Smart playlist orphaned files - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Smart playlist orphaned files

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Junior Lounger

On the TV app mine are Downloaded -> Films. Also when I say movies I really mean films, it's just films isn't normally a word I use.

I haven't changed any tagging or other metainfo on any of the files or items in the iTunes library.

The sizes can vary, these are all films purchased through iTunes and they are all HD.

I'm running iOS 11.4.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:11 PM

I must have something to do with purchased files. Mine are not purchased. I don't buy movies from Apple.

They must be retained for efficiency or something. I have seen similar behavior with music played while connected with Wifi and I don't have the songs downloaded.

Does removing the playlist from your phone, sync, re-add and sync work?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 AM

Junior Lounger

I believe that removing the playlist from the sync leaves all the films on my phone but I'll check that later when I'm back from work.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM

Junior Lounger

Sorry I haven't managed to try this yet, I've had a couple of late nights at work. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have done it.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM

Junior Lounger

Smart playlist orphaned files

I tried changing the playlist from 5 films to 3 then unselecting it from sync. After clicking Apply then Sync all 5 films are still on my phone.
Interestingly, the On My Device film section is empty but Settings -> General -> Storage shows all 5 films on the phone.

Last edited by paulschofield76; 06-27-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 AM

I got your original post stating that the anti-virus removal made the playlists update properly. Which is a good sign.

As for the videos remaining on the phone, I have the same behavior! But I am willing to bet this is the multi-sync problem again. If you sync a second time do they go away? I am syncing as I type to see what happens. In my case the copy of these videos have been deleted from iTunes and my hard drive. They are not purchased, and the copies were duplicates of a full length movie.

Yes the second sync cleared them off the phone. Interestingly enough the storage amount didn't change between the first and second sync. Implying that the data was already removed, just some of the listings of the data were not removed.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Junior Lounger

I edited the original post as I was only checking the On My Device under Films. That said there were no films on my phone but the iPhone Storage in Settings and the Downloaded area of the TV app said all 5 were still there.

I'll try syncing twice tonight to see if it works although I'm sure I've tried that before.

I'm honestly thinking that maybe I should delete all downloads from my iPhone and Mac and just stream. That would probably solve this and my other problem of duplicated items.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:01 PM

Junior Lounger

Confirmed unfortunately. I unselected all film syncing and hit sync 3 times and the films are still on my phone.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:16 AM

And you have no other references to the films? A second playlist of recently added movies? Or a recently added that does not filter out movies?

There has to be a reason for them to remain.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM

Junior Lounger

Nothing. In fact I switched off all syncing of everything using the main option at the top of each section (music, films etc.) and synced twice. They were still there.

I think iTunes is having problems with identifying what's in my library and what files they match to given that I constantly get duplications where one is downloaded and the other isn't.

I've deleted all downloads from my phone and laptop. I'll start again and see if that helps.

Topic: Smart playlist orphaned files

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.