Bugs in new iTunes Update? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Bugs in new iTunes Update?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Unhappy Bugs in new iTunes Update?

Since the new version of the iTunes software was downloaded, three things have mysteriously happened. Not at the same time, but over the last two weeks.

First, even though "Oldest to Newest" is checked, podcasts are played "Newest to Oldest". It's like Back to the Future.

Second, podcasts have stopped downloading automatically and won't start downloading when I click on "Update".

Thirdly, the software won't load at all.

Fault in the software ? Or do I need a new computer ?
Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM

I would not look at replacing the computer just yet.

I would try to see if you got a bad installation. Uninstall iTunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Service, iPod Helper, and anything else Apple. Then install iTunes again to see if that resolves the issue. Your library will remain in place, but it is good to have a backup just in case.

As for the order of Podcasts, if the reinstall does not resolve it, then try reversing the order to Newest first and see if it plays the oldest. If not, switch back to Oldest first to see if that fixes it. Maybe an internal setting was not carried over from the installation. You can work around this by making a playlist with the correct order and use that.

The download issue could be related to another bug I logged against Apple where the Get button for podcasts in the iTunes Store do not download episodes. I'll have to test this on iTunes which I do not have with me. I stopped using iTunes for podcasts once the iPhone Podcast app stopped supporting smart playlists.

What software are you referring to in your third issue?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 AM

Junior Lounger

Hi - I'll try all that and get back with a report.

The software was iTunes itself. The little circle keeps turning but nothing happens.......
Old 04-05-2017, 12:13 PM

I subscribed to a podcast and downloaded 3 episodes. I have the Podcast ordered Oldest to Newest and Play Oldest to Newest. It is currently playing Oldest to Newest.

The Refresh button for all podcasts downloaded new episodes for 2 subscriptions.
The Refresh Podcast button downloaded the new episode for a single podcast.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Junior Lounger

Angry

Downloading iTunes again sorted the not loading problem and the updates so there was probably an incomplete download.

Bafflingly (is that a word?) the podcasts play newest to oldest, whether the toggle is set for newest to oldest or oldest to news

I'm currently persevering.

Not crucial, but slightly annoying.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 PM

I sorted mine oldest to newest and play order oldest to newest and that seemed to work. Have you tried that?

Old 04-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Junior Lounger

Unhappy

Yes - no help.

However, I've found out that my iTunes account is locked. Could be because my credit card has been renewed - though I've bought nothing since that happened. I've updated the details, unlocked the account, gone to iTunes, tried to sign in ......

Now I'm getting an error message - "Can't connect to the Apple server."

I'll try again tomorrow..........
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 PM

Can't connect to Apple Server is typically caused by firewalls and overly aggressive security software. You may need to tell your security software to allow iTunes to access the internet.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Junior Lounger

Cool

OK - that's helpful.

I'll see if I can fix that.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Junior Lounger

Well, here's an update.

I downloaded the iTunes update on 25th March and it's no coincidence that some podcasts have not downloaded since then.

On the other hand, some are still being updated, which just makes things more baffling.

And we're still playing in the newest to oldest order.

Still working on it ....
Old 05-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Junior Lounger

Oh well, I ended up getting a new computer.

I needed to upgrade anyway. I was still on Windows 7.

Last edited by lionofludesch; 05-18-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:28 PM

I am also currently on Windows 7. iTunes seems to work fine and connects to the store just fine.

Topic: Bugs in new iTunes Update?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.