Switchers Stories - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Power Lounger

December 1996 - Got a Kenwood portable CD player ($300 with 45 seconds of skip protection, which was pretty awesome for it's time.)

November 2002 - Kenwood dies, purchase a $50 Sony Psyc Walkman.

August 2003 - Sony Psyc is stolen, replaced with $50 Panasonic MP3/CD player.

November 2003 - Purchased 32MB iRiver MP3 Player for $10 from a friend.

January 2004 - Purchased Sony MZ-NE410 MiniDisc recorder/player for $100.

August 2004 - Panasonic MP3/CD stolen by ex-girlfriend.

December 2004 - Purchased Creative MuVo TX FM 256MB for $100.

October 2005 - Sony MZ-NE410 dies. Talked into getting iPod by an iLounger (kornchild2002).

December 2005 - Recieved 20 GB iPod 4G Color for X-mas. ($250) Sold Creative MuVo for $50.

15" MacBook Pro (2012) - 2.3GHz i7 - 12GB RAM - 512GB SSD - macOS Sierra
11" MacBook Air (2013) - 1.3GHz i5 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - macOS Sierra
30GB iPod Color (2005) - "fredPod"
64GB iPhone 6s Plus (2015) - "fredPhone Ultra"
Old 01-28-2006, 07:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Around 1999 - Bought a used Panasonic portable CD Player. Worked very well for years.

Late 2003 - MP3 players progressed to a state where the price to storage ratio was right for me. At that point I realised that lugging CD's around was too annoying, and that an MP3 player is more practical.

February 2005 - iPod shuffle was released. Thought that for the price why not. Bought that while it was good and played the songs, I really, really need a screen. The whole "Life is random" slogan just didn't stick with me. Nevertheless, intent to not make my purchase go to waste I kept it, eyeing those iPod mini's every now and then.

September 2005 - I was finally sick of the shuffle, and was about to buy a mini, but then the nano was released a couple days before I was planning to buy a mini. Got the 4gb White nano and have been satisfied ever since. The next player i'll get will probably be the next nano revision.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs down Love my broken iPod Shuffle

Wonder when I will receive a working one.

Bought a really cool Rio back in the day - that didn't work either.
Bought and love my solid-steel feeling Dell Jukebox 15G. Upgraded the firmware to Dudebox and what a nice device, despite it's weight it was built rock solid.

But rocks get heavy, I decided to get a nano. Except I always, always play my music on shuffle -- so what the heck, get a shuffle.

Looked as sexy as apple products are. Ordered early in December for myself, Xmas present. Got it -- and it didn't work. Sent it back and, and, and, and, today is, is -- what -- almost February, and my iPod is still in the mail.

Love you apple. Love buying apple products for my kid. Laptops, etc.
Love getting screwed over for Xmas by Steve and friends for a known product fault. Love giving my money to a company and receiving crap. Sexy, broken crap. Oh Yeah! Sexy, sexy, white crap-o-lah.

That's my story.
I had given my Dell to my daughter when the shuffle came in.
Didn't have the heart to take it back.

Now, I am carrying my awesome-but-kinda-large-for-an-MP3-player PSP for my hikes. Don't mind that much, since I carry a backpack.
But I did spend a buck and change for a worthless pack-of-gum sized nothing.

Stupid shuffle.

Hahahaha. Stupid, stupid shuffle.

/s/
BobH
Old 01-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Junior Lounger

I used to be a die-hard CD player fanatic, after my early days of being a complete tape-head. I constantly had headphones around my neck in high school, with a CD player always in the right pocket of my khaki pants, ready for action. I started out with a good old-fashioned 10 second ESP player, eventually upgraded to a plain MP3 CD player, and then a super-deluxe Sony Walkman CD-MP3-ATRAC-MakesJulianFries player. Having reached the end of that tunnel, and after seeing my friend's brand new iPod in '01, I decided that it was time for me to own an MP3 player that didn't involve CD's.

I started out innocently enough, with a little iPaq MP3 player my sister gave me, but that wasn't enough. Ten songs? 64MB of space? Screw that noise. I had a job and got my tax refund, and that was the beginning. I bought a 15GB iPod 3rd gen, and was instantly in music heaven. The device was full by the first week since I bought it, and I was constantly deleting and adding music. In the car, I installed a cassette deck and used the trusty Sony cassette adapter, and my entire music collection was at my fingertips.

Eventually, the good times ended, I had a personal debt and had to sell my iPod. I bought a car MP3/CD deck, and was back to my old ways, carrying stacks of CD's, shuffling through them at stoplights, trying to clean scratched discs on the freeway, and constantly wishing I had burned just one more album by x band before I'd left home.

Eventually, I tired of the shuffling and cleaning. I yearned to have a DAP I could listen to in bed at night, and put in my pocket, knowing if I heard a song I loved in a store, I could go out to my car and sift through and listen to it myself, on a whim.

I saved extra paycheck money and bought an iPod mini open boxed at Circuit City, and wondered why I'd sold my iPod in the first place. I loved the damn thing, though I was shuffling music on and off of the tiny hard drive even more than I'd done with the 15GB.

And right after that, Apple came out with the video-enabled 5G iPod. The week they shipped, I went out to Circuit City, returned the Mini, and bought a 4G Photo at Best Buy, being $40 short of the 5G at the time. I immediately regretted it, as the 4G was big, bulky, and just felt clumsy. I also had a large desire to watch movies on it, and eventually, I went back to Best Buy. I told them I wanted to exchange it for a new 5G, and I'd pay the difference.

They informed me that they were out of the 5G, so I decided to just get a gift card and wait. As they took the 4G into the back to test it, I stood looking around, and I felt a tap on the shoulder. It was a Best Buy drone, holding a black 5G 30GB, saying "Look what I found!"

So I own a 5G Black 30GB video-enabled iPod. It's come a long way, but I wouldn't trade this one for anything. At least, not until the 6G comes out.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, my story is a recent one (it's happened in the last few weeks)but I've had enough experience with the product in question to know that it is crap.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a non-conformist...so when I was walking through various electronics stores to buy my first mp3 player (I'm 13, I can't believe I held off this long) this Christmas, I had a bit of a "don't-get-an-ipod-because-the-battery-is-####-and-they're-just-a-fad-and-they're-crap-even-though-i've-only-used-one-briefly" attitude. I liked the look of the iRiver H10 (5 Gig). Correction: I fell in love with it. Nothing could sway me from 'iRiver kick's Apple's ###'. By Christmas, I had read every H10 review on the net.

When Christmas arrived and I opened the Box to find my brand-new spanking iRiver, I loved it for...say...a week. My family and I were going overseas. To cut a long story short, some friends of ours were staying in the hotel we were and every single member of their family had an iPod. Between them they'd definitely have every generation of every model. Easily. The oldest kid, I'll just call him Bill, had a 30 gig iPod (5th Gen...the video one). We debated for about 1/2 an hour about whose mp3 player was better. Remember, at this stage, I still thought mine was the best thing since sliced bread.

He told me to use his iPod a bit to see if I could really see the difference. After about 10 minutes, I could tell that the iRiver firmware...is really, really ####. Just by using it, seeing how seamlessly the iPod operates - really did shock me. I thought the slowness and clunky interface of the iRiver was just normal.

So I moped around a bit, regretting that I had chosen the inferior product just because I didn't want to be one of the head-bopping-white-earbud-wearing fanboys. I realised, the reason they're so popular is because they're actually good. I then read the iPod reviews. I think I'd been subconciously not wanting to read them because I knew they'd be good. I was right. There's not one bad review on an iPod I can find.

So, here I am. I told my mum yesterday that I'm going to buy an iPod (with my own money of course). I was feeling really guilty because I'd spent 400 bucks on this iRiver (I'm australian, 400 AUD) and now wasn't really going to use it. She said she'd gladly take it off my hands. She's a major classical music listener and she said she was thinking of getting one anyway. So things have panned out.

I need to make something like 500 bucks to get my iPod. She's paying me ten bucks an hour for practicing the violin. I've got a competition coming up so I'd be doing 1 1/2'ish anyway. So if I do 2 hours a day (which will be painful ) I can have a video playing, photo-viewing iPod sitting in my hot little hands within a month.

The moral of this story is:

Don't do what I did. Use one of your friends iPod before buying anything else and don't be blinded by your attitude. I've been over to the other side, and trust me - it isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 PM

Former First Lounger

I don't remember the dates, and I don't plan on looking them up. My first portable player was the Sony Walkman - I'm talking the original cassette player (yes, I'm that old). It was wonderful. I was in college; I could walk through campus, or nap in the library listening to my walkman - could it get any better?!

After a number of years (quite a number) later, I found myself driving a lot and in need of something else - I ended up getting a portable CD player from Phillips - it was used pretty much in the car. It worked well and even included 60 second antiskip protection - wow, could technology get any better.

Again, I found myself in the car a lot - longer commute - and one day I was ####ed at the wife for continuing to spend money on ####, so I dropped a load on something for me - I am so glad I was ####ed off at my wife! The versatility and ease of use of iPod/iTunes is wonderful. I listen to as much music as I do podcasts and audiobooks. What is going to happen in another few years?!

Grado SR 80.... CMOY amp - The BEST
Etymotic ER4P(foam).... CMOY amp - better
Etymotic ER6 (foam)........ good
Sony EX71........ okay, but muddy
Old 01-29-2006, 04:37 AM

Senior Lounger

My story is simple: I was fed up with low tech and unreliability.

Here's somewhat of a timeline for the mp3 players that I've owned:
1. Rio Nike Player (32 mb)
-- from this point I went on a cd player streak, owning 2 cd players in a span of 2 months
2. Sony's Network Walkman (the old one with expandable memory and whatever)
3. iriver triangle player (monochrome screen, 256 mb memory)
4. Zen Micro
5. Ipod 4g 30gb photo
6. Ipod shuffle
7. Ipod Nano

The reason for ditching 1: TOO LITTLE MEMORY, ####ty battery life, and the thing just died on me.
2: it was a beautiful, small player. the only problem was that the memory cards were proprietary and useless for other things, and were incredibly expensive. the li battery was also unreliable after about 5 months or so, and cost 70 dollars to replace. sonicstage was very slow too.
3: bad build quality and it just died, bad battery life, horrible firmware. i liked all the features tho- voice recording, blah blah
4: headphone jack died on me- i was getting bored of monochrome screens, and wmp 10 was hard to use, and the battery life sucked
5: starting out with the ipod- i switched. very pleasant to use
6: shuffle was released: could not resist
7: nano released: ordered the second day it came out, got it within a week

The 30gb ipod is now my brother's, and I keep the nano. The reason why I switched was simply for beauty and ease of use. I wanted a reliable player that did what I wanted to do and wasn't filled with a dumb firmware. I also enjoyed all the third party software and accessories available for it.

I love the iPod. Period.

Owns:iPod Nano 4gb White; iPod Shuffle 512mb; iPod Photo 4g 30gb; Grado Sr-60; Bosse Triport Headphones (Silver); Grado HF-1; Shure E2c; Beater buds: iPod stock 'fones
Wants: Universal Dock + Remote; Etymotic Er6-i; Vaja i-volution Case for iPod Nano
Old 01-29-2006, 03:15 PM

Reclined Lounger

My Story:

I decided to see what this whole MP3 player thing was all about, so I bought little 64mb RCA Kazoo MP3 player. I fit about 20 songs encoded at 96kbs MP3 format. It was nice, so I decided to go bigger.

About a half a year later, I got a 40gb RCA Lyra Jukebox, it was probably almost an inch thick and had a monochrome screen with a blue backlight. The battery life was about 6-10 hours. This was 2003 keep in mind, so this was pretty good.

I didn't fill up much of the 40gb, but I liked having the extra space for backing up files and stuff.

Then I decided to buy a Sony Minidisc player. It was way smaller, and you could keep buying discs, so the storage was almost unlimited. That was what I was using for my music then.

Also, I was always against iPods, cause I thought they were over-rated and over priced, but little did I know that it was very powerful.

Then Apple came out with the iPod photo and my opinion of the iPods changed almost immediatly. I just HAD to get my hands on one. Finally in March of 2004, I bought my first iPod photo 30gb. At the time, it was $350, I bought it before Apple dropped the price. (I was very mad the day I found out the price dropped, I could have saved 50 bucks!)

This was one of the best things I ever bought, and with all my friends envying me for the color screen, it felt great to have one. Most of my friends had the monochrome 3g or 4g iPods at the time.

I then bought an iSkin case for it cause it was getting scratched and I couldn't let my $350 iPod get scratched up!

But now, the clickwheel stopped working, so I'm iPod-less, and I'm looking to buy the iPod 30gb. But I'm short on cash at the moment!

Click the image to open in full size.

| 2.2GHz MacBook Pro | 2GB Ram | 120gb Internal HDD | 300gb External HDD |

| 5.5g 80gb iPod | 4g 30gb iPod Photo |
Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 AM

Veteran Lounger

I started in 2000 using a tape player/FM I received (where was I until 2000!??!). I had a number of tapes I listened to, particularly Michael Jackson's Thriller. Afterwards I purchased a Panasonic CD Player for my rising CD collection. I was somewhat content. I was swooned by the iPod and its awesome looks in summer 2004. It wasn't until Christmastime when I finally decided to pick one of these things up. I purchased a 4G 20GB and got hooked. I pimped it out with cases, remotes, the whole nine yards. Though I got it replaced three times due to faulty battery, I'm still an iPod believer and am very content with the iPod.

I plan to get a replacement for this iPod sometime before this one dies. I'm thinking of a Shuffle/nano for working out and a 5G or 6G for full-time use. As for the 4G, docking use for my home stereo and to use on long car rides with the 5G/6G.

Click the image to open in full size.
HP USB Disk Format Tool || Transfer from iPod to HD ||Blog||
iPod 4G 20GB/iPod nano 1G 2GB/iPod touch 16GB/Lenovo F20 Cokebook/Shure SE110
Old 02-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Reclined Lounger

I was using a cd and cassette player for years, got tired of lugging cds and cassettes around, and those battery stops, got a nano, still use cds and cassettes at home though, just to perserve battery life, or listen on either of my 2 computers

Dell Inspiron laptop, new in November 2010. Gateway M series laptop, purchased in May of 2008. Ipod Classic 80 gb, purchased new in December of 08. Ipod 4th generation monochrome, Retired. iPod nano 1st gen 2 gb. new in whatever year that was.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Talking Swich Story

Prior to owning a hard drive based player I would tote around 100s of CD's with me. I had three gigantic cases I kept in constant rotation in the car, a 10 CD case which snapped directly into the front corner of my jacket for taking discs to and from and a collection of various smaller portfolios which found homes under my car seats, in the front pockets of various bags, in my desk draws and in assorted draws in my house. There were CDís everywhere! I often times found myself extremely frustrated when I wanted a particular CD and had to search through pages and pages of CDs. I was also tired of the seemingly endless task of keeping the books organized. I started to burn mix CDís geared towards particular moods. This satiated my schizophrenic musical cravings for a bit. After purchasing my first car, I was extremely disappointed to learn the CD player could not read burned discs and the portfolio collection remained. Within a year, the CD player in my car became an on again off again problem. Some days it would read discs, other days it would just spit them out at me. This was unacceptable. Finally I decided I need to make the leap from CD to MP3. When I decided this, Apple hadnít yet released a unit which was large enough to hold my CD collection. Price and space were major issues for me. In order to get all my music on one player, I guesstimated I would need a minimum of 40GB and that was knowingly omitting less frequently used CDs. The only unit available with a ďmassiveĒ amount of storage was the RCA Lyrasys 40GB. For years I was satisfied with this unit. It was not easy to use. I had to purchase separate software to find an easier way to convert my discs and the storage system was horrible. The player re-set every time the power was removed which was very annoying. The sound was sub-par. The unit was heavy and bulky. But, when you donít know any better, what youíve got in your hand will suffice. Despite Appleís subsequent release of both a 30GB and 60GB iPod, I was determined to stay out of the iPod realm. When I heard of people contemplating purchasing an iPod, I would just shake my head and mutter about them falling for a well marked but overpriced hard drive with fancy white ear buds. I did my best to push any other MP3 player out there.

In November, my car was broken into and my Lyrasys was stolen. I was heartbroken. Hours and hours and hours of CD to MP3 conversion was gone in the blink of an eye. I couldnít wrap my mind around the idea of having to go through all the conversion over again. I had heard from several people that iPods were extremely easy to use and maintain. I figured if there was ever a time to give the iPod a chance, it was now. I pushed aside my prejudices and logged onto Apple.com and went big. I purchased the 60GB video player. Although my first experience with iTunes was frustrating, I soon learned that I was overcomplicating the entire process and suddenly everything was a breeze. What took me nearly 3 solid months of conversion work with my Lyrasys was completed in under a month with my Pod. I loved that all the library files were saved as back up. I fell in love with the simplicity of the iPod. I fell in love with the automatic categorization of music, the shuffle option, the wonderful sound quality, the smaller file sizes and the video option. Oh, did I mention my addiction to the Music Quiz? What I didnít expect was the sudden death of a Pod to be the basis of my true turning point. Less than a month old, the hard drive on my iPod quit. Of course, I was once again heartbroken. I sent the iPod into Apple to see if they would repair the device and decided to give it a go one more time and get another 60GB player. This is where my love blossomedÖall I did was plug my new Pod into my PC and my entire music collection was right back at my finger tips. It amazed me.

Apple has been really great about repairing my Pod. Sure, itís taking a few weeks to get a new one out to me but whatever, if they are willing to stand by their product enough to send a replacement out to me, I am not going to scream and holler about how long it is taking them. There are not many place out there that go so far as to supply you with the box to ship your product back in via overnight service. When I have called them, Iíve had delightful conversation with everyone. Now, my iPod and I go everywhere together and it is a constant source of entertainment for me. I look forward to my new Pod's arrival so I can turn my boyfriend onto the addiction.

I will never go back. I am an iPod addict.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Retiring after post #315

Of course, I'd been using a walkman since I was nine and a portable CD player religiously since my eleventh birthday. I'd drooled over a friend's iPod and pored over Amazon.com's iPod listings out of pure fantasy.

Then in 2005, I exchanged an broken-down portable CD player at Best Buy for a slightly pricier model with MP3 playback. I had no idea the gateway drug this would be - I bragged to my iPod-owning friend "see, I have an mp3 player now too. I can fit about six or seven albums on a single CD. It's just as good as an iPod, only a little bulkier."

Then I discovered podcasts, and became addicted to a few of them. I was constantly burning CDs on my way out the door or right before bed, filled with the latest podcast episodes or a ripped album I might want to listen to. CD-RWs worked fine, but after a few burns they got sooo sloooow. I'd end up wasting CD-Rs just because they burned so much faster.

Of course, I went through a couple packs of AA batteries every month.

My wife is very observant. On my 23rd Birthday late last month, I recieved a brand new 30 gig iPod video, and I'm giving the mp3 CD player to a friend this week.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Switchers Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by MadPict
Have you switched from another DAP or music device to the iPod?
Is it allright to post my story about switching from iPod, or will I be spammed by fanbois?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Switched from Rio Volt SP250

Howdie..

My previous Mp3 player was a CD based player that I really loved for a long time.. At the time I got it it did everything I needed it to do for me.. but now that I have a job and need some portability.. it's not so good anymore.

An interesting story.. The Volt SP250 comes with a wired remote with a clip, and about 6 months after I bought mine the clip broke. I remembered that on the Rio site they had different remotes, some with digital displays of the song playing and such things that I wanted but couldn't justify the purchase of until the clip broke. So I went to their site and found that they actually discontinued the SP250, AND all of the accessories that went with it. I ended up using super glue on my clip, and I kept using it for a few years. I always had to be extra careful though because superglue is good, but not great, and it was very ugly and not the solution I wanted.

This was a main reason I settled with getting an iPod instead of some other mp3 player to replace it. I have noticed that even the discontinued iPods still have a great number of accessories available.. even years after they've been released. This makes me feel more secure in my purchase, knowing that if a year from now I need a new case or other such accessory, they more than likely will be available.

I ended up settling with a white iPod Nano, the 2 Gig version because it is all I could afford with my Christmas money.. it is a TON more portable and, lets face the facts, much much cuter than my Volt. I can actually fit the nano, in a case, into my purse and no one knows that it's there until I take it out. This would be an impossibility with my Volt.

Having all my music together (instead of on various large Mp3 CDs) is a ton handier than I thought it would be.. I'm really enjoying the iPod experience even though I was a bit weary of surrendering to buying an apple product. (They tend to be out of my budget.) Another plus to this player was the educational discount.. and super fast shipping FROM CHINA. My iPod got to my house in Texas a DAY AND A HALF after they shipped it.. from.. China. I can't even get mail from another city in Texas that fast.. it still boggles my mind.

I still have my Rio Volt, and intend on keeping it for a CD player, which is basically what it is.. but I certainly haven't even touched it since my iPod arrived. I've been won over!

Last edited by Kimaroo; 02-03-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:30 AM

He hates Scousers

Re: Re: Switchers Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by Chahk
Is it allright to post my story about switching from iPod, or will I be spammed by fanbois?
Read man, read!

Quote:
If you have, then please post it here for a soon-to-be-published iLounge story but please keep it brief.
Is iLounge, a site meant for iPod, iTunes and beyond going to publish about someone who switches away from iPod?

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.