Comparing 2 Playlists - Nano vs My PC - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Comparing 2 Playlists - Nano vs My PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Senior Lounger

Question Comparing 2 Playlists - Nano vs My PC

I just synced my Nano.

It has 75 less songs in the same Playlist as the Playlist on my PC has.

What's the best way to compare these two lists, and the simplest too?

My Nano isn't out of space, so it's not a space issue.

Thanks in advance.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
EAC & Lame ='s 192kbps VBR of pure bliss
Old 05-08-2017, 03:14 AM

Probably exporting the playlists and comparing would be the easiest.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Probably exporting the playlists and comparing would be the easiest.
Hi CJ, thanks I figured that would be the case. I'll find a formula to compare in MS Excel hopefully. There's a lot of songs to go there.

How come it's "impossible" to find the sign-in and sign-off feature of this forum?? Every forum I've been to puts this feature in CLEAR plain sight.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 05-08-2017, 02:16 PM

There are online XLS and XML comparison tools.

I am not in charge of the forum settings itself. I can recommend things, and they might be implemented or not.
The forum seems to be the "old style" where you log into a forum and you never log out. It is convenient for me as I can jump on any 3-4 systems and I am logged in already. I have found the logout button at the bottom of http://forums.ilounge.com/ but I agree that it is not normal. The same page can be used to log in.

You could use incognito mode to log into iLounge and use http://forums.ilounge.com/ to log in. Then when you close your browser you would be logged out.

I can make a request to have a logout/log in capability on every forum page. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
There are online XLS and XML comparison tools.

I am not in charge of the forum settings itself. I can recommend things, and they might be implemented or not.
The forum seems to be the "old style" where you log into a forum and you never log out. It is convenient for me as I can jump on any 3-4 systems and I am logged in already. I have found the logout button at the bottom of http://forums.ilounge.com/ but I agree that it is not normal. The same page can be used to log in.

You could use incognito mode to log into iLounge and use http://forums.ilounge.com/ to log in. Then when you close your browser you would be logged out.

I can make a request to have a logout/log in capability on every forum page. We'll see if it goes anywhere.
I know you aren't, just asked because I know you have been around for a long time as well.

There used to be a link to log out, but even that was in some odd place. It's never been easy to log-in/log-out of this forum.

Thanks for the stealth suggestion and links.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Thanks for pointing that out.... Logging in is actually pretty straightforward from the home page, at least — you'll see userid and password fields both at the top and the bottom of the home page, but since a lot of folks land here from Google search, I suppose it should be readily available on every page. I'll look into that and see what I can do to fix it, along with adding a more prominent "Logout" button.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.... Logging in is actually pretty straightforward from the home page, at least you'll see userid and password fields both at the top and the bottom of the home page, but since a lot of folks land here from Google search, I suppose it should be readily available on every page. I'll look into that and see what I can do to fix it, along with adding a more prominent "Logout" button.
Thanks for replying. Logging in is only somewhat easier. I've been here a long time, and it's never been easy for in and especially out.

Most forums I frequent have the log in prominently displayed, this one you have to click once, and it's not obvious where one should click.

Logging out, forget, nothing obvious at all, it's so bad, I rarely use the forum, even though I think the content is excellent and members helpful. I'm shocked it's never been brought up or changed.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 AM

To be honest, it did come up in discussion a couple of years ago when we were looking at rebuilding the entire forum in order to upgrade to vBulletin 4 (or even possibly 5), but that more or less keeps getting shelved due to the huge amount of coding that would be involved — there's no seamless upgrade path for heavily customized sites like ours, which would have meant rebuilding all of our templates from scratch. Obviously, that would have meant fixing a lot of these little issues in the process.

Of course, since I rarely log out, it's been easy for me to forget that it's still an issue. Logging IN from the main home page isn't too bad, since it is prominently displayed both at the top and the bottom of the forum listing. Unfortunately, those banners aren't replicated on the individual forum pages.

Anyway, I'm on it. Thanks again for bringing it (back) to my attention

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Power Lounger

Did you ever get your playlists sorted out? Could it be a "sync only checked songs" issue?

I also have trouble finding where to log in. Today I just hit the "post new thread" button and it asked me to log in first, but sometimes I'm just browsing and want to reply, and I don't think that's an option without logging in FIRST. Which I can never figure out how to do easily. Yes it should be on every single page. At least a prominent "Click here to log in" button, if not the actual user/pass fields.

iPod Touch 32GB (4th gen., Black) | iTunes 11.0.1.12 (8942 songs, 27.5 days, 37.13 GB)
SmartLists by Code Monkey
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 PM

Power Lounger

My bad I guess the "reply" does work to log in too when you aren't already.

iPod Touch 32GB (4th gen., Black) | iTunes 11.0.1.12 (8942 songs, 27.5 days, 37.13 GB)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Power Lounger

And yes, logging out should be made easier, too. It can only be done from the main page, unless I'm missing something? I shouldn't have to go somewhere else first, just to leave. Every single page. Just put it wherever you put the "click here to log in" button, once they're logged in. Viper's got a point it's not a huge deal but it is enough to sometimes make me go "nah, nevermind this is too hard" when I just wanted to pop in for something real quick.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 AM

I really hoped your link to Code Monkey's document was live. I was looking for a reference. It is dead though. Sad.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
I really hoped your link to Code Monkey's document was live. I was looking for a reference. It is dead though. Sad.
I have a copy saved on my computer, I'll upload it as an attachment. Also, if you're interested, here's a breakdown of the lists I've made for my own use. Play around with the numbers as befits your device size and library:

I will note that all these "nested" lists are a bit much for my old computer to handle. Any time I edit data or a song finishes playing and updates the playcount/date, iTunes freezes up for a few seconds (sometimes up to half a minute) while the change propagates through the whole tree. This might not be a problem on a more modern machine.

- Folder "*Base Pool"

-- a. 5-star least:
Playlist is not Exclusion
Rating is 5 stars
Last played is not in the last 1 days
Limit to 300 songs by least often played

-- b: 5-star old:
Playlist is not "a: 5 star least"
Rating is 5 stars
Limit to 300 songs by least recently played

-- c: 5-star random:
Playlist is not "a: 5-star least"
Playlist is not "b: 5-star old"
Rating is 5 stars
Limit to 300 songs byrandom

-- d: 4-star least:
Rating is 4 stars
Last played is not in the last 3 days
Limit to 300 songs by least often played.

-- e: 4-star old:
Playlist is not "d: 4-star least"
Rating is 4 stars
Limit to 300 songs by lest recently played

-- f: 4-star random:
Playlist is not "d: f-star least"
Playlist is not "e: 4-star old"
Rating is 4 stars
Limit to 300 songs by random

-- g: least-played:
Playlist is not {a, b, c, d, e, f}
Last played is not in the last 9 days

-- h: old songs:
Playlist is not {a, b, c, d, e, f, g}

-- j: random songs:
Playlist is not {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}

--------------------------------------------------------------

That completes the "*base pool" folder. Put this folder inside another folder called "*Smart Tools" (I use the asterisk so it sorts to the top). *Smart Tools contains the following:

*Base Pool {folder}

1: Base Pool {playlist}
Playlist is *Base Pool {folder} {this just adds another level of "shuffle." You could just skip this and instead point to the folder where I point to this list in "4: Mixpool" later.}
Limit to 3000 items by random

2: New Songs
Date added is in the last 60 days
Limit to 400 items by random.

3: Unrated Songs:
Rating is 0 stars
Last Played is not in the last 1 days
Limit to 400 items by random

4: Mixpool {match ANY -- this gathers all of the previous lists into one place}:
Playlist is 1: Base Pool
Playlist is 2: New Songs
Playlist is 3: Unrated Songs

5: Podmix {match ANY -- this list will be synced to the iPod. It includes the entire mixpool, plus whatever else you want to have available in your mixes. I put some more recents and all-time favorites in with it}:
Playlist is 4: Mixpool
Playlist is Hotlist {a short list of stuff I want always on my iPod no matter what it's rated or when I've played it or what else the smart lists decide to do}
Playlist is Recent additions {smartlist catches 100 newest tracks in the library}
Playlist is Recent History {smartlist catches 100 last played songs}
Playlist is Top 100 {smartlist catches 100 top-played songs that have also been played within last six weeks}

6: Dynamic Pool {match ALL -- this is what all the "mix" lists will point to. It's basically the same as 5 but it weeds out a few extra songs that belong on the device, but not in my random mix lists}:
Playlist is 5: Podmix
Rating is not 1-star
Rating is not 2-stars
Limit to 10,000 items by random

----------------------------------------------------------

So I put "5: Mixpool" on the list so it catches things like my Hotlist and recents, and I put "6: Dynamic Pool" on there so the mix lists can point to it and not catch stuff that doesn't belong. For example I might have a comedy album I want to hear sometimes; I'd put it in my hotlist and rate it 2-stars. Since "Hotlist" gets dumped into Mixpool, it would always be on the iPod and available for me to listen to by going to the artist and playing it directly, but since 2-stars are filtered out of Dynamic Pool, I don't get spoken-word comedy showing up randomly in my music mixes.

So, once 5 and 6 are taken care of, then I have a bunch of "mix" lists. These are the lists I actually play (I usually shuffle the list too, just for one more layer of mixed-upedness.)

Mix: All
Playlist is 6: Dynamic Pool
Limit to 1000 items by random

Mix: Favorites
Rating is greater than 3-stars

Mix: Five-Star Favorites
Rating is 5 stars

Mix: Unrated
Rating is 0 stars

Mix: Discovery
--Match any
--Rating is 4 stars
--OR--
--Rating is 0 stars

Mix: Unloved
Rating is 3 stars

etc. Here is where you get to have fun. The base pool, smart tools etc. have done most of the grunt-work in assembling a diverse cross-section of your library. Now you get to make up some mixes
Attached Files
File Type: pdf smartlist-management-pdf.pdf (395.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by bwh79; 05-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Senior Lounger

Thanks for the Doc. I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwh79 View Post
I have a copy saved on my computer, I'll upload it as an attachment. Also, if you're interested, here's a breakdown of the lists I've made for my own use. Play around with the numbers as befits your device size and library:

I will note that all these "nested" lists are a bit much for my old computer to handle. Any time I edit data or a song finishes playing and updates the playcount/date, iTunes freezes up for a few seconds (sometimes up to half a minute) while the change propagates through the whole tree. This might not be a problem on a more modern machine.

- Folder "*Base Pool"

-- a. 5-star least:
Rating is 5 stars

-- b: 5-star old:
Playlist is not "a: 5 star least"
Rating is 5 stars

-- c: 5-star random:
Playlist is not "a: 5-star least"
Playlist is not "b: 5-star old"
Rating is 5 stars
Limit to 300 songs byrandom

-- d: 4-star least:
Rating is 4 stars
Limit to 300 songs by least often played.

-- e: 4-star old:
Playlist is not "d: 4-star least"
Rating is 4 stars
Limit to 300 songs by lest recently played

-- f: 4-star random:
Playlist is not "d: f-star least"
Playlist is not "e: 4-star old"
Rating is 4 stars

-- g: least-played:
Playlist is not {a, b, c, d, e, f}

-- h: old songs:
Playlist is not {a, b, c, d, e, f, g}

-- j: random songs:
Playlist is not {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h}

--------------------------------------------------------------

That completes the "*base pool" folder. Put this folder inside another folder called "*Smart Tools" (I use the asterisk so it sorts to the top). *Smart Tools contains the following:

*Base Pool {folder}

1: Base Pool {playlist}
Playlist is *Base Pool {folder} {this just adds another level of "shuffle." You could just skip this and instead point to the folder where I point to this list in "4: Mixpool" later.}

2: New Songs
Date added is in the last 60 days
Limit to 400 items by random.

3: Unrated Songs:
Rating is 0 stars
Last Played is not in the last 1 days
Limit to 400 items by random

4: Mixpool {match ANY -- this gathers all of the previous lists into one place}:
Playlist is 1: Base Pool
Playlist is 2: New Songs
Playlist is 3: Unrated Songs

5: Podmix {match ANY -- this list will be synced to the iPod. It includes the entire mixpool, plus whatever else you want to have available in your mixes. I put some more recents and all-time favorites in with it}:
Playlist is 4: Mixpool
Playlist is Hotlist {a short list of stuff I want always on my iPod no matter what it's rated or when I've played it or what else the smart lists decide to do}
Playlist is Recent additions {smartlist catches 100 newest tracks in the library}
Playlist is Recent History {smartlist catches 100 last played songs}
Playlist is Top 100 {smartlist catches 100 top-played songs that have also been played within last six weeks}

6: Dynamic Pool {match ALL -- this is what all the "mix" lists will point to. It's basically the same as 5 but it weeds out a few extra songs that belong on the device, but not in my random mix lists}:
Playlist is 5: Podmix
Rating is not 1-star
Rating is not 2-stars
Limit to 10,000 items by random

----------------------------------------------------------

So I put "5: Mixpool" on the list so it catches things like my Hotlist and recents, and I put "6: Dynamic Pool" on there so the mix lists can point to it and not catch stuff that doesn't belong. For example I might have a comedy album I want to hear sometimes; I'd put it in my hotlist and rate it 2-stars. Since "Hotlist" gets dumped into Mixpool, it would always be on the iPod and available for me to listen to by going to the artist and playing it directly, but since 2-stars are filtered out of Dynamic Pool, I don't get spoken-word comedy showing up randomly in my music mixes.

So, once 5 and 6 are taken care of, then I have a bunch of "mix" lists. These are the lists I actually play (I usually shuffle the list too, just for one more layer of mixed-upedness.)

Mix: All

Mix: Favorites
Rating is greater than 3-stars

Mix: Five-Star Favorites
Rating is 5 stars

Mix: Unrated
Rating is 0 stars

Mix: Discovery
--Match any
--Rating is 4 stars
--OR--
--Rating is 0 stars

Mix: Unloved
Rating is 3 stars

etc. Here is where you get to have fun. The base pool, smart tools etc. have done most of the grunt-work in assembling a diverse cross-section of your library. Now you get to make up some mixes

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwh79 View Post
Thanks for the info and reuploading Codemonkey's document. Really useful, I have a copy already and probably will upload it and put a link to it too for any newbies, if that's ok.

Topic: Comparing 2 Playlists - Nano vs My PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.