How to Relocate your iTunes Library - Page 5 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to Relocate your iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-15-2005, 03:10 PM

Mac Guy in an IT World

It seems like the major problems I'm reading in this thread have to do with moving the iTunes library to an external hard drive. I haven't read much of anything (at least in the last page or two) about moving the iTunes folder to a new internal hard drive.

That said, I just did a transfer to a new internal hard drive last night.

How?

I used, of all things, the iTunes help article. And...it worked!

Was running out of HD space on my main 40GB HD, so I bought a 80GB HD to replace my former slave drive (an old HD with a whopping 2.1 GB of space). I just followed the Edit-->Preferences--> type instructions given, and it worked. So now:

*All my songs are on the D: (slave) 80GB hard drive
*My .xml file is still in the My Documents/My Music folder
*All my ratings, playcounts, etc. have not changed...either in iTunes or on my iPod

I didn't have to fool around with .itl files or whatever is discussed in this thread. Not that there's anything wrong with those methods, but it was unnecessary for me.

Why? I dunno...I feel lucky/blessed that I didn't have to fool around with all kinds of exporting/importing/copying/etc.

Black 32GB iPhone 4
White 5G Video iPod & U2 Limited Edition 4G iPod
Core i5 15" MBP
iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM & Custom-built PC

"You're dangerous...'cuz you're honest." Bono/U2
Old 04-20-2005, 07:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

similar, but possibly the reverse

Hi,

I live in China and run a bar. I have a pc with XP in English, but I needed to install some software with only Chinese support for my staff. This meant I needed to install the operating system in Chinese.

XP_EN (english) is on C-drive
XP_ZN (chinese) is on D-drive

My music stored on the F-drive. All works just fine when I turn on with XP_EN. I have installed i-tunes on the Chinese side but i-tunes does not play the music when using XP_ZN. I have tried moving the library over and all sorts, I have changed the location for the program to look for the music rather than from the default location, but even though the music appears to be there, nothing is played and the movement counter just stays stationary. Is there a way of editing the registry to find my music back? I don't want the music copied onto another folder as this will obviously waste space.

Any suggestions appreciated as now my bar doesn't have any music and is playing off the original cds.
yesmaybe
Old 04-26-2005, 05:57 PM

Addicted to Pod

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmolle
The way to do it without having iTunes mangle your folder structure is to empty the itl file, then modify the xml file as per the manual folder / drive changes. Upon startup, all will be corrected. (iTunes 4.6 / WinXP)

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~smulleke/2004/...st200406101029 for details.
Just got my Mac mini yesterday and the first task was to move my music from my PC to the Mac.

Found the above post and tried it... worked like a charm. Kept my playlists, counts and ratings. Only said there were some songs it couldn't find (44 in total out of 3461) and it didn't import those. Will have to do a compare somehow to see which ones they are so I can put them back.

Regardless, that first step is done. Now for the next step, which is syncing my iPod. I imagine it will wipe out the music on it and redownload it all. Will have to see what happens tonight when I hook it up.

Click the image to open in full size.
4318 songs
Old 06-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

So from quickly looking through this I think I know the answer to my problem, but first I want to make sure before I nuke something.

I manually sync my ipod with my work laptop (which is getting replaced soon). I have another copy of itunes on the home computer.

I'm probably going to try and get the battery replaced. Most of my songs are backed up but none of my ratings (which is all I care about).

So the plan is thus:
Create groups for each rating on my laptop. Tag those songs as such.
Then copy the songs from my iPod to the home PC (this is where I'm a little worried). I'll try to drag and drop. If that doesn't work, I'll try a third party app to just copy them over. Where there is a dupe, I'll have it overwrite it so the new tags show up. This way I'll at least keep the tags.

Any advice on this grande plan?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:18 PM

Addicted to Pod

Quote:
Originally posted by chillywilly
Only said there were some songs it couldn't find (44 in total out of 3461) and it didn't import those. Will have to do a compare somehow to see which ones they are so I can put them back.

Regardless, that first step is done. Now for the next step, which is syncing my iPod. I imagine it will wipe out the music on it and redownload it all. Will have to see what happens tonight when I hook it up.
An update... I found the 44 songs back a couple of weeks ago. It was an entire artist (Local H) that I had missed when copying over my MP3 files (the MP3 folder is seperate from the iTunes Folder).

As for the synching and if all of the songs had to be recopied, that didn't happen. It simply syched without any issues.

It was much smoother than I expected.

4318 songs
Old 06-14-2005, 03:22 PM

Addicted to Pod

Quote:
Originally posted by jameyt
Then copy the songs from my iPod to the home PC (this is where I'm a little worried). I'll try to drag and drop. If that doesn't work, I'll try a third party app to just copy them over.

Any advice on this grande plan?
Use a 3rd party app like EphPod. It makes getting the songs from your iPod very easy.

4318 songs
Old 07-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Power Lounger

Is there a way to save the playcount and album art information? I will be moving my library to a Mac - and the rating fix is great but what about playcounts - also where the heck is album art stored? I really don't want to have to redo all of my album art for my music on my new PowerBook. Thanks for any insight.

~Nick - 24" C2D iMac
Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Addicted to Pod

Album art is stored in the song file, not in iTunes.

To retain everything else, just make sure to keep the original XML and edit it so it points to the new location. If you are moving to another Mac, then just make sure you put all of the music into the same path and you should be good to go.

4318 songs
Old 08-23-2005, 07:30 PM

dmz
Junior Lounger

For those who are interested - The process described on the first page of this thread works fine on version 4.9.0.17
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

similar problem: HD reformatted, but mp3s backed up

My harddrive was recently reformatted, but I had all the mp3s backed up (and restored afterwards). The iTunes folder, however, was not saved. Now I've reinstalled iTunes, and my Library is empty. But all the songs are on the harddrive, and on my iPod.

When I connect the iPod to the computer and run iTunes, the program tell me the iPod is not associated with the (empty) music Library asks if I would like to associate it with the Library. This entails having all the songs on the iPod wiped out.

Is there a way for me to add all the songs back to my Library and have the iPod associated with that Library, without having to delete and reupload all the songs on the iPod?

I'm running Windows 2000 and own a 4th generation 20GB iPod, if that helps.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had my music on an external drive that is now kaput. I can't even start iTunes on that PC anymore. I've tried going through all the exhaustive *complete* uninstall processes listed on this site, but still can't start iTunes as it looks for the folder that is on the the now non-existant drive. I'm not sure this is the proper thread for this question, but it seemed the closest fit.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for this one
Old 08-30-2005, 03:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

new computer, old external HD

I've got a new computer with the old external HD with my music on it at G:\iTunes\iTunes Music. On my new computer I've reset the location of the music as above, but it does not appear in the library. How can I get the music there?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 PM

Go to File>Add folder to library and just wait until it finishes populating the main library.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Angry Moved file and now have 750 duplicate songs

I wish I would have read this thread before I tried moving my itunes folder. For some STUPID reason I thought I should move it to c:files because I got sick and tired of navigating to the my docs/music, etc. folder when I wanted to save something from the internet. But enough whining. Somehow I ended up with over 742 duplicates. I know you can have itunes show you these, but is there any "fast" way to delete them instead of ctrl+click? Help. Thanks.

4G, 20 gig monochrome (it's not b&w, it's monochrome!, do you see white anywhere?) ipod therefore i am

Topic: How to Relocate your iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.