iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-28-2016, 12:07 AM

Junior Lounger

I went into Control Panel, and found Apple mobile device services. It was started and autmoatic. I unplugged my iphone, and clicked the restart button on the top left corner. I plugged my iphone in but my computer does not recognize the iphone. I tried to sync the iphone but I get the same disconnect error message.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 AM

You may have a bad installation of iTunes. The disconnection may be that you have a different Apple Mobile Device version than iTunes.

I would uninstall all Apple software: iTunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Service, Apple Updater, iPod Helper...
Then I would install iTunes again.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Junior Lounger

Ok, but when I connect my iPad with the same cable and same iTunes account I don't have either issue. Would the different apple mobile device version affect both my iPhone and iPad in the same way?

If I unistall. How do I save my library so I can simply import it after I reinstall. I don't want to lose my music and library. Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 PM

You are correct, the Apple Mobile Device service would fail for the iPad too. So that is probably not it.

Generally, you can uninstall and install again, and your library should be there ready to use. On a rare occasion, something goes wrong, but a good backup can usually resolve that.

I am starting to think that maybe that other guy has the right idea, and that this phone has a bad backup that iTunes is trying to compare against.

Quote:
Windows 8 and 10: In the Windows search bar type %appdata% (with the percents) and press return/enter. A file browser window will open to the Application Data folder.

Windows 7, Vista, XP: From the start menu, select Run. In the run box, type %appdata% (with the percents) and press return/enter. A file browser window will open to the Application Data folder.
(Windows 8 and Windows 10) Search -> type %appdata% (with the percents) and press return.

From there, navigate to Apple Computer -> MobileSync -> Backup.

The folders in here are backups named by your UDID (which you can find by clicking on the serial number field in iTunes... that doesn't look clickable)

Rename the folder matching your UDID and try backing up again.
This is what I would try next.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-28-2016, 11:16 PM

Junior Lounger

Ok,

I got to the right location Apple Computer -> MobileSync -> Backup. There were 6 different files named with a series of numbers and letter. Not sure what to do or which file to pick. I think I might need simplier instuctions, lol
Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 PM

Oh yeah, you can't do that trick because iTunes won't recognize your phone. That is why I didn't pay attention to the post the first time.

You'll need to use an app to find it, like https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nkey...418070452?mt=8 or any other free app for UDID that you can install and run on your phone. This UDID is the same as the folder name your backup is stored in.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Junior Lounger

Ok, Itunes does recognize my iphone, it just cant back up or sync. The computer does not recognize the iphone.

I went into Itunes and got my UDID name. Then I go to the backup file and find the UDID name in the backup file. There are two of them with the same number, except one has a series of addtional numbers. What do you need to do?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Rename the folder that is the same as your UDID. Add an extension to it for example. Or rename it to OLD.

Then click the Sync button in iTunes.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Ok, what do I do with the file that has UDID name with the additional numbers and letter? nothing? Just rename the file with the exact name of the my UDID?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:16 PM

Ignore that one. That is an old backup from a prior use (different hardware)

Old 12-29-2016, 06:45 PM

Junior Lounger

I did it. It seems to have resolved both my issues. I can sync now and my computer recognizes my iphone correctly. Thank you both for all your help.

Topic: iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.