Music Organization ? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Music Organization ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Junior Lounger

Music Organization ?

Dear fellow iTunes users, I am just beginning to upload disc material onto a fresh-slate of itunes power ! Power? while I expect that when viewing my library as either songs or artists to see a 'list' however when viewing under "Albums" why is it that songs 'belonging' to the same Album title are listed separately (and with an annoying gigantic 'album-cover icon'). I only have 12 songs so far (7 in the aforementioned LP collection) and the scroll to see them is already rediculous. Does this make sense. Should I bash Apple for being oblivious to basic sensible organization? Im inclined, you should know. Sorry for the rant, but as Mel Brooks said, they had it coming---perhaps... Thanks for your help Happy New Year ! Chrisman
Old 12-27-2016, 09:16 PM

Junior Lounger

For the record, this is not a reply rather an addendum to my above post of December 27th: Am I to believe that ranting here is frowned upon or in, now, 53 views that no one with interest enough to view the post has any solution. Maybe there is none---which if you know please tell. to simplify, perhaps I will pose the question of HOW to consolidate songs that are derrived from a single Album to be shown when viewing 'Albums' a one icon with the multiple songs, perhaps, in a sub set location. This organization seems very fundamental to me but may not be, nor annoying to anyone else. Thanks for your advising. Chrisman
Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 AM

I would guess that those 53 views are spiders and newbies. Neither has the capability of answering your question.

As for the separation of some tracks into different album sections, even though they are from the same album, this is usually caused by the exclusion of disc number or track number information from some tracks.

So if the first 7 of your tracks have Disc 1 of 1, where the 8th-10th say nothing in the Disc setting, then they will be considered to be different albums. A similar situation exists with track numbers, where the first track says it is track 1 of 10 and the last track has no track information, or even worse, incorrect track information (track 10 of 21), this will also cause album splits.

Since most of us use the album information provided to us by Gracenote through iTunes, and that information is uploaded by the users of iTunes and other such services, there is a good chance that that information can be incorrect. Paying attention to the details can help resolve these issues at the time the CD is imported, not everyone is perfect, and thus has to change the data after it is imported.

Selecting the track by left clicking on it, then looking at the track data by right clicking on it and selecting Get Info will show you all the details, and allow you to resolve any issues that need to be remedied.

If by chance you have verified that all the track and disc number information is correct, and you still have the split, you may have to look at the Artist field. Sometimes when artists work with others, the Artist field will get both names, instead of the main artist, you may see Mickey Mouse as the artist in some tracks, and Mickey Mouse featuring Donald Duck in others. This will also cause albums to split up as the artist is different. The general recommendation is to set the Artist on all tracks to be the same, or put up with the split.

Continuing the long winded answer to the long winded question, there are other fields in the Get Info window that can cause splits. Album and Artist can have errant spaces before or after the text, causing differences. Spelling is also another issue we run into with getting data from the general population of the internet. Lastly, the Compilation setting. The Compilation setting is supposed to mark albums that are done by multiple artists. But sometimes the denizens of the internet set some tracks as compilation while others are not. Making the setting consistent within the album will resolve it.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Junior Lounger

Dear cjmnews, Hey, thanks for the long-winded reply. I think I get it---and, for recognition of 'denizens of the Internet' mentality. Happy New Year ! more querries to come ! chrisman

Topic: Music Organization ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.