Annoying Artwork Issue - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Annoying Artwork Issue

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 PM

Junior Lounger

Annoying Artwork Issue

iTunes version: 12.7.3.46

Issue: I'm very particular about my artwork and I always try to find 500x500 pictures of album covers to use/embed into the file as the artwork to albums. A weird issue happens whenever I am trying to copy directly from a Google image search. It seems like, when I paste the image into the album artwork section, the entire image is moved slightly to the right and repeated on the left. It results in a crappy image that does not look right. To better illustrate what I am talking about, please see this screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/eNG6vFj.png

My process:

1. Search for the image on Google
2. Once found, right click on the image and select copy
3. Go to the artwork section in iTunes and paste the image
4. Receive results as seen in screenshot

This has happened with EVERY and ANY image file copied from Google Images, so the issue is not inherent to this one situation.

It's been happening for the past couple of versions of iTunes and I have just dealt with it by pasting the image into a photo editor like Photoshop, saving the file, and then dragging the file into the artwork section in iTunes. A couple of extra steps, no big deal, but just annoying enough. I wanted to ask someone in the forum here to hopefully see if there's a solution to this "bug" and I can go back to directly copying from Google Images vs. editing photos in a photo editor.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Until recently Google had the View Image button on the Image search result. And when that button existed, Google was showing you a reduced version of the image and you had to click the View Image button to get the full sized image.

Google was compressing the results to speed up the search process and it also reduces bandwidth. I suspect that you had been getting the compressed version of the images you were searching for.

You might be able to check the size of these images by selecting one in Song Info and then Type Ctrl-C to copy it, then paste it into paint (make sure the white area under it is the same size as the picture, not overlapping) and then try to resize the picture by pixels and you should see the size of the picture. I am willing to bet it is not 500x500.

Google no longer compresses the results now. So you should be able to right click on the image and Save it as a file, the import the picture into the album or track. The new picture should not have that issue.

You can also check the information on the picture after you save it in the Windows Explorer details to see that it is the size you expect. If you see that it is smaller than you expect, then click on the Visit Site button, and that will take you to the page where the image was found. Right click the image and save it as a file and you will have the full size image.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Junior Lounger

I was trying to find a way around saving the image and then dragging the image as the artwork because that's "a lot of extra steps" instead of just being able to right click on the photo, select copy, and then paste it into the album artwork area.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM

iTunes removed that capability a few years back. I have been forced to use the save and import method like you, not happily I might add.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Annoying Artwork Issue

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.