using 2 HDD for Itunes library help/advice on Windows 10 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: using 2 HDD for Itunes library help/advice on Windows 10

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

using 2 HDD for Itunes library help/advice on Windows 10

Hi- I am needing to use 2 HDD for my iTunes library as I have lost my existing NAS drive option
I am going to be uising 2 x 8TB drives- 1 for Movies and one for Music/TV Shows- its a Windows 10 machine.
I cannot replace the NAS due to no space after a rejig of my office and only have the room for my main pc

Is there a simple way to do this so I will be able to load all at the same time and see it on Home Sharing on my ipad Pro

Many thanks
Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 PM

If you can make the drive appear as 1 drive then yes that will work.

My suggestion (though untested) is you may be able to use a symbolic link to make a folder from one drive point to a folder on another drive. For example, if you had a large amount of Movies in your library, you could have the Movies on the second drive and create a link from the first drive to the second drive.

Second drive is installed with a permanent drive letter M and has a Movies folder, organized like you want or by iTunes standards.
First drive you go to where the Movies folder would reside (Typically iTunes\iTunes Media) and you would create a link to the second drive mklink /j Movies M:\Movies

Now the first drive looks like it has the Movies folder, but the data is actually stored on the second drive.
I have not tested this, so I am not 100% positive that iTunes will recognize it, but it should. I may be able to try an experiment at home this weekend.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 08-24-2018, 05:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply- would be very interesting to see if that could work
Old 08-25-2018, 12:59 PM

Yes that works. I moved 1 artist folder from my E to C drive to test.

Used the mklink command from a command prompt and iTunes sees the folder as if it were on that drive.

That should allow you to use 2 drives by hosting 1 or more large folders on the second drive.

The only downside is that a backup of the first drive MIGHT get all the data from the second drive instead of the link, making a restore difficult. I can't test that because I don't have your software for backups.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: using 2 HDD for Itunes library help/advice on Windows 10

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.