Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes-purchased songs won't transfer to iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-21-2005, 08:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes-purchased songs won't transfer to iPod

hi--

i just upgraded iTunes from 4.2 to 4.7 and purchased some music--the REM iTunes originals, some tracks from that. when i go and try to transfer them onto my iPod, however, it refuses to do that. i get the circle with the slash through it icon. i bought stuff from iTunes in the past and have had no problems. the files say they are protected, but should work on my iPod, i would think. what do i need to do toget these files onto my iPod?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

same thing

I have the same problem... it is an mp4 file and not ACC for some reason; bought from iTunes Store.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

anyone? not being able to transfer these songs to my iPod makes me not want to waste my money on the iTunes store anymore.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:34 PM

Have you been able to successfully play these songs through iTunes itself? Have you tried? You may need to play a protected tracks at least once so that your computer will be "authorized" before they will actually transfer. The fact that you've just updated iTunes may have an impact as well.

Also, for the record, "AAC" files have either a .M4A (unprotected) or .M4P (protected) extension. AAC stands for "Advanced Audio Coding", but it's actually known as the "MPEG-4 AAC Standard"

Old 01-25-2005, 03:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Exclamation Still not working

I am having this exact same problem. I have also tried what was suggested in this thread and it is still not working. I have purchased a lot of music since my last sync and it will not let me drag them over to my ipod. I have played several tracks on my pc since the itunes upgrade and it is still not working. I don't think that would be the answer though. I purchased over 100$ of music included three long audio books and it would be a horrible design flaw if I had to play each one of those tracks on my pc in order to authorize them and then transfer them to my ipod. Any cd that I rip and import to my library will import fine. Please help with this.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Make sure you have the latest iPod software (i.e., firmware) installed on your iPod:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have updated the firmware to the latest and greatest, however now when I open itunes it says that there is a later version that I need to upgrade the ipod firmare with (so maybe I haven't) I have done this three times today and have done it many times in the past..I still get the message when I start itunes and I can still not import purchased music. Any idea's?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

aha--for me, upgrading my iPod software worked like a charm, and allowed the iTunes stuff to transfer. thank you!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have both the latest iPod firmware and iTunes software and the song plays all the way through on iTunes, but I still can't transfer it to my iPod.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have the same problem

I am having the same problem, can't transfer purchased music, even after updating iTunes and iPod. Simply won't allow me to. I can always convert the files myself by playing and recording them but why should I have too?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

No I don't have an answer. I am also having the same problem. I broke my first IPOD; now any purchased itunes music will not tranfer over to my new IPOd. The titles come up; but the songs don't play...just goes to next tune. I can play the song in my library; but not on the IPOd.

I've searched the web...can't find a thing.

Please help!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

I would just like to use this opportunity to say that iTunes customer support is a joke. I guess I'll try burning them to CD and then ripping them. Sweet.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I Realized that when I updated my iTunes program that I ran the older setup program I downloaded, version 4.7.0.92 (which I already had to begin with!) so I really didn't update to the newest version as I thought I had. So I located the NEWEST version which I had downloaded (same folder as the old one) and ran it. After updating iTunes to 4.7.1.30 and my iPod to ver 2.2 (3rd Gen iPod) I was able to transfer music purchased from iTunes without a further hitch!!! Hooray!!! I am in complete agreement that Apple's customer service is a joke, but then so is pretty much all customer service via the internet (and beyond). I just wish they would address the issue instead of ignoring it so people aren't left out in the cold. Anyway, make absolutely sure that you have updated to the latest versions, it should work just fine if you do. Hope that helps ya'll!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Could it be that simple?!?!?

Same friggin problem. I did the update....nothing. So I thought I would just try what 'jhollington' suggested and play them once. Well...wouldn't you know it, it asked me to log in like I when you do your first purchase of the session. After that, I was able to drag them right over. Not sure if it's that simple for everyone else, but worked for me. The new Beck EP is sweeeeeet!!!

Last edited by Ballzee; 02-10-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Wierd

Strange that playing them once would fix the problem, maybe it had to re-authorize your system? I still think we should hound apple till they address this issue directly.

Topic: iTunes-purchased songs won't transfer to iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.