Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to check all songs???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Junior Lounger

How to check all songs???

After 3 years, this is my first problem with iTunes, so I guess I've been lucky.

For some reason, my iTunes just crashed, and when I restarted it, none of my songs (over 3200 of them) were checked, so therefore they won't be transferred into my iPod. Is there any way to check them all, since I don't want to check each song manually? I can select all, but can't find an option to check them once they're selected. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

4G 20GB iPod
2GB Black Nano
4GB Pink Mini (wife's)
PSP
Go Pats
Go Sox

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Hold down the CTRL key and click on one of the tracks, and this should select/unselect all displayed tracks (they don't need to be selected first, just displayed in the iTunes library window).

Old 02-07-2005, 05:56 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks

You're my hero ;-)

Really, that did it. Just out of curiosity, how the heck did you figure that out? I couldn't find that anywhere. Was it in the manual or help file?

4G 20GB iPod
2GB Black Nano
4GB Pink Mini (wife's)
PSP
Go Pats
Go Sox
Old 02-07-2005, 06:29 PM

It's not well-documented, but you can find it in the help file under the "Shortcuts & Tips" section. There are a few other useful keyboard shortcuts in there as well... for example, using SHIFT-DEL when deleting songs from a playlist (or the playlist itself), will also delete those tracks from the library.

Another little-known feature is that you can actually select tracks and drag-and-drop them from iTunes to a Windows explorer window in order to copy those tracks out.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

jhollington & davsug, thanks so much for this posting as you just saved me a ton of grunt work! Like yourself davsug I had issues with my itunes with all songs somehow becoming deselected and was slowly but surely pulling my hair out (what little I have left) reconstructing my libary and continuous play back ability by checking off my songs one by one.......this is really good stuff jhollington, THANK YOU BOTH!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Veteran Lounger

The original post is a few years old and this option may not have been in the right click menu then. You can also now select all the songs in iTunes, right click one and choose "Check Selection".

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 PM

Veteran Lounger

Should p'bly add that for Macs the keys are: Cmd-click a checkbox to toggle all checkboxes in the displayed playlist; Option-Delete to trigger iTunes to offer to delete files (only for files that reside in the designated iTunes Music folder); and (it hasn't come up in this thread but it's really useful) hold down the Option key when dropping files onto iTunes window to temporarily toggle the "Add files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" pref.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
(it hasn't come up in this thread but it's really useful) hold down the Option key when dropping files onto iTunes window to temporarily toggle the "Add files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" pref.
Thanks for that one Mac, it will come in handy when I add new Audible books which is about the only thing I want copied to my music folder these days.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks so much! That crap was driving me nuts!

Topic: How to check all songs???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.