Ipod and songs with missing locations - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod and songs with missing locations

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 AM

Junior Lounger

Ipod and songs with missing locations

I recently purchased a new computer and set up iTunes. The vast majority of the songs connected to their original locations in the music folders, but a few of them did not, and the location could not be found. I synced my iPod classic to iTunes, thinking those songs whose locations could not be found would not show up. However, after I synced the iPod, those songs did show up and played just fine. I have my iTunes set where it syncs automatically, not manually managed music. I'm glad those songs still showed up, but I'm a little puzzled why. Does the iPod just add whatever new material there is from iTunes, and doesn't bother with the songs already on the iPod?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

The songs are still in your library and their properties in the iTunes library haven't changed (note that their location is still the same as when they were originally synced with the iPod). Since nothing have changed in the library, there is no reason to change the songs on the iPod.

If you want to "bring" these songs in your iTunes library, you can try to find them on your old computer. If you find them, you can simply update their locations in your new iTunes library.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Junior Lounger

If I change anything at all in the information on those "missing" songs (such as adding lyrics or some other information) will that affect them showing up the next time I sync my ipod? Or is it just a matter of the location remaining the same as it was originally?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

If the songs are changed in the library, they'll be synced to the iPod. I guess that there might be different outcomes, depending on what is changed. At the end of the day it all depends on what you would like to do with them:
  • If you want these songs to sync properly, you should find the files on your computer and update their location in your iTunes library.
  • If you want to remove these songs from your iPod, you can simply delete them from iTunes and they'll disappear from your iPod next time you sync it.

Topic: Ipod and songs with missing locations

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.