sync crisis -- need assistance - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: sync crisis -- need assistance

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-13-2017, 09:14 AM

Junior Lounger

sync crisis -- need assistance

Here are some of the events in the crisis:
1. iTunes opened -- I updated it.
2. I connected the Ipod to my Dell desktop
3. "Synchronizing" appeared in the display
4. "Completed" appeared in the display
5. iPod disconnected
6. Nothing is on iPod
7. Steps 2 to 6 repeated, this time with "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" checked
8. Nothing is on iPod
9. When I click on "Sync" in iTunes, nothing happens -- and nothing is found on the iPod
Version of iPod: Fifth Generation iPod

Last edited by Ivory88; 05-13-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: display
Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Have you tried powering the iPod off, then on again?

Is the iPod set to Manually Manage Music? Then syncing is disabled, you'll need to drag and drop the music from the library to your iPod. You can disable the Manually Manage music by clicking on the iPod, then clicking on the General section in the left column and uncheck Manually Manage Music and Videos.

Do you have anything selected to sync?

1. In iTunes, click on the iPod (assumed it is connected already) that should be the right most button in the button bar
2. Click on the Music section in the left column.
3. Verify that Sync Music is checked.
4. Verify that all music or selected playlists, genres, artists and albums is selected. (assuming using selected playlists... )
5. Scroll down to the Playlists section (or Genre, or Artist, or Album) and verify something is checked, add something new
6. Scroll down to the bottom and click Apply.

You can also see what is already on the device.
The bottom bar in iTunes should show you how much space is used.
In the left column, you can click on the lower Music section to see the songs on it.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post

Is the iPod set to Manually Manage Music? Then syncing is disabled, you'll need to drag and drop the music from the library to your iPod. You can disable the Manually Manage music by clicking on the iPod, then clicking on the General section in the left column and uncheck Manually Manage Music and Videos.

1. In iTunes, click on the iPod (assumed it is connected already) that should be the right most button in the button bar
4. Verify that all music or selected playlists, genres, artists and albums is selected. (assuming using selected playlists... )
5. Scroll down to the Playlists section (or Genre, or Artist, or Album) and verify something is checked, add something new

In the left column, you can click on the lower Music section to see the songs on it.

Somehow t unchecked Manage Music. Sometimes the iPod icon displays, sometimes it doesn't (see Attachment). I was unable to find the "Music section" mentioned in your very helpful post, and I don't know how I was able to display the Sync Music screen (see Attachments).
Your assistance is sincerely appreciated.

I'm using version 12.4.1.6
Attached Thumbnails
sync crisis -- need assistance-itunes-no-ipod-.jpg   sync crisis -- need assistance-itunes-displays.jpg   sync crisis -- need assistance-itunes-sync-music.jpg  

Last edited by Ivory88; 05-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:02 PM

OK, so manually manage music will not sync music to your iPod.

Your top right screen shot was before the sync (no music, 14 GB free) and the bottom screen shot is after the sync (4 GB free) and since you selected all your music, you don't need to pick playlists, artists, etc.

If you want to see what is on your iPod, then your bottom screen shot and top right too has the Music section I was talking about. You can see it under the On My Device.

Your iPod will not show up if you recently ejected it. This is normal. It also may delay showing up when initially plugging in as the iPod Helper Service is loading it up for iTunes to see. You can always unplug and plug it back in to see it again.

If you don't use your iPod as a USB thumb drive, then you should uncheck Enable Disk Use in the Settings section and click Apply. This will eliminate eject issues with the PC, and may make the iPod show up in iTunes more reliably as Windows is no longer holding onto it as a thumb drive.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Junior Lounger

thanks again

Yes, I got the iPod to sync my whole library and would like to be able to do it again. I can see On My Device in the screen shot, but clicking on the iPod icon, clicking the name of the iPod and clicking on other options (in the View menu) does not call it up.

I would uncheck Enable Disk Use if I could access the dialog box that it's in.

Yesterday, the iPod appeared in color (as in the screenshot). Today it does not.

(I followed your suggestion to unplug the iPod and plug it back in again.)
Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Plug in your iPod into iTunes
Click on the iPod in the button bar
The default selection is the Summary section.
Uncheck the bottom box that enables disk use.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Junior Lounger

full steam ahead

Windows updated the software for my iPod, and the iPod button, which was previously greyed out, appeared, and I was able to uncheck Enable disk use.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:

The screenshot shows my display after doing what you said to do -- to Click on the Music section in the left column -- and I don't see the checkbox for Sync Music. (See attachment.)

The Apply button doesn't display either.

Thanks in advance. If someone can suggest a technique for displaying Sync Music I would appreciate it. "Something," (I don't know what) is disconnecting (ejecting) the iPod prematurely because it doesn't appear in the Show Hidden Icons "section" on the Task Bar by the clock (Windows 10.1). Also the iPod button was not displaying in iTunes even though I had not ejected it or disconnected it.
Attached Thumbnails
sync crisis -- need assistance-music-section.jpg  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 AM

You clicked on the second Music section. Try the upper one, same column.

When you make changes that button changes from Sync to Apply.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
You clicked on the second Music section. Try the upper one, same column.

When you make changes that button changes from Sync to Apply.
Yes, that's correct. After checking the Sync Music checkbox, I selected the music that I wanted transferred to the iPod. The music is organized according to playlists, albums, artists, and genres,and one must scroll in order to see all of the music.
Attached Thumbnails
sync crisis -- need assistance-sync-music-layout.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Wow that is a lot of Unknown Artist / Unknown Albums!

Seems like some Get Info work is needed to add the information for all those tracks. Do a few every day and you'll get them updated eventually. If they are MP3 files be sure to use File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags and use v2.3 to write out the iTunes information to the MP3 files.

Topic: sync crisis -- need assistance

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.