converting windows media player playlists into itunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

zoeconnor

Hi, please can anyone help me.
Before getting my ipod and converting all my music into itunes, i had all my music in windows media player (latest version).
Is there anyway i can import my (many) playlists into itunes??

Website
www.ilounge.com
Make sure your playlists in Windows Media Player are saved as .M3U files (you may have to use "Save As" or "Export" in WMP to convert them).

You should then be able to import these M3U files into iTunes using the File->Import menu.

iZON

iPod Patrol
What Jesse said, also dbpowerAMP is a great tool not only for ripping, but for converting audio files from one format to another.

zoeconnor

Thanks - but in my windows media player - version 10 - it doesn't give the option of save as or export for the playlists. I'll try out the dbpowerAMP and see if that works

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, in WMP10 what you need to do is to add your playlist to the "Now Playing" list, and then select File->Save Now Playing List As...

From there, you should be able to select M3U as one of the file types.

zoeconnor

dbpower does not seem to convert the windows media player playlists - they are .wpl files.

Any other ideas??

I have a horrible feeling that it's not going to be possible :(

zoeconnor

oops jhollington - just read your post - sounds promising - will let you know if it works - Thanks

kookykrys

Make sure your playlists in Windows Media Player are saved as .M3U files (you may have to use "Save As" or "Export" in WMP to convert them).

You should then be able to import these M3U files into iTunes using the File->Import menu.
I was able to do this and have my playlist saved as a .M3U file. Imported it into iTunes... aaaaand! Empty playlist! What gives? Any suggestions? I am using Windows Vista and Windows Media Player 11 with the latest iTunes.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Have you imported the tracks themselves into iTunes first? Importing an M3U playlist only imports the entries -- you have to import the tracks manually before importing the playlist so that it can match up with what's in your library.

jogtagcmgsng

Similar instance - using windows 7, have imported playlist but it is empty. I have convereted all wma music into the itunes library. Does it matter where the playlist is vs the tunes? Thanks in advance.