Moving to New computer - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Moving to New computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Moving to New computer

I have just purchased a new computer and I'm trying to figure out how to move my old library to the new computer. I just downloaded iTunes and my purchases are showing up in my library, but all the stuff I put in my own is not there. How do I restore all my music and the information that went with it to the new computer's library?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM

You'll need to back up your music on your old computer and restore it onto the new computer.

If your music is under the iTunes folder on the old computer, then backing up the iTunes folder from the old computer and restoring it to the My Music folder on the new computer, overwriting all files is the easiest way to go.

If your music is located in different places on the old computer, then you may want to consider using the File->Library->Consolidate (may not be exact, going from memory) to copy all your music to a single location on the old computer and backing that up and restoring it to the same location on the new computer is not too hard. You need space on the old computer to hold 2 copies of your music files though. Don't forget to also back up the iTunes folder on the old computer and restore the iTunes folder in the new computer in the My Music folder, overwriting everything.

If your music is located in different places on the old computer and you don't have the space for 2 copies of your music, then backing it up in the current locations on the old computer and restoring to the exact locations on the new computer is your choice. Don't forget to also back up the iTunes folder on the old computer and restore the iTunes folder in the new computer in the My Music folder, overwriting everything.

Backup can be defined as using backup software or copy to external hard drive.

The iTunes folder is the key to getting all the information about your library.

Don't forget to authorize the new computer and sign into the iTunes Store.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Moving to New computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.