Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes Freezes During Download

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-19-2004, 08:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes Freezes During Download

Please Help!

When I try to download a song on iTunes, the download freezes and I sit there forever waiting for it. The progress bar for the download never starts, it just sits there with the hatched "thinking" bar. Sometimes it says its "downloading...", other times it says its "accessing the music store". I left it to do its thing for one hour last night and never got the song I bought. In order to stop it, I have to hit the x button to stop the download, then use XP to force iTunes closed. Then I have to reboot the machine to get my internet connection to come back.

After I reboot, I've tried using the "Check for Purchased Music". It looks on my PC and sees I never got my song and tries to download it again. And again I have the same problem - frozen, lost connection, reboot.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, but that didn't help.

Here are a few specifics:

Running Windows XP w/ iTunes v4.2 on a one-month old Dell desktop. The songs I've tried to download lately (that have caused problems) have been free through the Pepsi promotion. I have a cable modem broadband connection, which I have tested with other downloads, that seems to be working at nortmal performance.

Can anyone please help me with this? Anyone with the same problem?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:37 PM

Senior Lounger

1)If you are on dialup (ONLY dialup) and your ISP has "web acceleration" software (such as Net Zero, ect) turn it off.

2)Do you have any McAfee products on your system (most esp. "Privacy Service")? Try disabling them one by one (anti virus last). Still no go, try uninstalling them.

3)Popup blockers. Turn them off.

4)Firewalls? Try disabling them to see if that is the problem. ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93434 ).

5)If you have a proxy that requires authentication (password) you will be unable to access the store.

6)Set the date/time & time zone correctly on your system.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks MacMuse26, it worked perfectly. It must've been my McAffee Privacy Service.

Great job...

Topic: iTunes Freezes During Download

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.