Switchers Stories - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Prior to having a MP3 player I used to own a Panasonic personal stereo. This was great for listening to music and was very flash (at the time). Gone are the days of recording on cassette my first purchase in the next-gen area was the Sony MZR900 MD Player. This to me at the time was something special, it was my first time on a portable digital media device and a new phase of my life. The quality from cassette to MD was astounding. Prior to the purchase I had looked at MP3 players but at the time I didn't have a PC so the MD was my best choice.

After a year I had finally purchased my first PC and MP3 based player were interesting me more. A while after I new the I just had to have one of these players. Having all my music all in one player without having to switch out discs was just too much to pass out on.

Off I went in search of a new player. Going for HDD over Flash was down to the size of my collection and the fact that the flash players didn't look as good as there HDD counterparts. After a comparison of different players I had finally found my player, the Sony VIAO VGF-AP1L. This had everything I could ask for: a colour LCD display, updatable firmware, touch sensitive operation, 40gig HDD, 20 hours playback, photo viewer, easy operation, solid design and a docking station.

Although I had allot of features there were a few problems once I got started. ATRAC was the only format the VAIO could understand so all files transferred had to be converted taking up to 10 hours (newer firmware has given MP3 playback), the battery would drain dead over 3-4 days even while the unit was turned off, I started to find selecting tracks would take longer and longer even locking up when doing this, can only be recharged when docked and the PC “Sonic Stage” software used to upload my music has to be the worst I’ve ever used. While all this was happening I noticed a press conference from Apple regarding there new iPod with video functionality (I was never into the iCraze). I held back from even thinking about purchasing one at first but with the continuing problems with my VAIO on almost Zero support from Sony I finally gave in.

Before my purchase I did (wisely) search for forums/reviews to see everyone’s views and check if there were any problems, a few but not as bad as my VAIO. Down to my local Dixions I went (most online retailers showed the same price as the shops in town and even more with the added delivery charge). Upon purchasing it I was quite surprised at the size of the box, at least 5x smaller that the VIAO. After using my 5G 60GB (black) iPod I am very happy, more so than my VAIO, scrolling through hundreds of albums can be done within seconds and the added video is great, although I do already have a PSP.

In some ways I’m glad I held of buying an iPod for so long, it’s just made this one soo much more special.

Windows ... where were going we don't need ... windows.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:22 PM

4GB Black Nano

I have owned 3 mp3 devices so far. 2 were iriver mp3/cd players and the 3rd was the 4gb black ipod nano. i owned an imp-350 and an imp-450 iriver cd/mp3 player. the imp-450 had the best battery life of all 3 (25+ hours). hjowever, the biggest cd-rw's i could find were 700mb, so thats all i could store on it.

i like the nano alot, btu the battery life is disappointing after having the ability to go without charging for 2-3 weeks. i'm also upset at the scratching. my nano went directly from the box into a podsplus case, yet it still has 1 very noticeable screen scratch and several scratches on the rest of the front.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Early last Christmas I decided to replace my Sony MZN505, which I had for two years, it played fine but could not write anymore.

I was browsing through the flyers, and the 512MB iRiver T30 caught my eye. I went to the store to purchase it, but found out that the $20 discount did not come into effect until the day after.

Being very impatient, I decided to go out to another store. I picked up a MPIO One. It had great features for a flash player, such as radio, voice recorder, video, and games. However, the horrid music navigation, low resolution, and mediocre music management software made me return it.

I went and exchanged it for a 2GB iPod nano. I was in awe of its slick design. The software was absolutely the best I've ever used, and the UI was simply amazing. However two weeks later it decided to freeze on me, and I got the dreaded "skipping all tracks with no response". I did not mind the hundreds of hairline scratches, it was the deep gash on the screen that bothered me. By this time I was seriously doubting the quality of apple's players, and returned it once again.

The next player of choice was the Philips HDD1630 6GB (very slick). A little pricey, but I had faith in the Philips brand. Again, specs on paper were appealing, such as 18 hour battery life, album art, FM Tuner, and voice recorder. However I had some very serious problems synchronizing it with Windows Media Player, and the response times were unacceptable.

By this time I realized the only choice I had was another iPod. The software, design and user interface were unmatched by any other player. I decided to give Apple another chance, and now I have a 30GB 5G iPod resting on my desk in its silicon case. Couldn't be happier
Old 01-21-2006, 12:27 AM

Geek

First portable music player I ever owned was a tape player. In fact, I still have one to play my old tapes on!(the spice girls rock!).

In the begining, I tryed to get my sisters old broken discman to work, but my dad felt sorry for me and bought me a real discman. It was good, I loved it to bits. But I lent it to my friend that was going on a road trip, b/c her's was broken(sign #1 that I should not have done that...). She broke mine, and said she would replace it........ well she never did, so my dad cashed in some air miles to get me one they were offering. I still have it. It plays mp3 cds and all that. It was good to me. But I couldn't stand my thick cd case I had to carry w/ me b/c I mainly used my discman when I went camping or on holiday. I decided I wanted an mp3 player.

The first one I wanted was a Rio sport thingy. Yellow circle basicly. The same friend that broke my discman has one, cause she can't break it . I looked around online, but I was 14 at the time. When I asked for it for christmas, my dad said buy your own. Later he did get me one of the first cell phones that would let you put music on it, but I think it only held like 10-15 songs!! Yes, the good old days.....

Then, years later, the nano appeared. At first, I was like "no way will I join the ipod cult". But I got past the whole steryotype ness attached with ipods and thought, this is a good mp3 player. One friend has a mini, and one has a nano. I played with both to make my decision. I wanted a small (gb) one cause I don't have a big library, but the winning factor was admitedly the "cool" factor of the nano. It looks like the signature ipod, but more affordable to me and small enough to fit in my purse. Plus color screen and flash memory. Yeah, now that I have an ipod, I truly enjoy it. It is different from any other mp3 player. I hated the shuffle b/c it had no screen, so the nano suits me.

ipod #1: iPod nano, 2GB, White, Contour iSee nano case
~December 26 2005~ to ~June 12 2006~
ipod #2: iPod nano, 2GB, White, Sumo Flip Case (red)
~June 17 2006~
Can't I just superglue my nano to myself?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 AM

Senior Lounger

Might as well add a story, ive got nout to do.
Started off with a Diamond Rio600 32Mb. Had that for about 2 years.
Then bought myself a 15Gb 3g iPod. Had that for a year before i got bored with the poor battery life. And my music collection was starting to fill that 15Gb.
So i bought myself a iRiver iHP-140, had that for a year and a bit before it failed on me a few weeks ago.
And im now trying to decide wether i should get a 60Gb iPod Video.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Reclined Lounger

Does switching from a stereo and old faishoined walkman (the kind that plays regular cd's, not mp3's? count?

The ipod was my first forray into the world of portable mp3's. I had grown out of my whole music obsession from high school and college, which is where all of my original music equipment was. A friend of mine is really really really into apple and sold me her 3g ipod which she was no longer using...the rest is history. I wore that one out to death and bought myself a new photo ipod when they were retailing for $600. My music collection has grown to the insane proportions of almost 80 gigs and I can't even fathom the way I used to listen to music.

Boy do I wish that I was a teenager during the digital music age.....I can't believe how much crap we used to carry around to listen to music back then!
Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Ipod, do you?

Talking iPod Appreciation

I am now 33, I grew up in the 80's listening to cassettes and Sony Walkman products that were able to condense their product to as small size as possible, with as much sound quality that was available at the time, and at that point I was luck to pull a good 5 hours battery life from continuous listening to cassettes. In the late 90's I got my first MP3 player that had a small SD card that I was able to fit maybe 3-4 CD's worth of low quality bitrate songs onto it, but I loved the size and durability of it for working out, and using it for it's portability.

I purchased my 1st Ipod about 3 years ago. It was the 3rd Generation Ipod black and white with 20 gig capacity. I transferred my whole CD Collection with low compression got decent sound out of it, and loved that sucker. Now I am a huge geek, when something new comes out, I like to have it, I have always loved having the newest technology available and learning about it, and basically getting the most out of a toy that I possibly can, so I upgraded to the 4G 30 Gig black and white with at the time the brand new click wheel. I started learning more about bitrates and sound quality, so I upgraded my entire CD collection on that Ipod and Maxed it out. I then upgraded to the 60 Gig color, along with my Alpine Head unit with the Ipod connector to get optimal sound quality with no tape or radio connections to distort any of the sound. I also upgraded my earbuds to the E3c's, but I was disappointed to a degree about the the strange Audio problem with that Ipod, It didn't happen to a lot of songs, but it was happening, and I was noticing it. Then Apple releases the 5G Ipod Video. Stores were sold out immediately, but I found the last Circuit City in NJ that seemed to have had any, and I got the last one. I brought it home opened it, plugged it in and downloaded everything immediately to the new Ipod, went to the Music Store and downloaded a couple of Demo videos ITMS put out there, and was absolutely impressed with what I saw and heard. I popped in the music that I got the strange crackling with on my previous Ipod, and didn't hear the problem at all. I then sold the 60 Gig video on Ebay knowing my new Ipod was officially replacing it. The better sound quality on my new video Ipod has really pleased me, especially the better bass response, but then watching an episode of Battlestar Galacticca, I was a bit disheartened to find 3 dead pixels on the lower left side of the screen. I called Circuit City to confirm I could exchange it, and for 2 weeks, none of the stores in my area had any in stock. I had finally gotten an email confirming that a store 25 miles away received some, I called them, they put one aside, and I exchanged my slightly defective unit for a brand new one. I got home, loaded it up with my library, and confirmed no dead pixels on the screen at all.

So here is the deal, although I had the initial issue with the Ipod Video, I am so happy with this new version of one of the greatest audio (and now video) inventions of my time. I used to have a car load of CD's and cases all over my car, and all over my entertainment stands and tables, and I have compacted phenomenal sound quality of my entire collection into something the size of a Cassette case. I have a small speaker set in my office, and I listen to whatever I want whenever I want wherever I want. I have compared sound quality from my Ipod to my CD's and found little difference if any difference at all between the 2 sources, and it has organized my entire collection of music in a fashion I never would had thought possible. We can voice our complaints about minor problems with this product, scratches, pixels, little movement with the clickwheel. However, If you appreciate what these units really are from the very beginning, I find it so impressive how far we have come in the very short span of 5 years to get fit a high sound quality music music collection into something this small, with this much capacity, and very good battery life compared to what was available before these were released to the masses.

Thanks for reading through a nostalgic moment of my gratitude of modern technology, I hope to hear from others who fel the same.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Power Lounger

Well said, I also have been using an iPod since the 3rd gen days. I sold the 3rd gen on e-bay but I've still got the 4G mono that replaced it full of Apple Lossless and connected to my Denon stereo at home.

I think the 5G is a superb piece of engineering and everytime I use it it astounds me how far this technology has come. The ease of use along with iTunes is superb and when I think about the old days of trying to copy a vinyl LP to a cassette for use on a Walkman it makes me cringe.

Long may Apple continue with the iPod. Infact, I have been so impressed it promted me to buy an iMac when my PC required upgrading.

Click the image to open in full size.
iPod Classic 80 GB, Black / iPod Touch 32 GB
iTunes AAC 128 VBR / Etymotic ER 6i
iMac 2.4 GHz / Macbook 2.4 GHz
Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 AM

Power Lounger

Thought I better post a better story as my previous post was moved from another thread, and it's not really a switcher story.

I won't mention the plethora of differing Cassette, CD and MD (mostly Sony to be honest) players I've gone through, suffice to say they have been many but have all lacked something and never lasted long.

My first real foray into the world of compressed music (barring MD) was about 4 years ago with an iRiver 256mb flash player (iFP190t), great little player and very sturdy. I remember the day it slipped from my hand and went clattering and sliding across my wooden floor, not a mark or defect resulted though.
I soon found this wasn't enough storage so I thought I would buy an iRiver iMP 400 "Slim X" which played MP3 CD's as well as "real" CD's, my thinking being that a cd wallet with CD's full of MP3's was still better than a wallet with only 12 audio CD's. Lovely design for a portable CD player very sleek. I kept both of these for a while as a compliment to each other.

Then iRiver released the iHP 100, a 10gb hard drive player so I thought why not ?? sold the 190 and the 400 on ebay and bought one. Expensive at the time, 350 quid, if I remember correctly but another great machine which I really liked (yes, I was an iRiver freak !! which kind of disproves the myth, bandied by some iRiver fans, that most iPod owners are shallow fashionistas who don't research their DAP buying choices. I was even one of the original members of the MisticRiver forum when it started up although I've not been there for a long time now).
I did really like this player (I won't say a bad word about it) but by this time my MP3 collection was hitting the 15gb mark so I thought okay I'll just wait until iRiver release a 20gb version, which they did eventually.

So, there I am sitting at my PC (having sold the iHP100) just about to buy the new 20gb from my usual online retailer when I suddenly think "what about an iPod ?". I thought about it for a few days and ended up think "why not ?" if I don't like it I'll just sell it on ebay and get the iHP120 instead.
So I bought a 3G 20gb iPod (from a high street retailer this time), couldn't wait to get it home. I was impressed with the black, classy looking box but that was just the start. When I slid the inner box from it's outer sleeve and opened it's booklike sides I was blown away, I couldn't believe a company would go to this trouble to package an item (my iHP had come in one of those plastic bubble packages).
I was afraid to disturb the little white iPod because it all just looked so classy. All the items packed into their own little places and just looking fantastic (I'm glad that Apple seem to be returning to this classy look, albiet with smaller boxes, after the gaudy 4G boxes). Maybe this first experience was a contributing factor to why I keep buying iPod's, who knows ?.

Anyway, suffice to say I did eventually take it all out of the packaging and loved it. My concern at not buying the iHP vanished.
The integration with iTunes was superb and the iPod itself just looked and sounded great and I preferred it's flatter sound over the iHP's.

When the 4G's came out I thought "that's for me", better battery life and an upgrade to a 40gb hard drive. So onto ebay went the 3G (sometimes I'm still disappointed I sold it) and I bought my 4G.

My Shuffle was an impulse buy, I thought that will do as a combined flashdrive/ music player but I like it for it's quirkyness.

I ordered a 5G the day they were available from the UK Apple store, again I love it, but I'm not selling the 4G this time. Decided to keep it and store my Apple Lossless on it.

That's my story, it's maybe a story of increasing addiction. Who knows ?? but I'll say one thing my previous music players never lasted long either through not being good enough or because something else came along that tempted me.
None of my iPod's has ever let me down nor had any problems, the build quality is excellent, they are easy to use and do what they are built to do well. What more could you want ?.
It's maybe cost me a small fortune on iPod's, the odd accessory (a battery pack for the 3G, an Altec Lansing speaker here or an FM transmitter there and a pile of cases) but who cares, I'm 39, work hard and can afford it.

Now the only thing that tempts me is when a new iPod appears.

iPod Classic 80 GB, Black / iPod Touch 32 GB
iTunes AAC 128 VBR / Etymotic ER 6i
iMac 2.4 GHz / Macbook 2.4 GHz

Last edited by aquatika; 01-23-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM

Junior Lounger

My first MP3 player (back in 2002) was the NexII compact flash mp3 player. great bargain, but not so great sound. In November 2003 I was looking for an mp3 player and I did not want to spent a lot of money but wanted something that sounded good. I got a Creative Labs Nomad Zen NX (20 GB). It was bulky but it was good and the sound was great.
When the nano was announced I was debating if I should replace my trusted nomad with it. when I finally decided the nano was the way to go...apple announces the ipod with video (30GB) and I was hooked. I finally found a device worthy of replacing my trusted nomad zen.

I got my ipod in November and I have never looked back.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM

METAL!!!

Back when the first iPod was released, I couldn't really see the point of these expensive players which hold way too much music than people need. This is when I went from tapes to a portable CD player.

Then, when the 3G iPod came out, some friends got one and I thought they are actually pretty cool.

Soon after, I purchased a 128mb non-branded flash player with SD card slot and a 256mb card. It was enough for my very small MP3 collection to rotate songs every week or so.

When the new 5g iPod was announced, I wanted it, my music collection was growing into thousands of songs and my CD hifi system was being used less and less. Unfortunately I didn't get one for Christmas, because of the expense and I was forced to carry on using my flash player, picking just a few songs every day to load on.

Last week, one of my friends who had a 40GB 3rd gen iPod dropped it and broke the hard drive. He received a 60GB 5th gen one, so I brought the dead 3G for £18 to resurrect.

Today, I received replacement parts and fixed it, and now have it working with a 20GB hard drive. The total cost was less than £100, and now it is almost filled with my music library and will become my trusty MP3 player until I can afford a 60GB video enabled iPod (I am a student with no job).

I like the design of the 3rd gen, with no moving parts on the front, the touch buttons and most of all the red illumination

"For those about to rock, we salute you" -AC/DC

iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd Gen 40GB, Sennheiser CX300
MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.2GHz/2GB/250GB (+ 750 & 500GB WD My Book Pro)
PowerMac G4 Cube 450MHz/1GB/160GB/Combo/17" ADC LCD
Old 01-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Veteran Lounger

I went to the beach with a friend on a nice sunny day in 2003. She had an ipod. I played around with it a bit, but it took some time before I went to the Apple Store SOHO (NYC) to check out the new ipods (3g generation at the time). I was so impressed at the ease of use and the capacity that I bought one that day. With only a few hundred cd's at the time, the ipod (3g 40gb) was ample for my collection. Since then my music library has exploded to over 160gb. With still another couple hundred records, and a few shoe-boxes filled with tapes that have yet to be converted. To manage this library, I started looking around at a new computer as my aging windows machine was not sufficient. Being impressed with the ipod, I went back to the Apple Store and started looking that the Powermacs. A few days later, I had a Powermac dual 2.5. I give credit to the ipod for sparking more interest for me in Apple. I think many people have similiar stories to mine, I'm glad I got an ipod as I can listen to my music anywhere, rediscovered many artists and made internet friends as a result of similiar tastes in music.

What do I know about music? | there is always an objective | Flickr | ebay selling my record collection in the next few weeks, keep watch!!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:29 PM

Junior Lounger

I always wanted a way to carry all of my music in my pocket. I'm very indecisive, so I like to have a choice instead of lugging around all my CDs. So, about a year a go I got the Dell Digital DJ 20 for Christmas. I loved it. It did what I wanted. However, after a few months it was so boring. It was ugly and didn't do anything.

So, I started looking around. I hadn't really wanted an iPod, but when I saw them, I thought nothing could beat that. Besides a lot of people had them, so they must be good. So I asked for one, and I got a new 5G 30 gig. for Christmas this year. It's so much more exciting and more fun to listen too. I love my baby!

*Please excuse this horrendous username. I made it when I was 14. I'm 21 now.*
Old 01-27-2006, 12:51 AM

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar!

I got my first boombox and cassette walkman the same day 1996, when I was 11. Those were sufficient for my cassette tapes and two or three CDs However, the Sanyo boombox broke and my dad bought me a Sony. Around this time I had also gotten a Panasonic portable CD player.

I worked with these for a few years. When I was 17, I got a Sony CD Walkman, and at 18, a Pansonic home stereo system for my room. This was 2003 and the iPod 3G was a sensation at university. By this time my CD collection numbered around 600-700 and I loved the idea of the iPod. I asked for one for my 19th birthday, when the Mini was released, but due to hectic family circumstances never got one

I finally got a 20GB 4G iPod for Christmas 2004, a gift from my dad. I loved it (still do) and spent the entire rest of the holidays filling it. In October 2005 I picked up a Shuffle 512 MB for going to work and when I didn't feel comfortable walking around with the expensive 20GB.

I ran out of space on the 20GB long ago and am now saving up to get myself a 60GB (5G, but I would prefer getting my hands on an old 4G because I love the design and don't really need the video) before the summer when I travel.

4G 60GB iPod Photo - iPey Sr.
4G 20GB iPod - Spirit of iPey
512 MB iPod Shuffle - iPey Jr.
~R.I.P. iPey~
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 AM

Behind You

I could never really see the interest and hype around iPod's, I never really needed all that storage.

I went from a tape player to a crappy CD player, then to the Sony Minidisc MZR900. I liked it's portability and it had LP4!!! That's 4 CD's on one MD, woohoo!!

I soon realised that it wasn't much more 'portable' than my CD player was, I still had to carry around all my MD's, so nothing had really changed.

Okay, time for an MP3 player, but which one. In the end I decided to go for a 128MB Philips Key006, it was the shuffle before the shuffle, but didn't actually have a shuffle function. It has no screen and no controls on the actual player itself, it is controlled through a neck strap. But hey I liked it, its all I needed, I could get a couple of albums on it, and changed the content daily.

However after a while, my collection started to grow, and I needed something a little bigger, I looked around and decided on a 2-6GB player. But which one? At this point, I had used an iPod, and could see what everyone was raving about, but I didn't want the shuffle, I wanted something with a screen. A couple of weeks into my search and the Nano was released, OH MY GOD. I had to get one, its exactly what I was looking for, no other player was good enough.

Well, anyway, I got my Nano and im very happy with it. Might have to upgrade to the 30Gigger though in the future.

iPod Touch 16GB | iPod 5G 30GB White | iPod Nano 2G 8GB Black | iPod Shuffle 2G 1GB

Topic: Switchers Stories

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.