Itunes - PC - four letter file names - where to edit?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

billinvegas

Hi,
for a long time, I haven't used my pod.
got a car that has ipod control, so I thought I'd dig it out.
Installed itunes, got the files from the ipod to the computer.

Some of the files are now four letters, and they are also this way on the ipod
(i'm assuming ti synchronized it)

Where is the proper place to edit the file(s)? On the ipod view in itunes, or in the library view on itunes?

thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
I assume that you put the songs into iTunes and that is why you say "Some of the files are now four letters" instead of All of them.

As you saw on the iPod all the songs are 4 letters and the extension. When you put these tracks into iTunes, iTunes will read the track information out of the song file and rename the song to the song name, and it you have iTunes managing your database, it will move the song into folders based on the Artist and Album.

The songs that don't get renamed from the 4 letters are usually MP3 songs that did not get their song information written to the file. This is due to a flaw in iTunes that has been there at least 10 years.

The best place to fix it is in iTunes. Select each track, play it until you recognize it, then right click and choose Song Info. A new window will appear where you can set the song name, artist and album as well as other information and the album artwork. Click OK to save that information into the iTunes database. Repeat for each 4 letter song.

Once you are done with editing all the 4 letter songs, you can select all the MP3 tracks in your library and use File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags
- Choose version 2.3
- Wait for iTunes to write the Get Info information into the MP3 files

Now your songs have the information inside of them and if you have to recover this way again, then you will have no 4 letter songs after importing them into iTunes.

Sync your iPod (yes you will have to erase and sync with this library, since you don't have the original)

billinvegas

Thanks!

Trying this now!

I assume that you put the songs into iTunes and that is why you say "Some of the files are now four letters" instead of All of them.

As you saw on the iPod all the songs are 4 letters and the extension. When you put these tracks into iTunes, iTunes will read the track information out of the song file and rename the song to the song name, and it you have iTunes managing your database, it will move the song into folders based on the Artist and Album.

The songs that don't get renamed from the 4 letters are usually MP3 songs that did not get their song information written to the file. This is due to a flaw in iTunes that has been there at least 10 years.

The best place to fix it is in iTunes. Select each track, play it until you recognize it, then right click and choose Song Info. A new window will appear where you can set the song name, artist and album as well as other information and the album artwork. Click OK to save that information into the iTunes database. Repeat for each 4 letter song.

Once you are done with editing all the 4 letter songs, you can select all the MP3 tracks in your library and use File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags
- Choose version 2.3
- Wait for iTunes to write the Get Info information into the MP3 files

Now your songs have the information inside of them and if you have to recover this way again, then you will have no 4 letter songs after importing them into iTunes.

Sync your iPod (yes you will have to erase and sync with this library, since you don't have the original)