iTunes 12.7 released - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes 12.7 released

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM

iTunes 12.7 released

The notes they had on it were confusing with regard to apps, books and ringtones.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208075

iTunes has moved iTunes U content (classes and lectures) into the Podcasts area, which seems logical.

Then they assume that all devices will upgrade to iOS 11 (which not all can) and you'll be able to use a feature in iOS 11 to re-download books, and ringtones. They also refer us to the store to re-download apps as well.

They also removed apps, ringtones and books (not audio books) from iTunes.
Telling users to use Manual Management to sync these items to your iOS devices if you still need to sync them. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

This makes things a bit trickier for users because if they want to auto-sync music while having the ability to add ringtones or books from the PC, they will need to drag the playlists they want to sync as well as these items no longer supported by iTunes.

Manual management also breaks all smart playlist updates! That is if you have a smart playlist on your phone that is in iTunes, and the contents change on either side, the changes are not replicated to the other side. Meaning all the automatically updating smart playlists that used to sync between the iPhone and iTunes are broken. Not a good trade off.

If you wanted to use auto sync, the management of Ringtones that you make yourself needs to change. Rename the extension from .m4r to .m4a, reload them into iTunes and put them into a playlist of ringtones, and sync that with the automatic sync process to allow smart playlists to work and be able to manage your ringtones. This will mean that you'll need to change all your ringtone settings to use the new "songs" that are actually ringtones.

Since iTunes 12.7 removes apps support, the ability to upload files to apps has moved to the File Sharing section under your Device. Select the all and add or save a file as needed. Just like before but in a slightly different location.

The removal of app support in iTunes also removes the apps from being copied to your computer on sync. Even a forced Transfer Purchases from Device does not copy it down. So if you liked an old version of an application and refused the update, a restore will force you to move to the newer version of the application since there is no copy of the old version to be installed.

The removal of app support in iTunes makes it so I can't help install, uninstall apps on remote iPhones of less technical users remotely.

Don't forget if you don't have a copy of the app, book, or ringtone that you purchased on your computer's drive, and Apple no longer has it in the store, you can't get it again. I think this is wrong. Apple needs to retain a copy of everything sold to allow it to be re-downloaded by users.

The Restore process now downloads the apps from the store instead of loading them from your computer. If you changed your email address on your Apple ID, the restore process requests the old email address and password repeatedly, and you have to use your current email address and password each time it prompts. I did get 1 older app back, but it was not an app that had a newer revision.

12.7 is an attempt to de-bloat iTunes. Though doing it in a strange way. Even the iTunes store has changed to not show you apps, books or ringtones on the computer.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
The removal of app support in iTunes makes it so I can't help install, uninstall apps on remote iPhones of less technical users remotely.

Don't forget if you don't have a copy of the app, book, or ringtone that you purchased on your computer's drive, and Apple no longer has it in the store, you can't get it again. I think this is wrong. Apple needs to retain a copy of everything sold to allow it to be re-downloaded by users.

The Restore process now downloads the apps from the store instead of loading them from your computer. If you changed your email address on your Apple ID, the restore process requests the old email address and password repeatedly, and you have to use your current email address and password each time it prompts. I did get 1 older app back, but it was not an app that had a newer revision.

12.7 is an attempt to de-bloat iTunes. Though doing it in a strange way. Even the iTunes store has changed to not show you apps, books or ringtones on the computer.
Couldn't agree more. I myself do tend to buy and my apps directly on my iPhone but I liked managing my apps when I had big changes to make like those times I decided/needed to start with a clean install and use the folder management screens in iTunes to arrange my apps and the folders. Now ti would be a real pain you know where. Very odd.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM

I just got a bug report closed by Apple. A new feature in iTunes 12.7 has been added.

Resetting Play count also resets the current play position to the beginning of the track.

This is especially useful for audio books, where remember playback position is used and you quit listening to the last track during the credits. Of course the file remembers that you were in the credits. The old iTunes would reset the plays and when you got to that last track, it would start in the credits. Not good.

Starting with iTunes 12.7 when you reset the plays, that last track will also get reset to the beginning.

They moved the Reset Plays option (I am not sure when) into the Get Info / Audiobook Info window instead of the right click context menu but at least it sets my books up right for listening again now.

Topic: iTunes 12.7 released

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.