Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how do u organize ur playlists?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-05-2003, 11:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

how do u organize ur playlists?

i know it's a strange topic, but as i meanwhile have nearly reached my 20 gb i started thinking what was the best way to organize one's playlists...

so are ur playlists sorted after artists, album, category or just some self-made samplers?

max

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:10 PM

I tend not to make playlist based on artists or genres, since the iPod will sort songs by those categories automatically. Most of my regular playlists are the equivalent of mix tapes. Most of my Smart Playlists are filters of some kind - i.e. Every Song Whose Play Count is 0 or Every Song Whose Date Added is in the Last Two Weeks, etc.

1G iPod 5GB : lucy 4G iPod Photo 60GB : SoaringRabbit| iMac G4 800Mhz | 17" Aluminum Powerbook| OS 10.3 | LaCie 160 GB External Firewire HD - 70 GB of Music!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:09 PM

All of my playlists are self-made.

I'm experimenting with smart ones like all songs titles with the word "you" or "love" or "time" - which definitely creates some interesting choices.

Other fave playlists of mine are Music2Explore (for tunes/bands I don't know that well) FeelGood or Headbangin'

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them." my band: slave called shiver
Old 07-06-2003, 04:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

thx for ur responses - i have already tried ur ideas - not bad....
i noticed that u're from austria ginalee...
ich bin aus wels, ober?sterreich - von wo kommst du?
Old 07-06-2003, 04:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

i've got a question regarding the playlists...
when using intelligent playlists i might have songs in more than 1 playlist...

when i've got for example 1 song in 4 playlists and upload all 4 playlists to my ipod... will the song be only stored once on the ipod and will work with alias or will it be on the ipod 4times?
thx for ur help
max
Old 07-06-2003, 08:59 AM

Unless you have two distinct copies of the song in your iTunes library, you'll never have the same song on your iPod twice. Try it: find a song that's already on your iPod, and drag and drop it from your iTunes Library to your iPod.
This is because iTunes handles songs based on database ID. Each song has a unique numerical ID number. If iTunes is loading a playlist onto your iPod, it knows which songs are already on your iPod and simply links the playlist to the file already on the iPod.

Smart Playlists are cool; if you were to delete everything off your iPod but leave the Smart Playlist on, and then load new, different songs onto your iPod. the Smart Playlist would fill itself with songs from the new batch that match its parameters.

1G iPod 5GB : lucy 4G iPod Photo 60GB : SoaringRabbit| iMac G4 800Mhz | 17" Aluminum Powerbook| OS 10.3 | LaCie 160 GB External Firewire HD - 70 GB of Music!
Old 07-06-2003, 01:50 PM

hi to wels

Quote:
Originally posted by maxmc2k2
thx for ur responses - i have already tried ur ideas - not bad....
i noticed that u're from austria ginalee...
ich bin aus wels, ober?sterreich - von wo kommst du?
haleehallo! komme aus bruckneudorf ca. 30 km von der ungarischen grenze und ca. 50 km von wien

nice to see fellow austrians around the lounge - it's a great place - hope you'll like it.

So are you experimenting with your playlists? I would say the best way to learn is by trial and error. It's like everything with apple - extremely user-friendly and cool

Old 07-06-2003, 03:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

jep i just tried some crazy things with intelligent playlists....
now i just have to organize the playlists with my ipod... i've just the 5 gb one, so i can't upload everything....

ps.: it's really a gr8 place here with lots of friendly people.... ;-)
Old 07-06-2003, 09:03 PM

Pro Lounger

I mostly use Smart Playlists. Examples: 2003 Releases, 100 Newest Songs, AAC Songs (Kind contains "AAC"), My Top Rated, Forgotten Songs, Best of Radiohead (Radiohead songs w/ 5 stars), etc., etc.?

Most of these Smart Playlist ideas i stole from Apple: http://www.apple.com/itunes/smartplaylists.html Look at the right column.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

i wanted to create a hardcore smart list with electronic as the category and more than 120 bpm....
as a result i got 0 files... i asked myself why and created another one with less than 120 bpm and all of my files showed up.... the reason was that ?n the BPM-section of itunes nothing showed up....
so how can i scan the BPM?
thx
max
Old 07-07-2003, 04:42 PM

You have to use a third-party utility to get the bpm, and then manually enter it into iTunes.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

oh my god.. i can't enter bpm for 6000 tracks!!!!

then it's better to create a normal playlist instead of a smart one....
Old 07-08-2003, 01:46 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by maxmc2k2
then it's better to create a normal playlist instead of a smart one....
yup...
Old 07-08-2003, 06:19 AM

Just curious - which 3d party software are we talking about here?

Isn't there a way to copy/add info for more than one song at once in iTunes - I read that somewhere but never tried it...

Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM

Junior Lounger

You can add tag info to multiple songs in iTunes by selecting all the songs you want to change, then punching Apple + i for the info screen. It will ask you if you would like to edit the info for multiple songs; say yes, and you're on your way.

30 gig iPod 'The Dude' | inCase Sports Belt | PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25 | 2gig RAM | 2 x 200gig HD's | 28gig music library

Topic: how do u organize ur playlists?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.