How to Relocate your iTunes Library - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to Relocate your iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-09-2005, 01:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Now that I've ripped my almost 4000+ songs onto my computer I've now discovered that I need a bigger hard drive. I've read all the info I can about transferring everything over to the new hard drive but I am a newbie in many ways. I have a computer tech that helps me (so I don't royally mess things up), what should I get him to read before going through the process. I don't want loose the MANY MANY MANY hours of organizing in my iTunes (e.g. ratings ect.)
Old 02-09-2005, 02:08 PM

This message thread and this article:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_m...d=5220_0_8_0_M

Click the image to open in full size.
3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 02-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy a bit shocked

I was wondering the same matter as I was using my little beauty iBook last spring and now as I'm using iPod with my XP. I always thought there must be a proper workaroud for this (something similar to exporting your mails from Outlook Express or, say Mail).

But there isn't.. I am shocked because I'm sure lots of people are in need for this function. Even although your iPod always stores the information of playcounts, ratings and last played songs - it wont do any good since it will be reseted after you relocate your library. I think its really silly. What harm it would be to resync such information back from iPod?

I think there should be a button "Relocate your library". But I continue to believe this will be in future updates of iTunes. (Greetings for Apple)

====
4th Gen 20Gb iPod

XP SP2 1,3 Ghz
768Mb RAM
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cool Ultimate solution!!

Today I did a major discovery. I was backing up my things as I reinstalled my XP since my firewire card was fighting back (a lot!)

-> I backed up my entire "My Documents" folder. My iTunes music files are on separate partition (exactly same size than my iPod).

When I reinstalled my XP, and then moved "My Documents" folder back to where it was, and installed latest iTunes - miracle happened!

My playcounts - ratings - last played information was all there!

I suppose this is it Just back up your My Music folder since iTunes information is there. I'm not sure if someone already discovered this. I'm just so excited since I didnt lose my information.

====
4th Gen 20Gb iPod

XP SP2 1,3 Ghz
768Mb RAM
Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

I tried Schmolle's method this morning, and it worked as advertised. After emptying the .itl file and starting up iTunes, it imported the altered .xml file, analyzed the volume for some (but not all songs), and that was it! Ratings, play count and last played info were all intact and "get info" showed the revised file locations.

One point to add is that when I connected my iPod, iTunes said that the iPod had been registered to a different iTunes library and asked me if I wanted to update all of songs on the iPod to reflect the new library (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I decided to hold off on this step until I have more time, but I think it will be ok to say yes to this option. It will probably take the time to overwrite every file on the iPod, but in the end it should look the same as it did before the library move.

Anyone have experience with this part?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had a bunch of trouble copying my music over to my external hard drive, and I wish I'd looked it up here now, as I've lost all my playcounts and ratings and whatnot. What I do want to do though, is make iTunes keep its folder on my external drive, as I have no use for a My Music folder in My documents (I'm very organised when it comes to My documents :P). Someone mentioned using TweakUI to force iTunes to puts its folder on the external drive, but could you please go into detail on how I go about doing that?
Old 02-26-2005, 05:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by badger98
I tried Schmolle's method this morning, and it worked as advertised.
Darn - I tried this method and iTunes just crashed out before I even got as far as it loading up. I really thought I'd solved it.

What version of iTunes are you running?

Cheers
Vicky
Old 02-26-2005, 06:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmolle
The way to do it without having iTunes mangle your folder structure is to empty the itl file, then modify the xml file as per the manual folder / drive changes. Upon startup, all will be corrected. (iTunes 4.6 / WinXP)

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~smulleke/2004/...st200406101029 for details.
I tried this and iTunes just crashes on me before it even gets started. It really looked like it was going to be the silver bullet for me but it didn't work. I am running version 4.7.1 on Windows XP.

Any thoughts? This idea sounds like it should work.

Cheers
Vicky
Old 02-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

vickyp,

Did you make sure to leave the .itl and .xml files in their original locations on your original hard drive? You can move everything else, but those files need to stay where they were when you installed iTunes (for me it was in the My Music/iTunes folder).
Old 02-26-2005, 09:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmolle
The way to do it without having iTunes mangle your folder structure is to empty the itl file, then modify the xml file as per the manual folder / drive changes. Upon startup, all will be corrected. (iTunes 4.6 / WinXP)

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~smulleke/2004/...st200406101029 for details.
I've also been unsuccessful in moving my library to an external harddrive and am about to give up all hope. Unfortunately, the suggestion referenced above does not work for me. iTunes simply crashes upon launch. Sometimes it will rebuild the library if I make only slight (1 or 2) modifications to the XML file, but even then it completely disregards my changes and points to the files in my original location.

A bit more information about my problem:
1. Using an external USB 2.0 drive.
2. Using iTunes version 4.7.0.42
3. The only change I'm making to the XML file is an auto-replace of the "C":/<foldername>" drive reference to "E:/<foldername>" for the song records.
4. Editing the XML using textpad and / or notepad
5. Have the exact same files stored in the exact same structure on my external drive.
6. Windows XP Pro SP1
7. The only information I really care about is the "Disabled" key (unchecked songs that I don't want auto-synching with my iPod).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Chubasco
I've also been unsuccessful in moving my library to an external harddrive and am about to give up all hope.
Oddly, I gave up too, and, on the off chance it might work, I just imported the library file withouth any changes... and it seemed to work - I have absolutely no clue at all how it worked... but I just thought I'd try it. The only other thing that I had set up that may or may not have affected it is that I had the music folder in iTunes set as the correct final folder.

I have absolutely no idea how I did this or if it'll work for anyone else.

Cheers
Vicky
Old 02-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by vickyp
Oddly, I gave up too, and, on the off chance it might work, I just imported the library file withouth any changes... and it seemed to work - I have absolutely no clue at all how it worked... but I just thought I'd try it. The only other thing that I had set up that may or may not have affected it is that I had the music folder in iTunes set as the correct final folder.

I have absolutely no idea how I did this or if it'll work for anyone else.

Cheers
Vicky
I can import the unmodified XML too, however, it doesn't do me any good since it still points to the original location. So, solely as a backup solution it seems to work, but it still doesn't work as library-move option.

Vicky, did it work for you to move your library to a different location?
Old 02-27-2005, 12:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

I couldn't move it because the W2K installation no longer worked... I'm wondering if there's something else that is getting messed up with the global search and replace... is it worth trying to change a couple manually to see what happens?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Junior Lounger

Along the same lines, do the songs have to be on your hard drive once added to the library? For example, can I add my 40GB library and then back it all up to DVD, erase the library from my hard drive, and still have the files synch up and play with my iPod as if there was no change?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

I doubt you could sync to the DVDs but I don't see why you couldn't backup and restore from DVDs as long as you didn't open iTunes in the middle. Not too sure what you mean.

Topic: How to Relocate your iTunes Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.