Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: importing existing mp3s into itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-05-2005, 06:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

importing existing mp3s into itunes

I have my entire music collection stored on my hard drive. I recently installed Itunes, and started going through the task of placing each CD into the drive to load up into Itunes.

This is taking an age though. I know that Itunes can be pointed at a folder to import songs, but I have a problem.

I stored all of my files using directory structures for the band and the album, with the filename being the track name.

When I try to import into Itunes it does it ok, but only the filename is captured, not any of the associated album and artist names. as an example let supose i have a file called \U2\how to dismantle an atomic bomb\vertigo.mp3.

Is there any easy way will it figure out that this is U2 and the album is how to dismantle an atomic bomb.

Now obviously I can go back and import them all from the original CD's but like i said this takes an age, and a couple of my Cd's are scratched too.

Thanks in Advance

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes is looking at the id tags when it imports, and yours must not include the artist/album info. Maybe someone has an easier solution, but this is what I would do:

Import an album folder by folder, in the way you said you just did (with only the song name being captured) Shift+click to highlight all the songs for that album, and right click and choose get info. In the second tab called "info", you can add the artist and album, genre, etc. Click ok, and it will add the information to the entire album.

The only reason why you have to do this album by album is that if you import your entire collection at once, you won't know what song is from what album, and won't be able to mass change the info.

It depends how many CDs you have, but this has to be faster than ripping each CD over again.

The only other thing I can suggest is searching for some type of utility that would batch edit your id3 tags to include artist and album by you telling it which part of the folder structure is the album and which is the artist. If you could find something, then when you import to iTunes, it should work fine.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks Newsbotster, I'll have a look around to see if i can find something and post back with a link if i find something. If anyone knows of such a utility, then please pass on the details.

Thanks Again
Old 03-05-2005, 09:10 AM

Junior Lounger

tag&rename is the utility I used, and should be able to do what you want.

It can populate id3 tags based on filename (not sure if it can reference folder names too, but it might)

It can also recreate filenames based on id3 tags.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

unfortuntaly they dont appear to work with Folder structures. only by using the filename itself and masking from that. If anyone has cracked this problem any fiurther help would be appreciated
Old 03-07-2005, 06:28 AM

iHungry

What I do with untagged songs is I make a smart playlist with condition of the tracks is added today, so I can easily see which tracks are not tagged, so you can just group select, get info and add the artist and album etc.

After you import your tracks does iTunes register a song name?

If iTunes has already got the track names that will save you the trouble of typing each one in, which would really be a pain in the arse.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:42 AM

Junior Lounger

Using tag and rename seems to work, but you might need to experiment. Laid out the way you describe, Use the 'create tags from filename' option, and in the 'mask' field, try

\%1\%3\%2

This should populate the ID tags based on folders being artist\album\track.mp3

Do 'test' first to see if they work. You may need to copy the folders to the root of a drive.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

great thanks mrklaw- I'll give it a go

Topic: importing existing mp3s into itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.