How to Relocate your iTunes Library - Page 4 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to Relocate your iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Junior Lounger

Basically, can I still have my iPod work if the MP3's are removed from my computer's hard drive?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

As far as I'm aware, yes, as long as you don't use iTunes... or you may possibly be able to set it to manually sync.

I'm not an expert by any means... you may wish to ask your question again as a new thread.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Got it to work!!!

THANK GOD!!!! (...and I'm agnostic by the way)

I was finally able to relocate my library to an external drive, although I did lose my playcount info. No big deal because the info that I cared about remained.

The gist -- I tried using various text editors in Windows to search and replace the drive letters. Apparently, these editors were inserting characters that iTunes doesn't like. Because it finally worked only after having a friend edit the XML file on his Apple.

Hopefully this solution works for those of you that may still be struggling with this.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

What a really interesting article, I read every thread and found the whole thing so informative and intelligent!
Congrats to all involved!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

hey guys, i was hoping i could get some help on this matter.
ive bought a new pc and want to transfer over my library.

ive tried the xml method but ace 2 problems.
1-its going to be too difficult to rename the nearly 10,000 sectors of an xml file on windows notepad.
2-i edit a few, and i could import them into itunes, but they looked like they were radio streams. and when i tried to play them it said connecting to url and did nothing.

any solutions thanks.

side problems i also face-

-all the tracks have been deleted off my ipod by accident.

-the usb ports on my old pc have decided today not to recognise anything but the mouse. doh!

-i transferred the library over ethernet to my new pc (manually, by dragging over the 'my music' folder) and imported the folder into itunes, and none of my tracks had any tag-names! nightmare.

so how do i get the library shared onto my new pc? tag names and all.

thanks for any ideas or responses you can provide.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

I know this is almost a year later but I have a question.

First thanks so much for your information. It was a godsend. I installed a 200GB HD onto my desk top so that I could download my 500+ CD collection into my IPOD but have been fustrated in my attempts to transfer all of my files to the new drive. Well, I have since copied all of the music that I have already downloaded. But, now I have a new question.....

For the not-so-computer-savy; how do I access the old music files from the "C" drive to delete. I went into "control panel" and pulled up the "C" drive and deleted all of the music from "My Music". However, the list that was located there was far short of all of the songs that have already been loaded into my iPod.

Please help.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

A quick note for anyone reading this who is having problems importing an XML library that's been modified to point to the new file structure for your files. I didn't have the option of telling iTunes to copy the files from the source drive to the target, because the source was a raid array that's now separate drives (for the time being) in the new machine. If I turn it back into a raid array at some point, I'm definitely giving it the same drive letter and path as it has now.

I struggled with this for several hours because every time I'd try to import the modified XML, the program would crash. I'd been using what I thought of as a great file editor, UltraEdit32. In a last minute bit of inspiration (I was *this* close to scrapping it and rebuilding everything) I used the file compare utility in UE32 to compare the original library file that I'd used and the modified one. In UE32 they looked identical but for the different file paths. In the file compare utility, it showed a non-standard character at the beginning of the modified file. I fired up a different editor, PFE32 (freeware), stripped off these odd characters and was able to import the library, no problem.

Well, mostly no problem. There were 200 or so files that had had a slightly different location tag in the original library. Why? I don't know. When I modded the file, those locations weren't modded because they didn't contain the original drive letter (moved my files from C: to E. When they imported, itunes seemed to think these files were now internet streams.

So I tried my process again, this time also modding those with the odd locations. When I tried to import this time, the import only pulled the files up to that first weird entry. I've got to be missing something on what else is different, but haven't found it yet.

Example: (snagged from a different post since I don't have a copy in the office)
This is a location key that modded just fine...
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/C:/Media/MP3/often%20played.mp3/</string>

This is one that didn't...
<key>Location</key><string>/Media/MP3/often%20played.mp3/</string>

Both files were fine on the old machine, but not on the new one. If anyone has any insight into what else in the XML tag for the second example needs to be updated, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Maybe

this question has been answered but, I have one my main itunes library at home which populates my ipod but I have another old itunes account at my workplace with a bunch of songs I want to put on my ipod. How can I do this? If I sync it will just overwrite the songs I have on my ipod already, right?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:43 AM

Addicted to Pod

Re: Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianVA
this question has been answered but, I have one my main itunes library at home which populates my ipod but I have another old itunes account at my workplace with a bunch of songs I want to put on my ipod. How can I do this? If I sync it will just overwrite the songs I have on my ipod already, right?
So do you have two iTunes accounts or two installs of iTunes using the same account?

If it's the latter, just copy the songs from the iTunes folder at your work and then put them in the iTunes folder at home, adding the songs to your library either by file or folder.

If it's two different accounts, then any protected AAC songs will need to be purchased again.

Click the image to open in full size.
4318 songs
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, I actually did that very thing to transfer over my itunes. It was actually slightly more complicated than that for me though. After I moved the folders into the itunes folder it could locate the song titles but I had to go through and browse to link each individual song to the title for it to be able to play. That was an exhaustive process, is there something I did wrong, for future reference?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 PM

Addicted to Pod

Keeping the same path and location for all of your songs helps a lot.

I use C:\Data\My Music\iTunes for all of my AAC files.

C:\Data\MP3 for all of my MP3s.

Of course, in 3-4 weeks, I'll be moving platforms... going to the Mac (when my Mac mini gets here). That will be a nice challenge in itself, but shouldn't be too bad as long as I know the right path to move to and editing the XML file correctly.

4318 songs
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

On that topic, what is the disincentive to transfering all your files to AAC format? Isn't that better compressed? Is it poorer quality?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 PM

Addicted to Pod

IMO, converting all tunes to AAC format does two things:

- the quality is a bit better, but not to the average ear.

and

- the files are smaller.

The latter one would be recommended if you were trying to fit 5000 songs on a 20gb iPod. Otherwise, it's best to stick with what you have.

I've tempted the idea of moving all of my stuff to AAC, but I listen to my music in more things than just iTunes or the iPod. So 98% of my music will remain in 160kbps MP3 format.

4318 songs
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Dead Horses and all that jazz

Hey Chilly, et all

I have been reading through this thread and became crazy confused about editing xml files, renaming/deleting .it files, etc.

Here's the problem, which might have been already done to death, but I'm just looking for a walk through that is for those not very tech or online music savvy.

Note: I don't own an iPod....yet....

1. I uploaded iTunes at work. I brought in several cool CDs from home, uploaded those to iTunes. Bought about 37 new songs from the iTunes Music store - uploaded to same said computer at work.
2. Work computer doesn't have burning capabilities.
3. Uploaded iTunes at home - no files in it - totally empty.
4. Zipped my XML and it files - emailed to my gmail account.
5. Opened said gmail at home - unzipped files.
6. Copied them into the iTunes folder on new empty iTunes program on home PC.
7. Songs are all showing up - but when I click on any of them - I get an error message saying the original files aren't there and do I want to find them. Can't find them of course.

Not sure what I did wrong, or why I can't access any of the paid and free music now.

Any assistance (and very easy instruction) would be so greatly appreciated.

The iTunes Newbie
Old 04-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Addicted to Pod

Are the songs in their respective folders under the iTunes folder?

ie. /Guns n Roses/Welcome To The Jungle/Night Train.m4a

It sounds like the files didn't make it over in the Zip file.

If you have access to one of those USB flash drives, that would be another option to make sure you had the files.

4318 songs

Topic: How to Relocate your iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.