Multiple Instances of iTunes or Multiple Libraries? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Multiple Instances of iTunes or Multiple Libraries?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Multiple Instances of iTunes or Multiple Libraries?

Does anyone know how to open multiple instances of iTunes simultaneously that are each referring to their own libraries?

Basically, what I'm trying to do is the following:

I have a large music library (over 30k+ songs). I'd like to have an instance of iTunes open that will have all those songs in them so that I can basically play anything from that library on command. The issue is, I'm always importing new songs that may not have the appropriate tagging (I'm very meticulous about my tagging) and as such, it could get lost within the list of the 30k songs. This is why I would think it would be beneficial to have a separate instance of iTunes open so that I can use that one to do my tagging work every time I need to tag.

I know I have a few options:

1. I can have multiple libraries (I'm on a PC, so I hold SHIFT down while opening iTunes and I can choose between libraries for the instance to refer to). This is not ideal though because I would have to close the program and change libraries all the time whenever I want to listen to my library vs. doing the tagging work. What if I want to listen to music while I tag?

2. I can create a new Smart Playlist and have the criteria based on "Date Added". This is a bit better of an option, but I can see this can become messy.

3. Find a different program to tag music. I'd rather not do this as I LOVE the tagging features and options of iTunes.

Is there a way to toggle between libraries (if I created multiple libraries) WITHOUT having to close and reopen iTunes (therefore only essentially being able to use one library at a time)? Is there some sort of way to add a library on the left sidebar as if it were a playlist or something?

Am I thinking too hard about this or is there a better solution that I'm just not thinking about?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 AM

No you can't have two iTunes running at the same time.

iTunes has also removed the open in new window feature that I loved. So you can't even see your library in 2 windows anymore. So in essence you are not going to find a solution you like.

If you want to listen while tagging, listen to the library you are tagging, or use a different media player to listen to the second library while tagging the first. I wonder if you can run Media Monkey on the listen library and iTunes on the tagging? Or listen via iPhone while tagging.

I use a smart playlist. Unrated is what I call mine. If there are no stars on a song, I know I haven't edited it yet. So I listen to it, and edit it. When the song ends I close the Get Info window.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Multiple Instances of iTunes or Multiple Libraries?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.