Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Creating Account for Minor Child

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Creating Account for Minor Child

Hello,

I want to creat an iTunes account for my son and fund it via an allowance. How (can) I create an account for him without a credit card? Or, can I set it up with the credit card but have purchases only come from the allowance and not the card directly?

Thanks,

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:25 PM

Veteran Lounger

You actually prepay for the songs in amounts from $10 to $200. Therefore, your card will already be charged and the songs will come from what you already paid for.

I haven't actually used Allowances but it looks like it automatically refills on the first of each month. Therefore, if you set up a $10 allowance it will fill that amount monthly. However, you can cancel it at any time.

Last edited by anypats; 05-02-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

OK - So if I understand this, even if I link his account to my credit card during signup, he can't spend over the allowance limit I set for him - right?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:03 PM

Veteran Lounger

Correct. Like I said though, I haven't used that feature before. Maybe someone that has used it might want to just verify the information I am posting is correct. Maybe just ask your child to try and go over the limit to see what happens while you are watching.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by PodtheMan
OK - So if I understand this, even if I link his account to my credit card during signup, he can't spend over the allowance limit I set for him - right?

Thanks!
Not exactly. You need to set up allowances under your own iTunes Music Store account. If he doesn't already have an iTunes account, you can set one up for him when you set up his allowance. Since his account won't have a credit card attached to it, he'd be limited to his monthly allowance.

If you an account for him directly using your credit card, he could still charge your card if you give him an allowance. As long as you keep the credit card account and his account separate, you should be fine.

Chris - iOS Apps, Tips, Tricks, and Reviews
All iPhoneography, all the time.
She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
Well, I got better...

Last edited by dcmacnut; 05-13-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 PM

15 Year-Old Macaddict!

Also, I think your son must be 13 for an iTunes account so if he's under. Just *coughliecough*. I was lucky enough to be 13 last year when I got my iBook. That way I could get .Mac, iTMS, and other cool stuff under my name. Only 7 months, 5 days till till I'm 15, w00T! 12/19/05 lol. Well, good luck with the allowance thing.

-Black 5G 30GB-
Old 05-14-2005, 06:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the info. Got it set-up and he's a very happy camper!

Topic: Creating Account for Minor Child

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.