iTunes loses an album - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes loses an album

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Junior Lounger

iTunes loses an album

This has happened before. My iTunes library is made up of downloaded albums as well as CD's I have purchased and imported. Every so often, one of those CD's will disappear from the library. Any clues ?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:13 PM

This could happen if the album was selected and someone pressed the delete key.

Unless the album is there with an exclamation point ! next to it, that means someone moved the song or album with Windows Explorer.

iTunes does not delete files.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-24-2018, 07:04 PM

Junior Lounger

I have never deleted any music from my iTunes library - I never do anything via Albums, it is very strange.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:01 PM

Are the songs missing? Or do they have the ! next to them.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 PM

Junior Lounger

album/songs completely missing inc their folder on the hard drive.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM

This sounds more like a hard drive issue. Are you getting errors about hardware problems with your hard drive in the event log?

Here is an old thread that I discussed this: missing songs on Itunes latest version

Old 09-25-2018, 07:26 PM

Junior Lounger

No Disk errors - My choices appear to be spend a day digging around under the house to see whether I can find the old CD .........or purchase the bloody thing via Mr Apple
Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Or restore from a backup.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Or restore from a backup.
For most people it's "would that there were one". Your advice in every post is sage.

After some scares with RAID crashes in the past, I now back everything up using software that does an initial complete backup followed by daily backups of anything that has changed. Had a little scare yesterday when I thought that I may have lost my portable hard drive at a hotel in Sacramento. (I keep all of my music files and MediaMonkey on it using a portable installation so that I can listen to anything I want via my laptop when traveling.) I worried a lot less knowing that a full and up to date backup was waiting at home if needed.

The newer, cheaper high-capacity hard drives (particularly Seagate) seem much less reliable that the ones of a decade ago. I have twenty year old drives that still work fine, but have had three new Seagates fail in the past two years, none older than three months. Back up everything you care about! (And don't trust RAID, IMO.)

Topic: iTunes loses an album

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.