Syncing Itunes with Iphone - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Syncing Itunes with Iphone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Syncing Itunes with Iphone

Hi I notice when I upload CDs to ITunes they show up in the My Music part of my IPhone 6 plus. But once in a while a track will not be playable. I can see it on my IPhone but it is grayed out and when I hit it it says not playable, How can I be sure everything on my ITunes comes over to my IPhone thanks
Old 10-07-2016, 05:49 PM

Apple will say:
1. Use latest iTunes
2. Use latest iOS
3. Use only Apple Cable
4. Be sure there are no USB hubs between the computer and the Apple Cable.

I would add:
A. Don't sync over wifi
B. Check that the song is playable in iTunes
C. Verify your computer hard drive is healthy (no errors in Event log)

If you want to fix the grayed out song, remove it from the iPhone and Sync again.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Senior Lounger

The sync process has some random glitch that prevents some music from uploading. Itís frustrating.

Make sure you are updated to the latest iOS 11 version. Then select to sync playlists only, by selecting each playlist, or making a playlist with all music. Seems iTunes can do a better job with playlists.

Have also removed all music and sync again to clear all out. Then sync a third time to put all music back on again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Sorry a newbie decided to post to 18 threads last night, with redundant information already provided, or no information at all.

You can log bugs against iTunes, at bugreport.apple.com, just log in with your Apple ID.
They may ask you for logs, and provide ways to get the logs.

Since I am not seeing this problem (that I notice) then I can't report it.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM

Senior Lounger

No worries about newbee posts. This subject is obscure enough that any discussion is good.

Adding new note: found that ITUNES actually will write the ID3 tags in the new 2.4 version back to the stored MP3. Had an external app that needed the latest ID3 tag version to work. Only iTunes did it correct. But you can to select that in the menus to write the tags back. Not a well known correction.

Overall it does seem that Apple is still fixing iTunes slightly and must be listening to customers issues.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM

It is recommended to use ID3 v2.3 for best compatibility to other devices.

iTunes CAN write them out, but doesn't do it when you think it should, like alter the Artist (remove a featured artist to get the sorting right) and iTunes usually will not write out the ID3 tags. Now Convert ID3 tags and they all get written out by iTunes.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Senior Lounger

Syncing Itunes with Iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
It is recommended to use ID3 v2.3 for best compatibility to other devices.

iTunes CAN write them out, but doesn't do it when you think it should, like alter the Artist (remove a featured artist to get the sorting right) and iTunes usually will not write out the ID3 tags. Now Convert ID3 tags and they all get written out by iTunes.

I use the CONVERT ID3 to get it to work for me in ITUNES and external apps. Will be more aware that is the only way. Only using ITUNES and a couple other music apps and they can handle 2.4 ID3 fine .

Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Senior Lounger

After more testing found that ID3 v2.3 will work fine. Some old app was giving me false information.

Now just need to resolve and accept that iTunes will rename files in its sorting method to directories of artist and album. Would rather have file names with artist-album-track number-song title.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Actually you can stop iTunes from doing that if you want, and organize the files and naming however you want. Though I can't imagine wanting to do this as I don't care how they are organized or named as long as they are on my device to hear later.

In iTunes you can go to Edit->Preferences, the Advanced tab and uncheck Keep iTunes Media Folder organized to stop the renaming of files. Most people also uncheck Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library too. Then Click OK.

Now you can rename the files how you wish, and move them around where you wish using Windows Explorer. After you rename or move a file, then you get to locate it in iTunes when you try and play it or access the Get Info window. Then you can show iTunes where you put it and what it is named now. This pain is just for the files that are already in your library.

New songs should be placed where you want them, and named how you want them BEFORE adding them to iTunes. This avoids the Locating step above. If the ID3 tags are not updated with the Album and Artist, etc. then you may also need to update that information in the iTunes Get Info (Song Info) window.

Anytime you move or rename a song, you will have to tell iTunes what the changes are before you can sync or play the song. But if you do it up front, then iTunes will be happy to let you have your own organization scheme.

There is a limit to song file name length though. 36 characters based on what I am seeing in my library. The ID3 v2.3 tags can of course handle a lot longer.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 AM

Senior Lounger

cjmnews - am familiar with your wise suggestions. Automatic iTunes organization can have its disadvantages.

Topic: Syncing Itunes with Iphone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.