Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here - Page 14 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3167 View Post
I think what I'm still missing is my understanding of the logic of needing eveything upstream of your spl to be synced to the device in order for live updating to work. In my experience the 4 Star Old playlist you describe uses the entire ITunes library for it's source since an alternative playlist is not specified. If the entire ITunes library is not synced to the device doesnt this break live updating?
Actually, it specifies *nothing* for where it pulls from. If that smartlist is currently residing "in" iTunes, your whole library is eligible for inclusion. If that smartlist is on your 4GB mini, the entire contents of your mini is eligible for inclusion. If that smartlist is on your 160GB classic, the entire contents of your 160GB is eligible for inclusion.

It is completely general in what it pulls from.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Toronto Tonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3167 View Post
I have a SPL for top 20 listened to tracks in my library. Based on the contents of this list, I create Genius Playlists of 50 tracks for each of these 20 songs. I update Genius and refresh these lists weekly.
tim, are you manually creating the 20 genius playlists or is there some way to say, "make a genius list for each of the songs on this playlist" in itunes?

if it can be automated, it sounds like a cool set of lists...

john
Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Nope, havent figured that out. I manually create the 20 genius playlists. That's not too bad since these songs remain fairly constant. It's the weekly refreshing that I wish I could automate. ITunes with Macros....hmmm......
Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 PM

xeu
Freshman Lounger

codemonkey you are the man, i can finally liveupdate on my nano!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lately I've been really interested in SPLs, so I decided to give them a try and I love it. I'm a huge progressive metal fan and as any prog metal fan would know, you can't listen to it on shuffle because it messes up the segues and the flow of the music throughout the album. So I decided that I would try and create a playlist for my favorite parts of the albums. I then went through my music library (which took a while) and put tags into my comments, such as "instrumental" or "segue" so that I would only get the pure musical genius moments on my playlists. The playlist would look something like this:

Genre is progressive metal
rating is 5 stars
comments does not include segue

I'm still working on it, but that's what I've got so far. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 PM

As an alternative to using Comments to prevent certain songs from entering a playlist, you can also use the "Skip when shuffling" option in a song's tag to prevent it from playing when the iPod or iTunes is in shuffle mode. Of course, if you don't want such songs to ever be in the playlist, then what you're doing is fine. But if you want to prevent certain songs from coming up in shuffle mode, use the "Skip" option.

Just as an aside, you can also throw in criteria like "Last played is not in the last X days" so that you can exit the playlist and come back to it later without hearing the same songs. Just choose X to be any amount of time that seems appropriate to you.

Have fun!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM

ape
Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Actually, it specifies *nothing* for where it pulls from. If that smartlist is currently residing "in" iTunes, your whole library is eligible for inclusion. If that smartlist is on your 4GB mini, the entire contents of your mini is eligible for inclusion. If that smartlist is on your 160GB classic, the entire contents of your 160GB is eligible for inclusion.

It is completely general in what it pulls from.
Hi I have some questions / issues which I think are related to what you're talking about here.
My library is larger than my 60gb ipod, so I'm trying to control what is left off when I auto sync by using playlists.

How I'm trying to do it at the moment:

A Smart playlist called "Smart No Sync" and a standard playlist called "Manual No Sync". With the smart list I can set rules such as Time is greater than 30 mins, to stop long tracks going to the ipod. With the manual list I can select certain albums. These lists are not set to sync.

I then have another smart list called "For Ipod" which is checked to sync, and limited to the size of my ipod. The rule for this list is Playlist is not "Smart No Sync" or "Manual No Sync". So it excludes everything I don't want.

Any other smart lists I have that I want to sync include the rule playlist is "For Ipod" along with whatever other conditions.

The problem is that when I sync, all the sync'd lists are flagged as referring to a playlist that is not available, which is obviously true as my "No Sync" lists are not on the ipod! I think this means that live updating of my lists won't work.

Do you have any suggestions on how to sort this out, and achieve what I'm trying to do. Hope I've made sense!!

Many Thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape View Post
Hi I have some questions / issues which I think are related to what you're talking about here.
My library is larger than my 60gb ipod, so I'm trying to control what is left off when I auto sync by using playlists.

How I'm trying to do it at the moment:

A Smart playlist called "Smart No Sync" and a standard playlist called "Manual No Sync". With the smart list I can set rules such as Time is greater than 30 mins, to stop long tracks going to the ipod. With the manual list I can select certain albums. These lists are not set to sync.

I then have another smart list called "For Ipod" which is checked to sync, and limited to the size of my ipod. The rule for this list is Playlist is not "Smart No Sync" or "Manual No Sync". So it excludes everything I don't want.

Any other smart lists I have that I want to sync include the rule playlist is "For Ipod" along with whatever other conditions.

The problem is that when I sync, all the sync'd lists are flagged as referring to a playlist that is not available, which is obviously true as my "No Sync" lists are not on the ipod! I think this means that live updating of my lists won't work.

Do you have any suggestions on how to sort this out, and achieve what I'm trying to do. Hope I've made sense!!

Many Thanks
If I'm understanding you right....I would just put your exclusion parameters from "Smart No Sync" and "Manual No Sync" into your "For Ipod" Smart Playlist.

Don't have "For IPOD" refer to either of those playlist but put in the parameter "time is < 30 minutes" type of thing so that "For IPOD" won't grab anything over 30 minutes and the same goes for the album exclusions. That way "For IPOD" doesn't refer to those playlists but still carries all your desired parameters.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:37 PM

ape
Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your reply, you have understood right me I think!

I see what you mean and I think that would indeed work for the "smart no sync" list. However, the manual one is a normal list, so has no rules - I just drag albums I don't want syncing into it. So I always need to refer to this one so the "For Ipod" list knows what to leave out. Can't think how to get round that.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Junior Lounger

Happy to help....you could always add "album is not ...." to your "For Ipod" list to exclude any albums you didn't want. It's a bit more over head as you'd need to adjust as your album wants changed but it gets the job done.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM

ape
Freshman Lounger

Yes that will work. Bit of work to make all the extra rules, but I suppose once it's done, its quick to add more. It'll do till I get a bigger ipod anyway!
Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Junior Lounger

Thoughts On Playlist Order

I do not like having to put the iPod in "shuffle" mode when I am playing a playlist. I found a few imperfect ways of having the playlist sorted psuedo-randomly.

The order a playlist shows up on your iPod is based on the order it is shown in iTunes. The far left column shows the order number. You can change this by sorting on any of the columns you have shown. If you sort based on "artist" ascending, then the songs of "Alien Ant Farm" in the playlist will come before those of "Michael Jackson".

The example above is not random, so what columns do we have that can be used to randomize?

1. Track Number - This is pretty random, but over time you may find your are always hearing the first songs of albums quite often if you don't often listen to all the songs in your playlist before the next sync. Additonally, the first songs tend to get listened to more often anyway by virtue of the fact that they nearly always get played when listening to an album. Sorting by track number descending could give an extra bump to songs at the end of albums that you don't always listen all the way through to.

2. Alphabetically By Track Name - again, pretty random, but it would give a lopsided advantage to songs earlier or later in the alphabet. Also, different versions of a sing would get played sequentially - you might like that.

3. Time - Long songs first? Short songs first? Your choice.

4. Bit Rate - If you are using an external program to encode your tracks in a VBR format it is likely to tag it with the actual bitrate like "219kbps (VBR)". this I think is the most random option, provided your whole collection is encoded using the same options. If yours is like mine, you have selected various target bitrates and this could make the order lean towards your older or newer target bitrate. Early on I encoded at 320 kbps, nowadays it 192 VBR. But still, I think this may be the best randomization technique.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by snash22; 09-09-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 View Post
Any other ideas?

I prefer your disliked option: put the iPod on shuffle songs mode

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobZ View Post
I prefer your disliked option: put the iPod on shuffle songs mode
Actually, the shuffle mode works great, but I hate when I forget to turn shuffle off when I switch to an album. That is my ultimate goal.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can anyone help me out with this?

Ok, here is my question. What smart playlist sorting options are supported by ipod classic? I mean, if i sort the smart list by year on itunes, every time a new song makes the list its sorted by year. Will this work on the ipod?

Topic: Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.