iTunes curser slow - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes curser slow

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes curser slow

Since the recent update to iTunes my cursor which i use to move up and down the library has become stuttery and slow to move. Any ideas why and how i can fix it?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 AM

The cursor seems to be the same speed as before to me. What are you doing to see the stutter in the cursor?

Have you checked your system for malware that is using your computer's power for some other purpose (bitcoin mining, ads, etc.)

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
The cursor seems to be the same speed as before to me. What are you doing to see the stutter in the cursor?

Have you checked your system for malware that is using your computer's power for some other purpose (bitcoin mining, ads, etc.)
There are no spyware/virus' on my laptop, checked everything to make sure. When you try and move the cursor, right hand side of iTunes, with the track pad it sticks then jumps then sticks again. Can take several minutes to move from top to bottom especially as i've over 1000 albums on iTunes.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM

The library size you imply is huge and iTunes does not handle it well.

You should turn off the iTunes XML file.
Edit->Preferences
Advanced
Uncheck Share iTunes Library XML with other applications
Click OK

See if that helps.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
The library size you imply is huge and iTunes does not handle it well.

You should turn off the iTunes XML file.
Edit->Preferences
Advanced
Uncheck Share iTunes Library XML with other applications
Click OK

See if that helps.
Hi cjmnews,
Never heard before that itunes can't take that big a library, as i said it's only started happeneing since the last update.
What exactly dose's the XML file do and why would it affect the cursor?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM

There are many threads here with people that have large libraries struggling to use iTunes.
Slow iTunes with Large Library - Solution
Large Library Problems With iTunes
Best way to manage really LARGE music Library?
Advice with managing Large (45,000+ songs) music Library
itunes very slow or not responding

The XML file is used to share the library information with other applications (Plex Server for example).
The XML file seems to be updated all the time that iTunes is in use, so that is why we say, turn it off if you don't need it, especially for large libraries.

I really don't think it will help all that much.

Where is your library located? NAS will cause poor performance. Bad hard drives will too. As will slow USB connections.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

From reading the various threads on "Big Library's" most people seem to move over to MediaMonkey. If i did would i just import my existing library and would i still be able to use my iPod with it?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:07 PM

I have no idea. You may want to PM sallenmd or start a new thread on slow iTunes with large libraries and hope they respond.

I haven't tried the alternatives to iTunes, because I love the smart playlists.

Topic: iTunes curser slow

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.