Song titles change when dragging out of iTunes - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Song titles change when dragging out of iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-19-2017, 06:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Song titles change when dragging out of iTunes

I'm seeing a weird quirk- I am working on a project where I have appended song titles using the 'Get Info' command in iTunes to reflect a rating and other pertinent info, yet when I drag them out of iTunes into a folder all of the added info disappears and it reverts to what the song name was when it came into iTunes. Is there a way to permanently change the titles of songs in iTunes?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 AM

These are most likely MP3 songs.

iTunes as a bad habit of not updating the tags inside of MP3 songs unless a major update is made like embedding album art.

So what is happening is that iTunes will show you the information that you set in the Get Info window. Once the song is outside of iTunes (or even played on an iPod) the internal tags (ID3 tags) are accessed by the operating system without iTunes help, and the original tags (usually incorrect) reappear.

You can force iTunes to fix this by:
- Selecting 1 or more MP3 files in iTunes.
- Click on File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags
- Choose version 2.3
- Wait for iTunes to write the Get Info information into the MP3 files

Now when you drag them out, the data will be retained.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Last edited by cjmnews; 02-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

I just tried it and no change- none of the updated info is reflected in the song titles. I tried all the various ID3 options as well to no avail. Rather frustrating. Any other workarounds?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM

I added the correct version to the steps.

The song name needs to be set in Get Info, then the ID3 tag updates need to be applied.

Then it should retain the values in the file. The track name will be limited to the number of characters that your operating system allows and the characters that are allowed. The ID3 tag will keep all the data.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

I could be a little thick so let me review my steps because nothing is changing- I highlight the song I want to change the title of> I retitle said song in the Get Info dialog> I click out of that and go to Convert > Convert ID3 tags> I select one of the ID3 conversions (although none of them seem to change anything)> I drag the song out of iTunes into the folder I am creating to share with the others on the team. So far nothing changes anything- the titles are the same as when I imported them into iTunes. For the record these were songs either sent to me or conversions from You Tube that out of iTunes become Safari12092345 instead of the retitled song with the info I want to retain.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 PM

You must not have iTunes automatically managing your files. So the files don't get renamed or moved into the albums you set in the Get Info window.

If you are used to operating like this, don't change it. Turning this on will move your music around into a directory structure iTunes Music\Artist\Album\TrackName.ext

But this means that you will have to rename the song file manually.

You can do this after you copy it out of iTunes with Windows Explorer.

Or use the Get Info window, copy the Track Name from the General section, and close the Get Info window, right click the song choose Show in Windows Explorer, then rename the song there, then go back to iTunes and play the track which will ask you if you want to Locate it, click locate and choose the file you just renamed.

I think after it is copied out of iTunes is easier, using iTunes Managing music is best, and manual renaming a long work around for not allowing iTunes to manage your music.

Topic: Song titles change when dragging out of iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.