iTunes won't sync with iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

rn99Anchor

I have an ipod classic 160gb and was trying to sync it with iTunes to add some music I recently purchased through iTunes. It does the initial sync, but when I try to add the music, it gives me a warning that reads: "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies and TV shows from this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?
Music, movies and TV shows synced to this iPod from other iTunes libraries will be removed and items will be synced from this iTunes library."

It then gives me the option to "remove and sync" or "cancel."
What confuses me is I have never synced any other library to this iPod except the one I'm trying to sync now. I got a new computer in June and synced my library to my iPod then without any problem.

That message concerned me so I hit "cancel." Was hoping to get some insight into what I should do, or why I would be getting this warning. I don't believe I've added anything to my library since that June sync, other than two albums I just purchased on iTunes that I'm trying to add to my ipod.

cjmnews

Staff member
The insight is, that the iTunes you are syncing with is not the original iTunes you used to sync initially. In June when you got the new computer, you did not copy the iTunes folder from the old computer to the new computer. Meaning the iTunes Library file is now different than the original library.

Since the iTunes Library file is different than the original, so the iPod is forced to be erased and synced with the new library if you are going to make changes to it.

So, you are going to have to either:
- Recover your original library file (iTunes Library.itl) from the old computer and put it on the new computer, then make all the changes you made since June again on the new computer (playlist changes, add purchased songs again, add imported songs again, etc).
- Erase the iPod and Sync with the new library. If there are songs on the iPod that are not in iTunes they will be lost.

I can walk you through the making the changes since June if you want. The impact of this is your purchased playlist may be out of sync with the iTunes Store. I can also walk you through the steps of trying to recover music from your iPod.

It's your choice.

rn99Anchor

I'm not sure why this message didn't come up when I last synced this in June.
How do I get the old iTunes library from the old computer to the new computer?

cjmnews

Staff member
My guess is that you synced with the old computer not the new one.

Typically you would copy the iTunes folder from the Music directory of the old computer to the new one.

In your case, you want to back up your current (new computer) file named: iTunes Library.itl somewhere safe.
You should also note all the new songs added since June. Take a screen shot, make a list.

Then copy the file iTunes Library.itl from the old computer Music\iTunes folder to the new computer Music\iTunes .
Open iTunes.
Play a track from iTunes.
If it plays you are good.
If it asks you to locate the song, you'll have to use the Locate button and navigate to the file:
Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<song>.<ext>
If you have an old library, then the location may be slightly different: Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<song>.<ext>
When it asks if this is the path for all your music say yes.

Using your list of songs added, use the iTunes command File->Add File to Library to locate the new songs. They should be located in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<song>.<ext>
Repeat for all tracks that were added.

Now you should be able to sync without erasing and see all your music.

rn99Anchor

I thought I already did that, and I know for certain I synced iTunes in June to the new computer.
I'm leaning towards erasing the iPod and syncing new library, but I know some of the songs couldn't be located for some reason.
What is the process for recovering those missing songs from my iPod?
That might work easier for me, because the two albums I recently purchased are on the only new songs I've added since getting the new computer.

cjmnews

Staff member
I found the post where I suggested the migration: http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-related-mac-pc-applications/282729-moving-new-computer.html

And I see some bad advice while I was on vacation on missing songs: http://forums.ilounge.com/itunes-related-mac-pc-applications/282750-ipod-songs-missing-locations.html

As for the migration process, it has been documented before: Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article The steps are to copy the files from the iPod_Control directory to a temp directory on your PC, then import into a new iTunes library. The song information should be inside each file so you should not have to update the tags on all of them. Then you close the old library, open the original library, drag the missing tracks from windows explorer and drop onto iTunes to re-add them.

rn99Anchor

I haven't had time to deal with this the last few weeks, but would like to get it settled.
I'm not really interested in doing a lot of the computer related stuff to get the original library back. What I would like to do is figure out which songs my library can't locate on my computer, so I at least know which songs would be lost if I erase and sync my ipod to the "new" library. Is there a way to find out which songs are missing, without literally clicking on every single song? I know 19 of them, and I believe the total is 35, but I can't figure out how to see a list of those, or maybe there isn't a way.

cjmnews

Staff member
You can do this.

First create a normal Playlist using iTunes and name it Good.
Click on the Music section of your iTunes in Song view. Select all songs, and drag and drop onto Good.

Now use File->New Smart Playlist to make a Bad smart playlist.
The rules are: Match music for ALL rules, Playlist is Music and Playlist is NOT Good, Live updating on. Name the playlist Bad.

The tracks in this playlist are the missing tracks.

rn99Anchor

Thanks for your help, that worked. Not sure why those songs are missing, but at least I know which ones.

cjmnews

Staff member
Usually that the song was moved or renamed with Windows Explorer. Less usual is the hard drive is dying.