Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Mapped network drive bug

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-25-2004, 05:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Mapped network drive bug

I've searched for any posts about this issue, but didn't find one that directly answered this question.

Specs:
Windows XP Home
iTunes 4.7
Home network w/ router (802.11g)

I have iTunes on my wife's laptop. I set up a folder on my desktop computer for her to use to store all her music (since she has limited HD space on her laptop). I mapped this network folder to drive E: and set drive E: as her default music folder in iTunes. This works perfectly...HOWEVER...

If for some reason the mapped network drive can't be found when iTunes is lauched, it changes the default music folder to C:\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music automatically with no warning. This has happened when our piece of garbage router decided to drop all client network connections. Yes, I'm about to replace this $150 waste of money. Still, this already caused my wife to start ripping CDs to her local drive because iTunes didn't warn her that the default location had changed.

This is a most irritating bug. Everytime this happens, she has to change the default folder back to E: and wait while iTunes rebuilds the database. I'd much rather just see an error that the music couldn't be loaded rather than it just defaulting back to some other folder.

Is there no way to force iTunes to only use this drive E: ? I seriously hate software that changes settings that I make, especially without telling me. I mean, give me a chance to fix the problem instead of just changing something. That makes no sense to me at all.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Have you found any information regarding this issue? I am running into the same problem with Windows XP, with a mapped drive on a computer that is not always on. Any advice would be helpful
Old 12-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

I can't find any good solutions to this problem, so I wrote a simple VBScript that I run in order to open iTunes. It simply makes a call to windows to reconnect to the mapped network drive, then runs iTunes. I replaced the iTunes icon on the desktop with a shortcut to the script, and then changed the icon to mimic the iTunes icon.

Here is the script I am using if you or anyone else wants it.
Code:
' Variables that hold drive letter to use, network path to map, and itunes program executable path
MAPPED_DRIVE_LETTER = "v:"
MUSIC_NETWORK_PATH = "\\Gamepc\ipod jukebox"
ITUNES_PROGRAM_PATH = "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"

' Setup shell to run command line with windows
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' Execute the drive remapping command, and wait for it to complete
returnVal = WshShell.Run("net use " & MAPPED_DRIVE_LETTER & " """ & MUSIC_NETWORK_PATH & """",1,True)

' Open iTunes
WshShell.Run """" & ITUNES_PROGRAM_PATH & """"
Old 12-14-2005, 11:57 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

iTune doesn't let u use a non-local drive to hold its database, but u should be able to keep your MP3 somewhere else.

Leave the default music folder where it is. When u add musics to your library (database) u should say "do not copy songs." I believe this is a once-off option, somewhere under preferences.

And u do not disconnect the network drive until synching is complete (duh).
Old 02-13-2007, 04:15 AM

Senior Lounger

Is this correct? I've been messing around for the past few days trying to get my new external drive to be the location for my music library without success. When I try to consolidate my library to there I just get a cannot read or write to the drive error.
How do I get around this, I still need to use the new drive for my mp3's as I need to free up some space on my laptop and pc, but without consolidating I don't know how to do it without losing my playcounts, ratings etc.

Topic: Mapped network drive bug

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.