iTunes shuffle problem (never encountered before) - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes shuffle problem (never encountered before)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-06-2017, 03:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes shuffle problem (never encountered before)

I have been using iTunes for years now and have never had this problem. I have recently updated to version 12.5.5 which is the latest version. I like to play my library by shuffle. Normally I press the shuffle icon and away it goes. Now when I press the shuffle icon it will go to a certain artist and song, then when that songs ends I would expect it to go to another random artist and song. Instead it plays the rest of the album in sequence until the end of the album, then it will randomly choose another artist and song and do it all over again.

eg (in shuffle mode)
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run (track 5)
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run (track 6)
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run (track 7)
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run (track 8)
Kate Bush The Kick Inside (track 3)
Kate Bush The Kick Inside (track 4)
Kate Bush The Kick Inside (track 5)
Kate Bush The Kick Inside (track 6)
Kate Bush The Kick Inside (track 7)
Kate Bush The Kick Inside (track 8)
and so on till the end of the album.

If it helps on the side panel I have songs selected and also on controls>shuffle it is set to on and songs

Any help appreciated
Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 AM

I can't reproduce this as stated.

When I play with Controls->Shuffle set to Songs, it picks a random song every time.

I can get a similar behavior to happen when Controls->Shuffle is set to Album.
If you switch from Album to Songs you get this behavior as the Up Next was set while it was in Album mode.
You can resolve it by stopping play back, then clearing out Up Next and playing again.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your reply. Under control I have it set to songs. I have cleared what songs are coming up next but it still does the same thing when I start playing songs again.
Quite annoying
Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 AM

try switching it from songs to album and play. How does it behave?

If you switch back to songs, does it fix it?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

I appreciate you taking the time to think about my problem.

I switched to albums and it played a whole album then shuffled to another artist and played a whole album and so on. I then switched back to songs but it still played a whole album by an artist before moving to another artist. It still did not shuffle after each song. Sorry to say no change!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Weird. I would uninstall iTunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Service, iPod Helper, Quicktime, and any other Apple software I may have missed. Then download a new copy of iTunes and install it. Maybe something got messed up the last install.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks. If I did that would it still recognize the music I have or would I need to import all the music back on to iTunes.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Based on my signature I assume everyone has a backup just in case.

Typically, you can uninstall and reinstall several times a day and your library will remain intact with no need to import.

Topic: iTunes shuffle problem (never encountered before)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.