ERROR message MSVCR80.dll

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

maroonx42

I updated to the lastest itunes but when I click on it to open it i get an error message "This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.". I attempted to install in safemode, numerous attempts to re install. Nothing has worked so far.

cjmnews

Staff member
This was an issue mostly with Vista, but other OSs have seen it too.

In the reinstall process did you remember to remove all Apple programs (iTunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Service, Quicktime and Apple Software Update) before you installed iTunes again?

Have you tried to install the Microsoft VC++ 2005 redistributable which will reinstall this missing file? Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update from Official Microsoft Download Center

manchali

This is a HUGE issue for many with Win 7 64 bit as well. Apple discussion forums have been very busy with this topic since yesterday. it seems every few minutes a user posts about this issue. A user over there keeps giving the same advice and it worked for me: (I pasted it since the Apple Discussion forums, like Gmail are currently down "We Are Busy Updating Apple Support Communties for you and will be back shortly".)

turingtest2
Re: msvcr80.dll
Jan 24, 2014 11:38 AM (in response to HJZMiller)
Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (Win XP) or Programs and Features (later)

Remove all of these items in the following order:
iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support (if this won't uninstall move on to the next item)
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

Reboot, download iTunes, then reinstall, either using an account with administrative rights, or right-clicking the downloaded installer and selecting Run as Administrator.

The uninstall and reinstall process will preserve your iTunes library and settings, but ideally you would back up the library and your other important personal documents and data on a regular basis. See this user tip for a suggested technique.

Please note:
Some users may need to follow all the steps in whichever of the following support documents applies to their system. These include some additional manual file and folder deletions not mentioned above.
HT1925: Removing and Reinstalling iTunes for Windows XP
HT1923: Removing and reinstalling iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
For me the Apple Mobile Device Support would not uninstall, I followed all the other steps and it still worked for me.

Last edited:

maroonx42

Thanks everyone. It worked. I was getting extremely frustrated before reading the advice. Kudos!!!!!

manchali

YW. Glad it solved the issue. I'm just glad it was an easy fix and many people who did not back up their iTunes were still in good shape. But it is a good reminder to do so, next time the solution may not be so forgiving.

As a relatively new iPhone user I'm not even sure what the ramifications could be for those backups since before this year I've only ever used iTunes for my iPod and have not yet delved into the ins and outs what is involved in safe guarding that.

As a general rule of thumb, besides backing up where my music is stored, I try to have backups of these folders:
C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes
AppData folders:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apple Computer
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer

The Complete Guide to Backing Up your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

lionofludesch

I'll have a go at that later.

Has Apple ever heard of the maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

:mad:

manchali

Fair enough - though the stuff on the link is WAY over my head.:confused::shake:

Anyway, the fix worked - even if it did take the better part of an hour to complete - thanks for that.
It's over my head too. Glad the fix worked. Yeah I didn't appreciate the crash, but it is the first time in a long time that I've had issues with an update. Took me a lot longer because I had to go search the web for a solution.

I miss the older iTunes, have not been a fan of 11. although it's the only music manager I use, I do a lot less tagging/smart playlists than the old days just b/c there are several features that I sorely miss like opening multiple windows and the small artwork window that used to be in the bottom left so I could quickly view artwork for each song. I can only hope they bring those 2 back some day but I doubt it.

lionofludesch

Hmm - now I'm being urged to "turn off compatibility mode for iTunes before I open it".

How does that work ?

cjmnews

Staff member
You right click the shortcut, go to Properties, then to Compatibility and uncheck the compatibility modes that you have turned on. There is no need for Compatibility Mode for iTunes.

lionofludesch

You right click the shortcut, go to Properties, then to Compatibility and uncheck the compatibility modes that you have turned on. There is no need for Compatibility Mode for iTunes.
Shortcut ? :confused:

There is no shortcut.:(

lionofludesch

If you didn't create a desktop shortcut, you can browse to where you launch iTunes in the start menu and right click on that. (or search iTunes.exe in the search programs and files box from the start menu)

Alternatively:
iTunes for Windows: How to turn off Compatibility Mode
Gotcha!!!

How do you know all this ?:)

I used to have a desktop shortcut but it disappeared as part of the new update.:mad:

manchali

I used to have a desktop shortcut but it disappeared as part of the new update.:mad:
You can create a new desktop shortcut if you like. Just browse to your folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes, right click on iTunes.exe and you will see "create shortcut"

(I pin mine to taskbar instead).

lionofludesch

You can create a new desktop shortcut if you like. Just browse to your folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes, right click on iTunes.exe and you will see "create shortcut"

(I pin mine to taskbar instead).
Couldn't find "create shortcut" but "pin to taskbar" will do for me.:)

Thanks!!:D

manchali

Cool. I think you only see the create shortcut link if you go to the program files folder, not the other ways where you can access the compatibility mode properties.

kornchild2002

I think it's a little different. Right-click on the iTunes.exe file and then go to "Send to" and then you should see "Desktop (create shortcut)."

That should still work when opening in compatibility mode as Windows is smart enough to open the actual EXE file in compatibility mode and not just the shortcut.

manchali

I think it's a little different. Right-click on the iTunes.exe file and then go to "Send to" and then you should see "Desktop (create shortcut)."
After a long time, I've learned something new (a new way to "create shortcut"), thanks. On Win 7 x64 the create shortcut option is not in the start menu shortcut's right click context menu, just the context menu of the itunes.exe in the program files, though you can get to properties (compat mode) from both.