Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Automatically get Cover Art

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-05-2004, 01:51 AM

Power Lounger

Automatically get Cover Art

Program now released to do this! Scroll down a bit and read post for more info... get it here
http://www.ipodsoft.com/index.php?/software/iart

---old post---
Hey.

I was wondering how many people would be interested in a program that would *attempt* to get the cover image for songs in their iTunes library.

I would like suggestions on:

where to get art from > I'm thinking amazon or allmusic.com
any other specific features.

and whether anyone would like to help. I would program in VB6...

So basically, show your interest in the application here, and if people actually like the idea, then I will code it

iPod 3g 20Gb, got it on 10th Feb 2004
iPod 5g 30GB, got it on 4th Nov 2005

Linkin Park

Last edited by honeybee1236; 04-17-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM

Dream Digital

Currently there are very few (if any) windows programs that does this so if u can pull it off, quite a few people would be interested.

Are you thinking of making an iTunes plugin or a totally separate program?

If an iTunes plugin then, you could select a number of songs, then click a button and the plugin would search for the cover art pics, download them, then insert each into the selected songs. There should be an info screen that shows how many songs have been successfully had covert art added to and how many failed (and why).

If its a separate program then its prolly not possible to automatically add the cover art to the songs right? So instead, the user could specify a folder containing the songs files and the program would download the cover pics to a specified location. Its then up to the user to insert those pics into their songs as cover art.

You might want to check some similar programs available for the Mac. Would give you a few ideas.

Amazon.com is a better place to find cover art I believe - bigger selection and better quality images. But u could use multiple sites in the search with priority given to one site.

think different, change expectations, dream digital -- Me
a boy's will is the wind's will, and the thoughts of youth are long long thoughts -- Longfellow
Old 05-05-2004, 08:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

For Windows:

http://www.jeb9072.f2s.com/AmazonImage-1.0.3-Uber.zip

Based on Perl source found here:

http://www.victorland.com/slimp3/

Populates a file 'folder.jpg' in each directory, based on the tags of the files in that directory.

Works pretty well - I only have a few albums that this hasn't been able to find. The app isn't written with iTunes in mind, so you still have to manually drag and drop to iTunes.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:17 PM

Power Lounger

I would work on a program that would access the iTunes DB [which I know how] so that no drag and drop etc needed. I would probably start with amazon only, but would add support for adding modules to support other sites.

Linkin Park
Old 05-06-2004, 04:30 AM

Power Lounger

A little update:
I have just spent a while coding a way to actually get album art, and after learning Amazon's interface, and learning VB's XML stripping capabilities, I have finally gotten somewhere!

I have been able to get the album art by artist and album name. It searches amazon, and matches up the album with amazon's product name. And... it actually works! So in a few days, expect to see betas of being able to get album art for songs very easily!

Linkin Park
Old 05-06-2004, 09:20 AM

Junior Lounger

Sounds sweet to me!

John Wilker
16gb iNewton, no music on it at all.
40GB iPod photo, 22gb used
blog
Old 05-07-2004, 10:18 AM

Power Lounger

Hey guys

I am almost done! I am actually using the program right now to download art for all my music. It takes about 10 minutes altogether I think, coz it's almost done, and it's been about 5 to 10 mins. It searches Amazon, and downloads everything automatically.

Right now, before completion, there is one thing to fix. The program appears frozen while downloading. There is no refreshign of window etc. I am working on multithreading or something to download etc while interface still works. Once this is done, I can release it tomorrow, and I know the program works, coz i'm using it, and it works pretty well, as long as your tags are clean.

The artist tag should be very good as it's the most important, followed be either album/song name. Tries album first, but if there is no album with that name, or there is no album tag, then it searches for which album has the track name etc..

So hopefully by tomorrow, you can have all your music get any missing artwork like me!

Linkin Park
Old 05-07-2004, 02:52 PM

is not cool

That sounds really great. I would like to help with some testing.

First of all Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi." Two, you always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it." Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?" Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice." And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Senior Lounger

I could carry out a rather thourough test as i've not got any album art in iTunes yet which means i've got art to get for around 11Gb of songs.

3G 20Gb iPod - iSkin EVO, Sonic Blue
Still Staring at it!
My Blog
Old 05-08-2004, 07:31 AM

Power Lounger

Hey guys

A [beta] version of the album art adder is available! I have tested this with my library and it doesn't have any problems, and works very well with properly tagged libraries.

You need iTunes 4.5 to use this. VB runtimes are required, but if you can install iTunes, then you already have them...

Here are a few suggestions : Make a new playlist, and put a few albums to test into this. Now run the program, select this new playlist, and see the results.

Get it here: [Right click link, save target as]
http://www.geocities.com/iliveherealone/iTunesCover.zip

If it doesn't work, email me, and ask for a copy, and I will email you back with one. Any problems/suggestions can also be emailed to me. My email is:
prashant_is_here@msn.com

The people who want to help test, please download and post results of testing here. Right now, only Amazon album download is available but I might add more if people are interested in app, and amazon doesn't have enough covers etc...

Enjoy

Remember, I'm not responsible for anything that happens etc..
And also, iTunes is copyright of Apple. I don't own any of that stuff etc.

Linkin Park

Last edited by EvilDude; 05-08-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:52 AM

Senior Lounger

Just ran the program/plugin and tested it on a selected list of songs. The program appears to crash at random points (it could have downloaded lots of art or no art). Also, following the crash, iTunes warns that something is still using the iTunes scripting interface.

Other than that, the interface is very intuitive and easy to use.

Win XP - Fully updated
iTunes - 4.5.0.31

(let me know if you would like the errors/screenshots sending/posting here)
Old 05-08-2004, 07:58 AM

Power Lounger

wow, quick reply. thanks for telling me this. this *could* be the multithreading. I will disable multithreading for this version actually. Can you redownload, from same site, and tell me if it still crashes (it will apear to hang in this version as no threading is used)

Linkin Park
Old 05-08-2004, 08:05 AM

Senior Lounger

The latest version work for me although, as you said, it does appear to hang.

Great Program!

Still Staring at it!
My Blog
Old 05-08-2004, 08:08 AM

Power Lounger

Thanks...glad it works
well I'll try to implement another "multithreading" solution without actually using multithreading as the hang look isn't the best solution, and random crashing isn't much better.

Linkin Park
Old 05-08-2004, 08:46 AM

Senior Lounger

SUGGESTIONS

Just a quick suggestion:- you may want to ignore words such as 'the' and 'from' when searching the amazon database as they don't always include them in the artist/song name. For example, the band called 'The Hives' have an album called 'Your New Favourite Band' but it is indexed as 'hives' 'Your New Favourite Band'. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...634330-7975663).

PROBLEMS

During the complete test of my songs ~11Gb, the list showing the cuurrent album froze about 4/5 of the way though the task, even though it continued to download the art.

*updated*

Still Staring at it!
My Blog

Last edited by mikePod; 05-08-2004 at 09:14 AM.

Topic: Automatically get Cover Art

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.