iTunes Library.itl broken. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes Library.itl broken.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes Library.itl broken.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

My iTunes library.itl is broken. All of my music files are stored on a NAS drive and the only way i can think of to access them through iTunes would be to install a new library and add files manually. I have 3000+ albums and as this would all have to be done over WIFI this would probably take the rest of my life, surely theres an easier way?

MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) and WD MyBookLive 2TB NAS.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 PM

The easiest recovery is to restore a backup of the ITL file.

The second easiest way is to connect the NAS to your Mac via USB.
- Disconnect the NAS drive from the MAC to prevent confusion (may be easier to just turn off WiFi)
- make sure your settings for iTunes has Copy files to Media Folder turned OFF
- Connect the NAS to the Mac via USB
- Hold the Option key and start iTunes
- Click on Create New Library
- In iTunes, choose File > Add to Library, locate folder (the top folder of your music files on the NAS), then click Open.
- Wait for the folders to be parsed and the ITL file to be built
- Close iTunes
- Disconnect the NAS from the MAC via USB
- Connect the NAS to the MAC over WiFi
- Open iTunes
- Play a song that you know where it is on the NAS, it will say it can't find the song and offer to Locate it.
- Click the Locate button
- Use the Open window to navigate to the song on the NAS, find the song and click Open
- iTunes may ask if you want to reconnect all files using this path, say YES and wait.
- The song should play.

If you use the Mac to add new music to the NAS, you should Edit Preferences, go to the Advanced Tab
Set the iTunes Media folder location to the NAS drive top folder where the music is stored.
Set Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library ON
You may also want to set Keep iTunes Media folder organized ON if you use the iTunes organization scheme and not your own.

You should also make a backup of that ITL file and believe it or not, the NAS too.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: iTunes Library.itl broken.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.