Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Network problem with iTunes??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

Network problem with iTunes??

Hello -

My iTunes was working perfectly until I installed a Network Attached hard disk (Buffalo Linkstation - works great!!)

I mapped the network drive so that to iTunes the data would appear to be in the same place.

iTunes started no problem, and my library was intact.

Things went wrong though when I put my iPod in. The disk gauge at the bottom said "used 20GB, free 80GB". It took an hour to update, and when I checked there was no difference on the iPod. I have since tried reformatting the iPod and reinstalling iTunes. I still have my music library intact on the PC, but whenever I update it, it takes an hour or so, and my iPod is still blank.

The only clue I can give is that on my network, a file appeared called iTunes_control - which seams to have all my music duplicated in (it is 9GB which is the same as my music store on the PC).

Is it writing my music library to my network instead of the iPod for some reason???

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

UPDATE

I've just moved all my music back onto the local hard drive (albeit in a different location) and the problem persists.

Also, everytime I put my iPod in the cradle, I get the iPod Setup assistant - as if it is the first time I have synchronised my iPod on the machine.

GETTING TO THE BOTTOM OF IT - BUT HELP STILL NEEDED PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems that whenever I dock my iPod, it mounts a folder in Windows explorer (I:) - even though I have not clicked (enable disk usage). drive I: happens to be the network drive also (mapped through Windows explorer. So if I dock my iPod after switching off my network, it happily sends music to the drive it's mounted - which is my iPod. But if the network is on, my PC creates an iPod_control folder on the network (drive I:) obviously foolishly thinking that that is the iPod.

So the workaround is obviously to disconnect the network mapped drives.

I have tried enabling, then disabled disk usage - but to no avail.

What's going on??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by daviesap; 09-03-2004 at 05:06 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes thinks Mapped Drive is an iPod!

I had the same exact problem. It seems that iTunes sees a mapped network drive as if it were the iPod. It is necessary to disconnect the mapped network drive in order to update the iPod.

I am surprised that I have not seen more information about this issue since it is a serious bug!

Please let me know if you found a workaround...
Old 02-12-2006, 03:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry iTUNES Duplicates Songs on Shared Drive Before Syncing iPOD

MISERY LOVES COMPANY

I have a similar problem, but I am offering what I hope is a different perspective.

I have a 200GB Maxtor NAS (Network Accessible Storage) Drive (Windows XP) which stores all my music and is accessible through my home Internet Router on \\Fred\Shared\My Music .

I have populated iTunes 6.0223 (File - Add Folder ) with my music that is on \\Fred\Shared\My Music - that works fine.

However, the PROBLEM is that when I plug my iPOD in and synchronize it, iTunes automatically creates a new folder in \\Fred\Shared\ called IPOD_CONTROL and makes a copy of ALL my songs from \\Fred\Shared\My Music.

I have a 60GB iPOD and I have about 50GB of music. The problem is that when I synchronize, my Maxtor has 100GB of music on it because iTunes has made a duplicate in IPOD_CONTROL onto the NAS.

Oh, there is another problem iTunes renames my iPOD, which is called "Piper" to "SHARED"

Yes, all the songs end up on the iPOD (after 5 hours), but they are duplicated on the NAS drive too.

Anybody have a solution? Since the previous posts are dated in 2004, maybe somebody has found a solution since?

Thanks

PCdork

?????
(='.'=)
('.')_('.')

Last edited by PCdork; 02-12-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Topic: Network problem with iTunes??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.