How can I see the full description of a podcast in itunes 12.6.1.25 for Windows? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How can I see the full description of a podcast in itunes 12.6.1.25 for Windows?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-18-2017, 12:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question How can I see the full description of a podcast in itunes 12.6.1.25 for Windows?

How can I see the full description of a podcast in itunes 12.6.1.25 for Windows? I'm using Win 10.

I right click on a podcast, then I click on "Get Info", then I click on the "Description" tab and then I only see part of the description. How can I see the whole description?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM

You can't see it. The data is missing by the time it gets to you.

iTunes uses the subtitle field of the RSS feed to set this value. Per the rules it needs to be 255 characters or less and no HTML. So the truncation you see is because the podcaster is not following the rules for the tag.

<itunes:subtitle>
At the Channel level, this tag is a short description that provides general information about the Podcast. It will appear next to your Podcast as users browse through listings of Podcasts.
At the Item level, this tag is a short description that provides specific information for each episode.
Limited to 255 characters or less, plain text, no HTML

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

In previous versions of iTunes I could see long descriptions. Where can I see the long descriptions? Thanks,
Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM

It is possible you had a feed that was directly from a podcast provider and not going through the Apple Store. In that case they may have been able to put a bigger description in the Subtitle/Description tag and you could see it.

If they have a feed that is not in the Apple Store here is an example.

Radio Free Burrito dot Com:
Direct: RADIO FREE BURRITO dot COM
iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...338709542?mt=2

You might get the full description with the direct link, but it does not seem to be working for me. I get truncated descriptions either way. It seems to be a "feature" of a newer version of iTunes from 2016.

You can find the episode in the iTunes Store, and IF the podcast owner put the description in the <itunes:summary> tag which is 4000 characters, you can click the i just to the left of the popularity to see it. I am seeing slightly more there than I get in the Description section of Get Info.

You can see the same information if you open their feed in a browser directly, just above the link to the file.

Honestly the problem is caused by the Podcast owner not following the rules...It is not something for the user to try and fix.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Found it!

Thanks for the reminder. The little "i" button was far to the right and I found it. Now I can see the full descriptions. Thanks,

Topic: How can I see the full description of a podcast in itunes 12.6.1.25 for Windows?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.