out my Rio on every level. It was way too far out of reach on my unemployed middle school allowance of about 8 bucks a week.

I relied back on a mix of CDs and my Rio for my musical needs...until Apple released the Shuffle. I sprang on this DAP as it came out, and loved the portalbility of it and the randomness of it--a view that evolved from my love for the control I had with my Rio. From that my love for music quickly grew as you never seen me without it. I'd end up buying a full size iPod later, but I still have that Rio DAP in my desk drawer just sitting there. Though I never use it, it reminds me of what technology use to be and how I used to be when I didn't listen to the music that I do now.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by aquatika
I think anybody who uses the word "fanbois" deserves whatever they get.
I hope everyoen realizes, I was only joking with my "fanboi" comment. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and far be it for me to bash someone for having one that differs from mine.

Anyways, I'll save my "switch" story for another, non "iPod > *" thread. j/k
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Reclined Lounger

three-time switcher

When I was fourteen I first discovered mp3 players through a friend who had recently purchased an Apple iPod. I was immediately thinking about two things, the iPod is super cool and would be a great electronic for me to have because I have thousands of songs and how am I ever going to afford to pay $399 or $499 (original pricing of iPod’s) for an iPod. So I decided that I would just get a cheaper alternative to the iPod which basically did the same thing as an iPod. After a long extensive search I decided to get a Dell D.J. Jukebox. I purchased the mp3 player for about $200-$250 and I received an in-line remote, carrying case, 2 year warranty, and upgraded earphones. The program which Dell used was great, it was simple, fast and easy to learn. After taking numerous trips and carrying around the Dell I decided it was too heavy and I was tired of people asking “Why didn’t you get the iPod.” I decided to ask Dell to send me a new one due to “playback” issues. They sent me a new one and I made profit off the mp3 player because Dell released the Dell D.J. Jukebox 2nd Generation which didn’t have as great of a battery as the 1st Generation. After selling my refurbished D.J. Jukebox on eBay I decided to purchase the long-life battery (24 hour) Creative-Zen-Touch. I was in love with Creative's system and thought it was easier and more user friend than Dell’s. I was crazy about how I only had to charge the mp3 occasionally (1-2 times a week) however it downfall was that it was heavy. I also enjoyed the scroll pad which is similar to the iPod’s click wheel. Recently I went on a trip to New York City and my taxi driver snagged the Zen Touch from my suitcase when he was taking it out of his trunk. I was very upset and was in the market for my third mp3 player. I decided it was going to come down to the Apple 5th Generation iPod video and the Creative-Zen-Vision-M. After waiting for 2-3 months I was tired of waiting for Creative to release their long awaited Vision M and decided to purchase the iPod because of its lightweight, sleek and sexy look, and their great accessories. I will tell you one thing iTunes is not the greatest mp3 program that I have used because it has some flaws but the 5th generation iPod is by far the greatest mp3 player I have seen yet to date. I love the feel of having an iPod in my hand, I love walking around with it because it is so sexy and light (sometimes I forget I even have it because of it lightweight) and I especially love all the accessories they have to offer for the iPod. Although the iPod does haves its flaws such as it scratches to easily (have yet to find a 5-star scratch remover) and its customer service but other than that there is nothing I can think of about the iPod that I do not like. But who really cares about the customer service? I did not buy the mp3 player for its service it is not a computer nor a car in which you need great support. With my iPod I have received countless comments and “oh I wish I had one of those…” things I had never heard with my other mp3 player. If you are in the market for an mp3 player and you are willing to spend the well-mannered price of $299 or $399 for an mp3 player I SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE AND iPod.

5G 30GB Black iPod Video 2,100 songs 100 Videos 250 Photos

Last edited by frankthetank966; 02-16-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:12 PM

Junior Lounger

I love my 60 GB so far. I've had it for about a month now. I switched over from a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 40 GB when I started hearing random static from the headphone jack- I had heard enough about this issue to know that it would eventually get much worse. I was bummed at first. I really loved that Nomad for its sound quality and hard drive space.

Fortunately I got that product replacement plan from Best Buy so it was as simple as returning the Nomad to the store and getting a full refund, as the Nomad is no longer sold at Best Buy. After doing a ton of research, I decided I had to buy the iPod simply because it has the biggest hard drive out of any DAP that Best Buy sells right now, and when I heard that sound quality had improved in the 5th generation players over previous generations, I was sold. With 20+ gigs already full on my Nomad, I knew that I just would never be satisfied with anything less than 40 gigs. After my refund it only cost me an extra $100 for way more hard drive space and features! I don't use mine for video really, I just enjoy having my entire music collection in one tiny device (at least, much smaller than my Nomad). After all, variety is the spice of life. I never thought I would care much at all about accessories, but it really is nice to have such a wide selection of cases, 3rd party chargers (no way I'm paying 40 bucks), and car mounts so my $400 investment won't be sliding around all over the place. Plus, it's really easy to use and I find myself carrying it around a lot more because it is so lightweight compared to what I am used to.

I really never thought I would convert, and really I did so solely for the extra hard drive space. But then I found out that iPod really is a pretty cool little device, and that owning one doesn't necessarily make you a slave to advertising. Plus, I have to admit I love using its click wheel- it's a far cry from the jog dial that I am used to.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

I switch 2 days ago ... I was tired to have more than 1 media plyer on my pc one was the creative media source for my old zen micro andthe Itunes for my girl mini ipod !!!

She was always saying her was cooler ..something that i never understand of the ipods was the lack of the radio !!

Well when the radio came out I decided to switch ...i was little dissapointed to see that with 204 euros the nano came without an AC adoptor and the radio was an extra 55 euro ...wow !

What i can say i'm very happy that i can see the album arts and use Itunes wich is for me the best media player in the world !

Well sometimes i miss my zenfor 2 big reasons ...smartplaylist on my nano act like stupid playlist they don't update like in my zen used to do ...and is almost impossible to play the ipod nano when the light is off the clickwhell is so small and i miss the backlight buttons on my zen !!!

But afterall i hope that apple will soon fix the bug of the playlist or no in 2 months i will trow my girlfriend's mini (she have to pay she made me switch) and my nano out the window and get a creative vision M again !!!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:04 PM

I'm a Podder

wow, the big switch. my story is long, and probably boring to most, but i shall type it anyway.

i originaly had a product known as the RIOVOLT, made my Rio audio. it was a great MP3/CD player, i could now carry 800mb of music with me. it was great too, because i could play wma's on it, which added greatly to the number of songs i could play on it. i think the model i had first was the sp100. it was big, but looked very nice, and advanced. silver finish, and huge screen, which showed all the id3 tags, and let me see what i was listening to. menu's were nice, and i could do many things. however, i was still in search of a better way to listen to my music, a smaller way as well. this led me to the Iomega Hip Zip player.

ah the hip zip. i thought this player would take off like an F16 getting ready to take out a terrorist country. it was realitivly small, and a darker shade of grey. the top opened to expose a slot, and in this slot you put the propriatary form of media that Iomega offered, these little silver discs. so it was kind of like a sony mini disc player, but the disc's were slightly larger, and could be used over and over again. the player connected via usb 1.1, which wasnt a problem speed wise, because the discs only help 40mb. again, this was a decent music player, at the time i payed $100 US for the player, which came with two disc's. but of course, this was not nearly enough storage for me. so i bought an extra 10 40mb discs. at $10 dollars a disc, this was another $100, meaning that all together i payed a little over $100 for this including taxes. so one day, the player breaks. i was constintly using it, and it broke. i couldnt really complain, other then the fact that now i had $120 of these discs that wont work with anything but a Hip Zip. so i looked to ebay, and bought another one. yep, another Hip Zip player. which also came with two Discs. now i had $140 worth of these disc's that only worked with a single type of music player. about 2 months later, the second player stoped. now i have 2 dead Hip Zip audio players, each with cases, and 14 40mb disc's, with case(kinda like a cd case, but each plastic sheet hold 4 discs on each side) sitting, with now use. a big mistake in the end. the led me to purchase a second RIOVOLT, a newer updated one.

this newer RIOVOLT was the SP150. when i looke at it online it looked like this nice blue, i'll call it electric blue. this was not the case when i got it, oh no. im a guy, and fella's, let me tell you, this thing looked flat out purple. im secure and all that, but it was just plain purple, and after a while, that kind of grates on ya. people always asking, "why'd you get purple?" and needing to explain it. it was a hard time. but the player worked well, excellent skip protection, and again 800mb a disc was nice. then i got my eyes locked on something new, yes, another RIOVOLT. this one was the "mac daddy" of RIOVOLT's, one of the top MP3/CD players out at the time. the SP350.

they called it ultra slim. it was slimer then the others, but no where near as slime as one of the Iriver players out there. but the iriver player didnt have the screen on the player, it was on the cord that came off of the player, the RIO didnt have that, so i thought it was the better choice. build quality slipped on the newest one, it was cheaper plastic, and felt weaker. to counter that, RIO through in a nice leather case that went around the whole thing, exposing the controls and screen. this one came with it all, line remote, car kit, decent headphones, the works. then i got into running, and things got a little more difficult. the thing was huge for running, and didnt really have a hand strap. so i went back to RIO audio, out of habbit, and came upon some new flash players they had, i settled on the RIO Forge 256( i was going to go with the 512, but it looked blue online, and past experience with RIO blue told me to be on the safe side and go silver, which was the 256)

when i got this thing i was soooo happy. it was new stuff for me, flash based, small, used 1 AAA battery for great battery life. and it sounded great. even came with an arm band for running. by this time though, i was mad into music. and 256 was soon just not enough. at this time this player was my only player, not just for runnning. so i broke down an got a 512mb sd card to stick in there, and wow did that make a difference. i over doubled the memory. i went a whole summer and a school year with that thing, and i loved it. then, my music collection was just TOO big. and i was looking for something bigger. Ipod's came into my view. i think it was the season of the 3G, but they were just too much money for me. i was just a broke highschool kid. so i didnt what any american would do to get what he wants(no, not steel one, although i thought of it) i sold my first RIOVOLT to a kid, for ALOT more then it was worth, $100 to be exact. and i turned around and payed $100 to a friend for his 2G 10GB ipod. which was in great condition.

ah my 2G, my first IPOD. so that is where the switch was made, it took a long time, but finally i had a nice music player. it looked good, worked amazingly well, and had huge storage. i convinced myself i wasnt going to buy a $30 case, as the player itself was only $100 and used. but it was in such good shape i couldnt help myself. so i got an xskin, and love it. now i could even run with it, and still do sometimes. i just hold it in the case, and the grip is great.

so that is my long winded and possible really boring story, but there it is. it took me a while, but finally i had an IPOD, and from there i just spiraled to the world of IPOD.

thank you for your time.

[img=http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3528/unrealkid1bq.jpg][/img]
4GB Black Nano-iskin duo-Carbon Blast---Happily Running PODZILLA
2G 10GB clothed in Xskin2---SKY DANCE
Silver 1G mini
4G 20GB (BEATERPOD)=SOLD
Sony MDR-EX71SL's
Bose QuietComfort 2
i have some RIO's too, but lets not talk about them here.......AIM unrealkid505 anytime.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:58 PM

iLove iPods

I got my first personal CD player when I was 7 and it broke after about 4 years. When I was 11 I bought an other personal CD player. Then in March 2005 for my 12th birthday I got a 128mb mp3 player. It didn't have brand name. In May 2005 my grandfather bought me a pink 4GB iPod Mini. I loved it so much! I got it like 5 cases (including an iSkin and Agent 18) and in December 2005 when the mini's were shooting up in price I sold it and bought my nano!

16gb iPod Touch & 8gb iPhone

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.