Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 AM

Reclined Lounger

i was looking at smartplaylists.com it's good but i know most of that stuff... need some really good playlists

iPod Nano 8GB, 3G (silver)- Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 100

last.fm
Old 05-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Reclined Lounger

Have you tried making a smart playlist that rotates your entire library, as if it was a personal radio station? I got the idea off smartplaylists.com but modified it a bit to suit my purposes. It is 1 main playlists that runs off of 6 sub-playlists.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:51 PM

Reclined Lounger

i was asked to make a smartplaylist for a friend who is into astronomy and was fed up with his heavy rock, and punk coming up on shuffle so this is what I made...

"Astronomical!"

Comment contains 'Calm'
Name contains Planet
" " Star
" " Space
" " (all of the solar system)
" " Alien
" " Supernova

etc.

what would you do to improve it?
i've got to e-mail it to him soon

thanks in advance

last.fm
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2808
i was asked to make a smartplaylist for a friend who is into astronomy and was fed up with his heavy rock, and punk coming up on shuffle so this is what I made...

"Astronomical!"

Comment contains 'Calm'
Name contains Planet
" " Star
" " Space
" " (all of the solar system)
" " Alien
" " Supernova

etc.

what would you do to improve it?
i've got to e-mail it to him soon

thanks in advance
Not strictly astronomical, but I'd add "sky" and "cloud" to the name contains rules. Also, you might want to exclude tracks longer than [x] (eg. to avoid including that 19 min live version of "Dark Side of the Moon" where the middle 11 minutes just sounds like someone licking a guitar).

Last edited by ozpodphot; 05-10-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

On a separate note, I'm quite happy with my solution to this problem:
- I like listening on "shuffle songs" quite a bit
- I have a fair bit of classical and children's music, as well as iTrip stations, none of which I want when listening on shuffle
- I don't want to set the pod to shuffle all songs, since this is a pain when you want to listen to a whole album in order or classical
- my pod seems to love the Beatles' "Abbey Road", which is a great album but I get completely sick of hearing it on shuffle

Basically, I wanted to be able to play the whole library randomly but excluding the stuff that's no good on random and stuff I've just heard. So, my "Random" SPL is...
- Genre is not classical
- Genre is not children's music
- Artist is not Griffin Technology
- Last played is not in the last 30 days

Make sure "auto updating smart playlist" is on.

The last played rule and auto updating are critical because it means that once I've heard a song on the random SPL, it drops off. So the next time I come back to play "Random", the song has gone from the SPL.

Now, I'm sure the pod will put Abbey Road up into the beginning of the Random SPL (little #######), but I'm guaranteed that once I've heard it one more time it'll drop off for at least 30 days. Phew!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 AM

Reclined Lounger

any songs you don't want on shuffle (comedy songs, interludes etc.) you can choose to remove from the shuffle:

choose your song(s)
click 'get info'
'options'
click the 'skip when shuffling' box

i know this would take a while but if grouped together by making a smart playlist you could then apply this to multiple items and delete the playlist (ive only got a 4GB mini so i can do this without taking too long )

last.fm
Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Reclined Lounger

oh yeah, thks for the tips i think he's got the 'Dark Side Of The Moon' album and live copies

'night' could be another criteria

damn time zones i have to wait ages before US and aussies start posting again !!!!

last.fm
Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
any songs you don't want on shuffle (comedy songs, interludes etc.) you can choose to remove from the shuffle:

choose your song(s)
click 'get info'
'options'

i know this would take a while but if grouped together by making a smart playlist you could then apply this to multiple items and delete the playlist (ive only got a 4GB mini so i can do this without taking too long )
thanks. this is a great tip. wish I'd known about it long ago.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:

choose your song(s)
click 'get info'
'options'
i have never been able to get this 'skip when shuffling' feature to work on my 5G or mini. it works fine in itunes, but not on either of my ipods. yes, i deleted the songs from the ipods and re-sync'd the songs after i modified their properties to 'skip'. i have the latest fw on both ipods and the latest itunes. i know i'm doing this correctly since it works within itunes, but for some reason the feature doesn't transfer over to my ipods. any ideas? anyone else having trouble with this feature? i'd love to be able to use it!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

bummer. I was planning to try it out this weekend. will still do so and let you know if I have any luck. I'm running a 4G.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:

choose your song(s)
click 'get info'
'options'

hmmm. not getting very far. when I select "get info" for a single track, the "options" tab is available and I can check "skip when shuffling". However, when I seletct multiple songs, I can't choose the "options" tab. instead, I get the simpler "multiple song information" screen which doesn't have a "skip when shuffling" box.

this means that to get "skip when shuffling" onto each of the songs I don't want shuffled would mean individually selecting and editing >600 tracks. no way Jose!

so I'm back to using my "Random" SPL - which actually seems to be working out pretty well.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Reclined Lounger

answering rockmyplimsoul's query , you will know if it is working on your ipod if when you select 'shuffle songs' on your ipod there should be less songs for shuffle than you have in your whole digital collection (i.e. say you have your 4 gb mini with 800 songs and you selected 50 'skip when shuffling' it should say '1 out of 750' not 800)

if not try updating your ipod after it or make sure if you have it on manual (like me) that you change the 'get info' only when in your ipod's collection not the main library.

(i've just checked now on my mini -it should work if done properly)

hope this helps.

(i'll be back at 7pm GMT )

last.fm

Last edited by andy2808; 05-12-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 PM

ok, now i see the problem ... 'skip when shuffling' only works with the 'shuffle songs' function (i.e. the 'quick shuffle' from the main menu). it does not work with the shuffle/songs or shuffle/album playback setting. not very intuitive, and a shame that it has this limitation!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Reclined Lounger

yep. i hope i still helped.

last.fm
Old 05-22-2006, 04:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

I sync my 4gb Nano iPod with playlists. Since my iTunes library has 60GB+, I developed a method for listening to all my music on my iPod, and to have my playlists always updated with diferent songs. With this method I can create about 10 "genre smart playlists" to fit my Nano.

First I build a folder called "building blocks". Inside this folder I build a subfolder for each "genre smart playlist" I want to make. Inside each "genre folder" I have two playlists.

One is called "[genre] my rating":
rules "all"
genre is ...
my rating is greater than "0 stars"
limit to 100MB per least recently played

Second is called "[genre] playcount":
rules "all"
genre is ...
last played is not in the last 5 days
playlist is not "[genre] my rating"
limit to 200MB random

When "building block" are ready I make the correspondent "genre smart playlist" that I use to sync my Nano iPod. This playlist is:
rules "any"
playlist is "[genre] playcount"
playlist is "[genre] my rating"

This way I have a 300MB "genre smart playlist" that is always updated with diferent songs, in which some I like more (the songs I've rated) and come around more often, and the others are always fresh songs that haven't listen in a while or haven't at all.

Comments ??

Last edited by FePa; 05-22-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Topic: Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.