Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes won't burn a cd

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-03-2004, 01:14 AM
#1
 
slease
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
iTunes won't burn a cd

I'm using iTunes for Windows 4.5 and I can't burn any cd's in the program. It will start burning and then immediately say cancelling burn and give me an error (4000) unknown error message. This happens when I burn audio cd's, purchased or imported and also data cds.

I would happily use nero to burn my playlists but nero won't burn protected AAC files? Is there any other program I can use to let me burn my downloaded music? For 99 cents a song I'd like to get the most out of them. Also, anyone know what could be wrong with my burner? It's an HP dvd200i with completely updated drivers.
 
Reply With Quote

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:49 PM
#2
 
slease
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

any ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:55 PM
#3
 
Reductio Ad Absurdum
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 706

This is straight from apple support web site:

Some CD-RW drives may not work with iTunes. To see if iTunes works with a drive, choose Edit > Preferences, then click the Burning tab. If your drive is listed, it will work with iTunes. If you don't see your device listed in the Burning pane of iTunes preferences, it may not be a supported drive or the correct drivers may not be installed. To install the appropriate drivers, reinstall iTunes.

you can go here.



mdobilas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:29 AM
#4
 
slease
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

It's listed and like I said it will start the burning and stop after a few seconds with an error. I'm going to try reinstalling iTunes though because I didn't have this problem with the last version.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:00 PM
#5
 
Junior Lounger
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 59

I started having problems since I upgraded to iTunes 4.5. I get "Cannot be read. An unknown error occured (-50)." grrrrrr...



ordered silver from Amazon: 6/14/04
Received: 9/8/04
mobert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
#6
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2

I have the same problem <Unknown Error 4000> when I try to burn a CD. It doesn't matter what type of file it is - AAC or MP3. I'm using a Sony 500A internal drive with the updated drivers. Anyone have a solution on this one???
meinhard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:31 PM
#7
 
Reductio Ad Absurdum
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 706

have you tried going to the web site of your cd burner and seeing if there is a newer driver?



mdobilas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:45 PM
#8
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 2

I've tried everything you guys have listed here, but I'm beginning to lose my mind because of blasted iTunes 4.5. I've reinstalled, checked to see if my CD-R is compatible...everything should work, but it doesn't. All I get is this error:
"The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4450)."

At first, I thought that maybe I'd been using an already-written-on CD-R, but Windows XP recognises it as a blank disc. This wouldn't be so bad, were it not for the fact that since I've installed iTunes 4.5, I can't use ANY of the other burning software I have on my PC. At all. Ahead Nero doesn't work, neither does Windows Media, or Roxio. And it was all good about a week ago, before I installed the new iTunes.

MY CD-RW drive is an internal (laptop) Mat####a UJDA330. I can't find updated drivers for it from anywhere, but by the same token, it was working fine with the previoud version of iTunes. And even when I uninstalled the program, I STILL can't burn anything. It's like I've been cursed!

About 20 useless CDs later, I'm totally ready to rip someone a new orifice. Any help or suggestions at all would be appreciated.
Sinner_Central is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:48 PM
#9
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 2

Oh. The CD-RW drive I have is a M a t s h i t a UJDA330. Apparently my posting looked as though I was referring to fecal matter, so it wouldn't display right.
Sinner_Central is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
#10
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maine
Posts: 7

i have the SAME problem, but it's worse cuz just last night 4.5 was burning fine, and all of a sudden, BAM 2 hours later i can't burn a thing! Gah! I'm using Windows 2000. Any help?!
Urban Yeti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 PM
#11
 
ipoderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC/ATL
Posts: 381

was there a solution to this problem??



my ipod touch is AWESOME!!
fondoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:14 PM
#12
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1

I had this same problem. It kept saying unknown error (4000). I went into preferences and slowed down the burning speed all the way to 1x. It takes longer, but its actually burning now. It hasn't burned all the way yet, so I haven't been able to listen to it to make sure it works, but before I changed the speed I never got this far.
TheOnlyTime69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
#13
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyTime69
I had this same problem. It kept saying unknown error (4000). I went into preferences and slowed down the burning speed all the way to 1x. It takes longer, but its actually burning now. It hasn't burned all the way yet, so I haven't been able to listen to it to make sure it works, but before I changed the speed I never got this far.
I was wondering if this completely worked for you. I tried that but it didn;t work for me. I am at a loss on what to do next. Any thoughts?
Thanx...
Paul
Bubba171811 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
#14
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slease
I'm using iTunes for Windows 4.5 and I can't burn any cd's in the program. It will start burning and then immediately say cancelling burn and give me an error (4000) unknown error message. This happens when I burn audio cd's, purchased or imported and also data cds.

I would happily use nero to burn my playlists but nero won't burn protected AAC files? Is there any other program I can use to let me burn my downloaded music? For 99 cents a song I'd like to get the most out of them. Also, anyone know what could be wrong with my burner? It's an HP dvd200i with completely updated drivers.
Hey Slease, did you ever get a resolution on this problem. I am having the same issue now after upgrading to Itunes 7.7. I have tried everything written in this thread and still can not fix it. Any thoughts?
Thanx...
Paul
Bubba171811 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
#15
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner_Central
I've tried everything you guys have listed here, but I'm beginning to lose my mind because of blasted iTunes 4.5. I've reinstalled, checked to see if my CD-R is compatible...everything should work, but it doesn't. All I get is this error:
"The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4450)."

At first, I thought that maybe I'd been using an already-written-on CD-R, but Windows XP recognises it as a blank disc. This wouldn't be so bad, were it not for the fact that since I've installed iTunes 4.5, I can't use ANY of the other burning software I have on my PC. At all. Ahead Nero doesn't work, neither does Windows Media, or Roxio. And it was all good about a week ago, before I installed the new iTunes.

MY CD-RW drive is an internal (laptop) Mat####a UJDA330. I can't find updated drivers for it from anywhere, but by the same token, it was working fine with the previoud version of iTunes. And even when I uninstalled the program, I STILL can't burn anything. It's like I've been cursed!

About 20 useless CDs later, I'm totally ready to rip someone a new orifice. Any help or suggestions at all would be appreciated.
Did this ever get resolved for you? I am suffering the same frustration, (my error is the same, except for 4000 instead of 4450) only with the new Itunes 7.7. Never had it before....
Thanx,
Paul
Bubba171811 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Topic: iTunes won't burn a cd

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





View iLounge History. Read our old Forums Archive (2001-2003)
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Shop for Accessories: Cases, speakers, chargers, etc.