iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 PM

Junior Lounger

iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected

I have been trying to sync my iPhone with my iTunes on my computer but I keep getting the error "iTunes could not backup the iphone because the iphone disconnected"

It has not been synced since December 5. I can backup my iPad with the same cord and USB port without an issue. I even tried restarting my computer and try to sync it. It did not work. I tried to restore a backup, but iTunes says my password is not correct even though I just changed my password. So I can't restore my iPhone to my last backup on the 5th. I don't know what to do.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:49 AM

My guess is that your iPhone is being detected that it needs to be scanned and fixed by Windows. The prompts fly by and the conflict between the software makes it hard to clear.

First off open iTunes, click on Edit->Preferences and go to the Devices section.
Put a check mark next to Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically
Click OK.

Unplug the iPhone.
Plug in the iPhone
On the Scan and Fix prompt, click on Scan and Fix
Then click on Close to complete it.

Go back into iTunes
Click on Edit->Preferences and go to the Devices section.
Remove the check mark next to Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically
Click OK.

Unplug the iPhone and plug it back in.

Sync should work.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 PM

Junior Lounger

Thank you for your advice. I tried to dot it this evening but I never got the scan and fix message. I checked on the computer option, but my iPhone never was recognized by my computer. I unplugged it several times and tried using different USB port and lightening cable. Nothing worked. I plugged in my iPad and it was recognized immediately. Maybe this the actual problem. In the past, I thought a couple of times when I plugged my iPhone and my computer recognized the iPhone but I still could not sync and got the error message iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone is disconnected. I don't know how to my computer to recognize my iPhone. The cord and USB port are not the issue.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:58 PM

Then this is a driver issue.
See Apple's Help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095
Look at the driver section.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-21-2016, 12:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

It could also be a broken backup jamming up the incremental backup process. I'd try renaming the folder for the original backup (to make it no longer the "primary" backup that gets updated) and then try making the backup again.

Windows 8 and 10: In the Windows search bar type %appdata% (with the percents) and press return/enter. A file browser window will open to the Application Data folder.

Windows 7, Vista, XP: From the start menu, select Run. In the run box, type %appdata% (with the percents) and press return/enter. A file browser window will open to the Application Data folder.

From there, navigate to Apple Computer -> MobileSync -> Backup.

The folders in here are backups named by your UDID (which you can find by clicking on the serial number field in iTunes... that doesn't look clickable)

Rename the folder matching your UDID and try backing up again.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 PM

Junior Lounger

I tried to follow cjmnews advice about the Apple driver. I went to the device manager on my computer. I looked under the universal serial bus controllers. I found the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. It did not have any error symbol next to it. It just had the normal symbol. I tried to update the driver, but It said the driver software is up to date. The computer still does not find my iphone. In itunes it does show up, but I cant sync or restore it. What should I try next?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Uninstall the driver.
Unplug the iPhone.
Plug in the iPhone.

Hopefully it will install the driver into a usable state this time.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Junior Lounger

How do I properly uninstall the driver ? Uninstall the driver while the iPhone is connected?
Old 12-23-2016, 04:54 PM

Instead of update, click uninstall.

Details:
Open Device Manager (in Control Panel)
Click the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
Click the + sign next to each:
Imaging Devices
Other Devices
Portable Devices
Universal Serial Bus Controllers
until you find Apple iPhone
Right Click Apple iPhone and choose Uninstall
Follow the prompts.
Unplug your iPhone
Reboot
Plug in your iPhone

Hopefully it will install and be recognized.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Junior Lounger

Just to be correct. You mean the apple mobile device USB driver?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Yes, you are correct.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Junior Lounger

Ok, I did what you advised. I uninstalled , restarted and plugged it in. The driver was installed, The computer recognized the Iphone, but it is the wrong icon. It does not look like the iphone. The apple mobile device USB driver is missing under the universal seriel bus controllers. I have Iphone under the portable device in device manager. My itunes does not recognized the Iphone. I tried to update the Driver, but it said it was up to date.The driver is MTP USB Device. I dont think that is the right driver. I reread the link you gave me previous post, and looked at manual update the driver but I dont understand what to do.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:55 PM

That did not install correctly, as it is not a MTP USB Device.

Try updating it again.
This time choose, Browse My computer for driver software
Click on Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Uncheck Show compatible hardware
-- You can try to see if Apple is in the manufacturer list.
-- If it is, then choose Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
--- If it is not, Click Have Disk
--- Then Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and select usbaapl64
--- or if there isn't a Drivers folder, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and select usbaapl64, then Click OK
Click Next
Then Click Finish.
Reboot
Plug in your iPhone

Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM

Junior Lounger

I have been away for the holidays. Merry Christmas

I followed your directions. Apple was not manufacturer list. I selected have disk and found the driver under program files location. I installed, rebooted, and plugged my iPhone in. Now I have the apple mobile device USB driver under the Universal Serial Bus controller in the device manager. But I still have the issue the iPhone is not showing up in my computer again. iTunes can't sync or restore my iPhone and I get the error the iPhone is disconnected. I don't know what to do now
Old 12-27-2016, 11:20 PM

Merry Christmas.

You need to be sure the Apple Mobile Device Service is enabled and running..
You can find this in the Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Services. See if Apple Mobile Device Service iS installed and if it is make sure it not disabled, if both are true, try restarting the Apple Mobile Device Service then plug in the iPhone again and see if it is recognized.

Topic: iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.