iTunes is not playing the song I want!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

adamp90

Good afternoon, I'm new to the forums here, and I have an issue with my iTunes I was hoping someone could shed some light on. This has only been happening for a day or so:-

I'm on iTunes (the most up-to-date I believe - 11?) - on the song list page. When I double click on a song to play, it plays another one further down the list, and rarely the one I actually want.

I've noticed that about 90% of the time it starts playing the next purchased song in the list (i.e. one I have bought from the iTunes store or I've uploaded from a CD). The majority of my library are songs I've downloaded from somewhere on the internet.

I've been downloading songs (over 20,000), for years and never had this problem. It started the other day.

Anyone experienced similar? Know of a reason and/or solution?

Many thanks,

adamp90

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Sounds like something is corrupt in your iTunes installation, have you tried removing and re-installing iTunes? (does not affect your library)

adamp90

Thanks for the speedy response. I'll try that now and report back.

adamp90

kornchild2002

Are the files on an external hard drive? Is iTunes able to physically locate the files you are trying to play?

adamp90

No external hard drive. And they eventually play if I click enough.

kornchild2002

Have you tried playing the files using other software? It could be a hard drive issue. Did you install the correct version of iTunes? There are two versions now, one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit. Make sure you install the right one. Also, what happens when you put some of the problematic songs in a playlist (and only a handful of problematic tracks) and try to play them? Does iTunes play them right away?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
There are two versions now, one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit. Make sure you install the right one.
Is that true? My understanding is that there is a 64 bit installer program, but the iTunes program always runs as 32 bit even on a 64 bit machine. The iTunes installation file I have is "iTunes64Setup.exe" but Task Manager identifies iTunes as "iTunes.exe *32", and yes my PC is running 64 bit Windows 7. I could be wrong, but I think iTunes is the same program on either type of CPU, but for some reason the installer is differentiated.

kornchild2002

Yes, they are technically the same programs but iTunes installed on a 64-bit system, with the 32-bit installer, has caused issues for people. Those problems are cleared up by using the 64-bit installer. Some of the underlying components installed along with iTunes are 64-bit but the actual iTunes.exe file is still 32-bit.

The funny thing is that iTunes is truly a 64-bit program for OS X but not for Windows. Either way, using the 64-bit installer for a 64-bit version of Windows is always recommended as some of those underlying components have compatibility issues if the 32-bit installer is used.

cjmnews

Staff member
There was that "feature" where limewire songs will not play in iTunes several years back, I wonder if this is that again?

Other issues to could be: The songs that don't play do not have check marks next to them, Out of date Quicktime installation, Shuffle is turned on (unlikely), out of date Quicktime installation.

If you right click one of the files and choose Show song in Windows Explorer, then right click the file and Open With Quicktime, does it play?

adamp90

Things seem to be okay now, strangely.

Thanks for the input, folks.