Getting Playlist SD card to play right on car's audio system-Help. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Getting Playlist SD card to play right on car's audio system-Help.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Junior Lounger

Getting Playlist SD card to play right on car's audio system-Help.

I'm not sure you guys can help me, but I'll give it a try.
I have several Genius playlists on my iTunes (on a PC) that I'd like to transfer to an SD card. That is easy enough, but I would like to be able to transfer the playlists such that they will either be called up by voice (if that is possible) or that they will be able to be individually selected via my car's Comand system (2017 Mercedes C300 coupe). Also would like to have the ability to have the songs within the playlists shuffle when played (again, if possible.) Thanks.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Reading the manual https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...AND_Manual.pdf after page 141, it seems that the SD card does not support playlists directly.

You can however plug in your iPhone to the USB port and get that functionality.

You can put a Playlist of tracks into a folder, to mimic the playlist.
Getting it to Shuffle would be to use Playback Mode: Random Track List

The voice control information is not available to the general public, so I can't tell if you can work this with voice. I suspect you can.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-26-2016, 01:39 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Reading the manual https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...AND_Manual.pdf after page 141, it seems that the SD card does not support playlists directly.

You can however plug in your iPhone to the USB port and get that functionality.

You can put a Playlist of tracks into a folder, to mimic the playlist.
Getting it to Shuffle would be to use Playback Mode: Random Track List

The voice control information is not available to the general public, so I can't tell if you can work this with voice. I suspect you can.
Unfortunately, I don't use an iphone.
Initially, I tried Doubletwist as it was successful with my other car (2013 ATS) in enabling playlist to download and to control them vocally. However, when just now tried to install the latest DT, it wouldn't install and I kept getting an "Error 2" alert. After deleting everything associated with DT on the PC, I still kept getting the same error message that "...one or more files still may be in use..." So, I have given up on DT and will now try your very reasonable approach, but first let me ask: Just where will the Playlist of tracks folder reside before transferring to the SD card? In iTunes or on the PC? If it is on the PC, I know what to do (at least I think I do,) but if in iTunes, I'll need some guidance. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Create the folders on the SD Card (using Windows Explorer).
Create your Playlist in iTunes
Copy the songs from the playlist to the folder (select all tracks in the iTunes playlist, drag from iTunes, drop onto folder in Windows Explorer).

After a brief look at the Error 2, don't download and run that shady repair tool. No idea how to fix it, but that tool was a huge red flag.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 AM

Junior Lounger

Got it!

Thanks for your lead on folders. Using this site (How to Export an iTunes Playlist: 11 Steps (with Pictures),) I now understood what I had to do. Made folders the name of my playlists on the SD, copied music in iTunes playlist and directly pasted into corresponding folders on the SD. No need to change file extensions as it appears the car's system plays mp3/4 without problems. When playing in car, just had to go to select folder (playlist) from SD. Also, no problem with calling up individual artists/songs via voice command...just have to learn how to use the proper commands.

Topic: Getting Playlist SD card to play right on car's audio system-Help.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.