Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't change playlist order

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-03-2004, 05:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Can't change playlist order

Okay, got a weird problem with my iTunes. Normally I can go into the playlists and re-arrange the play order of the tracks, just by dragging files. But I have one specific playlist at the moment that won't allow me to do this. It has previously allowed me, but about 3-4 days ago, it just wouldn't let me drag/move tracks. The only way I can change the order is by clicking on the columns, which then allows me to reorganise by name, or file size, date added, etc. BTW, I can still add tracks to the playlist. Any thoughts on why it won't drag and rearrange?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

Any Update??/

Any one have any suggestions on this one? I'm having the same problem.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:37 PM

Reclined Lounger

i had that for a while. look to make sure that you select the left column (click on the top of the column). if you have any other column selected, the song order will be arranged by that criteria, and is thus unable to be rearranged.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Dude, you are my hero.....
Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

shuffle

I stumbled upon this forum because i had the same problem. I discoverd that the posted solution was not working for me. In some playlists i could re-arrange and others i could not! Then i discoverd that one playlist was set on shuffle and there for i could not re-arrange the list.
===============
So the complete solution is
-select the left column (as said before)
-turn of shuffle for that specific playlist.
===============
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

thanks chiel

yes, yes and yes.. the undo shuffle left column click combo worked for me too. thanks a bunch. it should be more intuitive than that. oh well.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

i'm stumped i still can't rearrange my playlist

my playlist wasn't in shuffle mode to begin with, and i also have been able to change the order by dragging and dropping but i can't now. so, i have tried all of the solutions offered here and none of them work. I'm thinking I might just alter the song titles alphabetically to make it happen. Annoying, but it will work if I list songs by name, I figure.

In the meantime, any ideas on an even different alternative from these?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 AM

AnnetteGlamour
Banned

Cant change playlist order

Easy problem to fix. You have to make sure the shuffle setting on that playlist is turned off in iTunes. THEN you sync, and your iPod should show the playlist in order. You see, when you sync your iPod to iTunes while iTunes has a shuffled playlist, it will sync shuffled.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ditto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydingus View Post
dude, you are my hero.....

dittto!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

hey, ive recently joined this forum for this exact problem because i couldn't find the solution anywhere else. I've followed the steps as mentioned above but nothing works for me. I have an itouch 64gb and before that i had a 16gb version which i was able to change playlists without a problem. Now i have it, any other solutions?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

After clicked the albums heading to see the albums in playlist i could not reorder using all of the suggestions. Solved by setting up a new empty playlist then "select all" in the original corrupted playlist and dragged all the tunes over to the new playlist. The reorder then worked in the new playlist and I deleted the original playlist
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

none of these worked for me too. but there is one other solution. you can change the years starting with 2010 and going down. to flip this order around, you can click the year button at the top.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Remote App

Problem solved after turning off shuffle setting. Thanks everyone.

One note, I caused the problem when using the "remote" app on my iphone for the first time. You can shuffle the playlist from your iphone locking the new random order of songs on your computer. I guess that makes sense, but I did not connect the dots until reading the posts here.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizeegrrl View Post
my playlist wasn't in shuffle mode to begin with, and i also have been able to change the order by dragging and dropping but i can't now. so, i have tried all of the solutions offered here and none of them work. I'm thinking I might just alter the song titles alphabetically to make it happen. Annoying, but it will work if I list songs by name, I figure.

In the meantime, any ideas on an even different alternative from these?
You probably did not click on the little tab right above the song numbers (the order that the songs are in). It's a little tab and you have to make sure you click on that otherwise you are wasting your time. I spent minutes wasting my time until i stumbled on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 PM

I had this problem too. I had a shuffled playlist that I wanted to mix up more because some artists would repeat or be too close together. I couldn't move them and if I unshuffled the list everything was in alphabetical order (at first, I could move things once it was unshuffled). So I shuffled the playlist, then created an empty playlist, and dragged everything from the shuffled list to the new list. Now everything was in the shuffled order in the new playlist, but the list itself didn't have the shuffle button highlighted and I could change the order manually. I love how Apple makes everything so simple!

Topic: Can't change playlist order

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.