Let's throw full beercans at Formula 1 Grand Prix cars - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Let's throw full beercans at Formula 1 Grand Prix cars

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 AM

4G'n "fo life"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

F1 is going to the dogs. Why don't they just scrap the sport and all the people can move into either Nascar or World Speed Challenge? THOSE are some real Auto-Racing series.

Click the image to open in full size.

Proud owner of a 5G 60GB, 1G 5GB, 4G 20GB, 2GB black iPod nano, iBook G4 12", and a dual 2.5Ghz Powermac. Could life get any better?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 AM

Junior Lounger

Why should the results not count? By denying the teams that did run their rightful points would only further the chaos; after all, they DID run the race with the right equipment and not cop out at the last minute despite the 100,000 plus fans at the venue.

Quote:
Originally posted by neb
They should pull the plug on the whole event. It's now a farce, and the results should not contribute to the Championship. If they do, then I'll be over in my Citroen to win some money and points.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:05 AM

neb
Veteran Lounger

Safety is the issue here. If Michelin cannot field a tire which can cope with the banked curve (which is unique to the American GP) then we should all agree that they did the right thing and advised their teams not to participate. It's no use jepodising spectator's safety for the sport's money-making abilities.

I believe that Michelin's efforts to change the course layout was enough concern for the FIA to act, and pursue an alternative layout/rasponse/whatever. The fact that they didn't (be it their fault or not) lead to what we saw yesterday, a farce. It could have been avoided, the warning signals, the threats, the promises, they were all there. This would have all come at the expense of Bridgestone, and the teams that did participate, which is not necessarily correct. Although, it could not be avoided.

It may add fuel to the fire that F1 will move to a single tire manufacturer in the future, to help alleviate some of the advantages enjoyed by some. Mosely has also promised a new emphasis on the drivers from the year 2008. A return to manual transmissions, no traction control or similar driving aids will see this sport return to what it once was; fun.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 AM

proud iPod owner

last sunday F1 race is a joke
ppl have right to be angry... they pay their money so see a good race

Blue 2G Mini\Shure E2 Senn MX500+Ibud Sony D31\
Capdase Metal Case Powersupport Silicon Case

sig by mausolus
Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM

Oberon Drinker

first off i watch F1 and NASCAR and pretty much every kind of racing you can think of. i was at the nascar race at MIS this weekend so i didnt hear about this untill the drive home. i damn near shat myself when i heard that only six cars took the track. racing fan in america are a whole lot diffrent than racing fans everywhere else in the world. racing to us red-blooded americans is man vs. man machine vs. machine. thats kinda why F! isnt really popular around here. team orders and crap like that kinda kill it for american fans. we want action and speed not "safety" and team orders. its flippion stupid. FIA and Michelin you both made a huge mistake this weekend this will be a black eye on f1 for a long long long time.

and jackonicko do you want to know why nobody in the US likes soccer because its boring! were america we want entertainment for start to finish. its not that we dont get the skill and endurance and whatnot. we just dont see much action. now proper american football is action from start to finish. and what makes F! "proper" mortor racing? because they dont risk anything to pass? becuase they let other drivers overtake because their faster? please tell me what makes F! any more proper than NASCAR? and last but not least if i were there i would have throw bottles on the track too. the fans at the track had no idea what was going on. all they saw was 14 cars go park after the formation lap. dont blame us for being ####ed about not getting a real f1 race. its be like your "futball" hooligans rioting because half of manchester united missed the game because they were afraid of being hit in the head with the ball. im only being harsh jackonicko becuase you pretty much painted every american racing fan as a pile of crap. now that that is out of my system, iPod on.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

20" iMac Core Duo 2.0 l 60Gb iPod with Video (White) l Universal iPod Dock l iPod Radio Remote l Invisible Shield l 6023 Songs l 12 Videos
Old 06-20-2005, 01:33 PM

neb
Veteran Lounger

I agree that F1 has become a little political, perhaps too political. I don't believe the safety measures have been a step back though. They're clearly needed at a sport which has seen a history of deaths, and not just drivers. The only reason why F1 is in America is the huge market for the sponsors, they wouldn't do it for any other reason.

Soccer is boring? O dear. Would you rather watch 40-odd evenly matched cars racing round and oval for 200 laps? I know that would be my idea of a boring afternoon. I don't know what you're on about American Football being fast, it's my understanding that there is a pause every 30 seconds - I think the games move comparatively slow. Remember there are four quaters or three periods, more time wasting!

I don't think throwing bottles onto the track was the right way to protest, seems kind of irrational and darn stupid.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Reclined Lounger

According to the paper this morning, one person threw a can onto the track, while they were still lining up for the start.

I've never been a fan of either Nascar or F1, but I was a big Indy fan back before CART imploded. While I always loved the big speed and crashes, all my enthusiasm for the sport disappeard when Greg Moore was killed, one of the most horrible crashes I've ever seen... I kind of can't blame F1 for the safety issues in recent years.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by dharmabum420
All my enthusiasm for the sport disappeard when Greg Moore was killed, one of the most horrible crashes I've ever seen...
I am not going to join the "Is racing a sport?" issue, but here is that crash
Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM

neb
Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by dharmabum420
According to the paper this morning, one person threw a can onto the track, while they were still lining up for the start.
That's not true. I saw at least two cans thrown onto the same piece of track while I was watching it live. I'm not a fan of F1 either, let me just get that straight. I just happen to like the argument
Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM

Bob

As neb stated it was more than one can. I counted at least half a dozen items thrown onto the track - one can landed on the start/finish straight, as the race ended.

Bob
Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 PM

Reclined Lounger

*shrug* I didn't watch it, just mentioning what was in the paper this morning... it certainly didn't sound like the hail of projectiles and marshals dodging all over the place I initally envisaged.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Bob

Let's put it this way - there were more cans on the track than F1 cars!

Bob
Old 06-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Oberon Drinker

i didnt really say fast paced i said action for start to finish. they do pause alot but the amount of action you get for those seconds in between give you enough excitment for the 20 or so seconds between plays. soccer on the other hand is not really "action packed" per say. lots of passing and not a whole lot of "excitment" throughtout. that the point i was trying to make its an excitment thing. when you see a big play in the NFL or college ball your hyped about it and 1 big play can and does turn into a hot streak, unlike soccer where big plays a few and far between. scores of 0-1 and such dont help soccer here either. i belive thats partly why the nhl died. low scores and, you know, the whole salary thing. but in going on a tangent here. point is just becuase we dont like soccer and F1 doesnt mean were not proper.

thanks Michelin and Bernie Eccelstone you really ####ed us few american F1 fans over.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

20" iMac Core Duo 2.0 l 60Gb iPod with Video (White) l Universal iPod Dock l iPod Radio Remote l Invisible Shield l 6023 Songs l 12 Videos
Old 06-20-2005, 09:02 PM

Reclined Lounger

I'll take NHRA (and if I have to, IHRA) drag racing over NASCAR or F1/IRL any day.

4G 40GB iPod+hp | Griffin Technology iTrip | Agent18 Case
4757 songs 13 days 16.88 GB

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:31 AM

Bob

Sadly this loutish behaviour isn't just confined to this F1 race. I prefer to watch the WRC over F1, and the spectators in some countries have been known to place large rocks in the road to nobble the competition, if their favoured driver is at risk of losing the lead....

Bob

Topic: Let's throw full beercans at Formula 1 Grand Prix cars

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.