Syncing problem - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Syncing problem

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Syncing problem

Hopefully there will be a simple solution to this. I have around 16000 songs on my ipod. Every now and again I take albums off my playlist and put new ones on. When I sync my ipod to iTunes instead of just syncing the new changes which would only take a few minutes it starts from the beginning and syncs the whole 16000 songs again which takes a few hours. What have I done wrong?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Do you have a process that goes through your music collection on your PC and changes the last updated date? That could cause iTunes to think the files have changed and resync all of them.

Are you running Windows Media Server? It could be going out to the Internet and updating the files with different genres and what not. You won't see these changes unless you play the songs in iTunes, and the songs were MP3 files. You would also see the changes when you play the song on the iPod if something big changes. Killing of the Windows Media Server or telling Windows Media Player to not go the internet for updates would be good. If you have this problem, select all the track and use File->Convert->Convert ID3 tags to write out all the iTunes data back into the files.

Other media players could have similar impacts.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Do you have a process that goes through your music collection on your PC and changes the last updated date? That could cause iTunes to think the files have changed and resync all of them.

How would I know? Not as far as I am aware

Are you running Windows Media Server? It could be going out to the Internet and updating the files with different genres and what not. You won't see these changes unless you play the songs in iTunes, and the songs were MP3 files. You would also see the changes when you play the song on the iPod if something big changes. Killing of the Windows Media Server or telling Windows Media Player to not go the internet for updates would be good. If you have this problem, select all the track and use File->Convert->Convert ID3 tags to write out all the iTunes data back into the files.

Not sure what Windows Media Server is. As far as I know I only use iTunes to play music on my pc. I have Windows 10 and iTunes is the latest version
Old 05-07-2017, 02:21 PM

Some software (possibly Symantec scanning, but I don't really know for sure) can alter the last modified date of the files when it scans. It should not do this.

Network drives may also have issue with dates, when hosted on a router with the wrong date/time.

Windows 10 no longer has Windows Media stuff, so you don't have to worry about that.

Does your iTunes open and close without errors? Maybe the library is not getting saved properly.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Syncing problem

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.