Switching to MacOS - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switching to MacOS

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM

Senior Lounger

Switching to MacOS

Wasn't sure where to post this. Well here is as good as any, so I'm finally making the jump to Mac OS - last Apple computer I had was an Apple II in the 1980s. Been using an iPhone since 2011 (4,5 and 6). As my Windows 7 box is getting long in the tooth and crashing with alarming frequency I need to replace it. Made my decision for Mac.

This is my likely c hoice:

Apple iMac 5K, 27", i5, 3.2GHz, 8Go, 1To Fusion Drive

So what do I need to do?
Essential:
1)Move my itunes library of music (iTunes purchases and ripped cds as well as playlists) and ios apps
2)Documents and assorted files (mostly word files) also some pdfs.
3)Photographs
4)Broswer bookmarks and passwords - I currently use Firefox
4)iPhone related files (contacts and calendar on Outlook).
5)Some backed up emails on thunderbird and Outlook

Nice to have:
Mostly Windows related: I have a few old PC games I'd like to keep and run occasionally - I realise I would need bootcamp and a copy of Windows.
1) The games and other assorted files
2) Some windows utilities

So what is the best way to go about this? I understand there are tools to transfer from Windows to PC - I helped a friend upgrade her old Macbook to an iMac and the built in tool worked a charm.
How easy is bootcamp and how easy is ti to obtain an older version fo Wondows (8 at least, 7 is obsolete I wish to avoid 10 if I can). Again this is not essential and would settle for backing up my Windows files for now.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Heh, welcome to the world of macOS.... I made the switch about 12 years ago after I saw how much easier the iPod was as a music management device than anything else I'd ever used, and I haven't looked back since.

To echo a piece of advice given to me by somebody else on these forums back then, the first rule of getting used to macOS: Whenever you are trying to figure out how to do something, stop trying to do it the "Windows" way and just do it the "easy" way

To answer some of your questions, migration using the built-in tools is pretty much the easiest way to go these days. Those tools didn't exist back when I made the switch, but Apple has made some nice advances in that area. I don't know that they'll take care of your iTunes library database entirely, however, as the file systems are different such that absolute paths won't work. However, if you've let iTunes manage your media folder organization and have everything where it's supposed to be as far as iTunes is concerned, it's a pretty smooth transition as the paths will update according to your main "iTunes Media Folder" setting. See Migrating iTunes library between Windows and Mac OS X for more information.

Bootcamp is very easy to deal with, although of course you'll be rebooting your Mac back into Windows to use it. Depending on what you're doing, you might find it's easier to look to something like VMware Fusion or Parallels to run your Windows apps under macOS, at least until you find Mac-equivalent replacements. Finding older versions of Windows is a bit trickier, I imagine, but should be doable if you look around. However, if you're using Bootcamp or even VMware/Parallels there are ways you could just take an "image" of your Windows PC and import it into those. Both VMware and Parallels provide tools for doing this, although I haven't personally used them in recent years. There are third-party tools that can do this with bootcamp as well.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Senior Lounger

Thanks for the reply and the advice Jesse. I in fact used the migration assistant and it was actually mostly painless though quite long. There were some hiccups and things I am not used to, as you said it's a matter of learing the Mac way rather than trying to do it the old way.

Some issues: The migration assistant moved all my documents, photos and my whole iTunes libraty, apps and all no problem. I had a moment understanding why some of my music files disappeared (old files added before I had iTunes in the MC music folder) but cjmnews helped me with that. I also saw that all the docs and photos were labelled in finder with the date of transfer NOT the date of creation.

For phtos this seems strange as I thought they had the date they were taken in the exif file? All the picstures were taken with one of my iPhones or a sony cybershot (very few from CDs of old pics). Is there any way to get the original dates for any of my files' I am a bit confused as to how the phots app work and how to get pics in the futre off my iphone onto my mac.

Also, while streaming to my Apple TV is seamless I have an issue which was also the case with my iphone. Whenever I try to stream I set it up for what I thought was a one time code it ask every time! Any way to stop this?

About bootcamp, I think I won't touch windows here for now. I am not throwing away my old box but no longer really desire my old games for the moment, most of my gaming is on my iPhone now and there are a few games for Mac (notably X-plane for simming) but I just don't spend that much time on it anymore. there are good/excellent apps for anything else I did on Windows for Mac (work etc.) so I am not missing anything.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
I also saw that all the docs and photos were labelled in finder with the date of transfer NOT the date of creation.
macOS actually stores a "Modification Date" and a "Creation Date" (among other things it's all part of the Unix underpinnings, actually). I'm not sure how the migration assistant handles this Apple's logic might still be that the "creation date" reflects the date the file was created on your Mac, but it's worth looking at the file properties in Finder (File->Get Info) or changing around your column layout to see if the creation date is different from the modification date.

Quote:
For phtos this seems strange as I thought they had the date they were taken in the exif file? All the picstures were taken with one of my iPhones or a sony cybershot (very few from CDs of old pics). Is there any way to get the original dates for any of my files' I am a bit confused as to how the phots app work and how to get pics in the futre off my iphone onto my mac.
macOS doesn't reflect any EXIF dates in the normal Finder columns, but you can rest assured they're still in there, as the migration tool shouldn't mess with any metadata stored in your photos themselves as far as the migration tool is concerned, they're just "files" like any other.

If you import those photos into the macOS Photos app, the correct dates should be reflected in there. There are also EXIF tools you can find online that will adjust creation/modification dates to match EXIF data if you really want to do this; however, my recommendation is that you just don't worry about the underlying files and just import them all into Photos and manage them from there. You can keep the original files as a backup they'll be copied not moved into the Photos library #but you'll probably find that's a much better way to deal with them all. Plus, if you're willing to pay for iCloud storage, the iCloud Photo Library feature will keep your entire photo collection totally in sync between your Mac and your iPhone/iPad devices. It's quite magical, really

Quote:
Also, while streaming to my Apple TV is seamless I have an issue which was also the case with my iphone. Whenever I try to stream I set it up for what I thought was a one time code it ask every time! Any way to stop this?
The easiest way to deal with this is to go into the Apple TV Settings app, select AirPlay, and turn "Security" to "None" and "Require Device Verification" to OFF. While this will obviously allow anybody on your Wi-Fi network to stream to your Apple TV, if you've got a secure Wi-Fi network it really shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
About bootcamp, I think I won't touch windows here for now. I am not throwing away my old box but no longer really desire my old games for the moment, most of my gaming is on my iPhone now and there are a few games for Mac (notably X-plane for simming) but I just don't spend that much time on it anymore. there are good/excellent apps for anything else I did on Windows for Mac (work etc.) so I am not missing anything.
Yeah, I found that I gradually got more and more away from Bootcamp over the years. I don't even have a Bootcamp partition on my Mac anymore, and I can't remember the last time I opened VMware Fusion to use Windows.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Senior Lounger

Thanks for the tips, a bit of a late answer but as it happens I checked things out as you suggested and while some of my pictures had in fact as I already said the date of creation, others did not - none of my documents (pdfs, word etc.) seemed to have them. So I did it the old fashioned way and just deleted and transferred all my files with a usb stick - took less time than I thought actually.

As for the photos app - I guess in a way it's like an itunes for pictures, just a way to organise them for viewing as you said the originals are untouched in the pictures folder.

As it is my gaming habits have changed and there are a few alternatives (X-plane for example) that don't need windows so unless I get a real hankering to play the rare windows only game (Il-2 for example) I won't bother with bootcamp.

Only problem remaining are issues with some old wav files (old songs from WWII and the depression era) that would play on my phone but no longer in itunes either on my old windows 7 computer or my current mac. I wonder if that is the reason everytime I do a sync and backup even though it apparently works I get a message "could not write to Mac HD" - though everything seems fine otherwise. I just found out that I can convert these files to aac so might try that.

Fun times ahead anyway.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Thanks for the tips, a bit of a late answer but as it happens I checked things out as you suggested and while some of my pictures had in fact as I already said the date of creation, others did not - none of my documents (pdfs, word etc.) seemed to have them. So I did it the old fashioned way and just deleted and transferred all my files with a usb stick - took less time than I thought actually.
Interesting. Must be something weird with how the migration tool runs.... I haven't had to use any recent version of that tool, as I went from Windows to Mac back in 2005 and haven't looked back since

Quote:
As for the photos app - I guess in a way it's like an itunes for pictures, just a way to organise them for viewing as you said the originals are untouched in the pictures folder.
That's pretty much exactly what it is, as was iPhoto before it. The best aspect for me isn't just the organization, but the fact that it syncs with iCloud Photo Library so you get the same view, and access to ALL of your pictures, across all of your iOS devices. Granted, you have to pay for iCloud storage to do this if you've got a large library, but for me it's worth it.

Quote:
Only problem remaining are issues with some old wav files (old songs from WWII and the depression era) that would play on my phone but no longer in itunes either on my old windows 7 computer or my current mac. I wonder if that is the reason everytime I do a sync and backup even though it apparently works I get a message "could not write to Mac HD" - though everything seems fine otherwise. I just found out that I can convert these files to aac so might try that.
That error is interesting, and it might also be worth double-checking in Finder on the Mac to ensure that these files are "writeable" I've had some similarly weird errors like that in the past, and sometimes even if the file looks okay, going into the "Get Info" on it, toggling the "Locked" option on and then going in and toggling it off again sometimes helps.

However, conversion is probably your best bet anyway. With the era these WAV files are from, you're probably not going to lose any appreciable quality if you simply take them to 256kbps AAC files, and they'll take up less space as well.

Fun times ahead anyway.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 AM

Senior Lounger

Well it was an album of wallpapers I had synced from my old computer - photo syncing was turned off and I realised something was wrong when trying to clean up some photos I no longer wanted could not be deleted! As I mentioned on the iPhone forum, just turned it on deleted and everything was ok afterward.

I will definitely look at iCloud - I really like the Photo app and it works with my old non-iPhone photos fine.

Yes I converted my old files, you can do that directly in finder. Thanks again for your help!

Topic: Switching to MacOS

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.